Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #121
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Anyone here hunt hamsters?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #122

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
No but I know of some rounds that would be perfect for them.

How about a 14 Ackley Hornet? or a 14/221 Walker?

Don't believe me 14 Caliber bullets, barrels and reloading supplies

Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #123

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Pellet guns are good for field mice. I know that for a fact. I just threw them away too,didn't eat them.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #124
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
BBC News - France warned by EU court over rare hamsters Oh lordy, don't get the EU's conservationista's pissed at us now.

Personally, I don't hunt often and do abide by the hunting laws/regs when doing so (why i don't duck hunt ever, can't tell them apart). However, i personally have no problem with somebody shooting and leaving non-edible species where they fall; buzzards need chow too. I also have no problem with trophy hunters, even the ones desperate enough to go on "canned hunts" (maybe an inner chuckle at their sillyness, but hey whatever floats their boat). As far as deer go, my area and many other areas have a problem with deer overpopulation that the wildlife management agencies seem unable/unwilling to handle on their own, so i don't have much of a problem with people hunting them any relatively legal/relatively safe way they want to. They can kill them, stack them, and watch them rot for all i care; the jaywalking deer they kill/"waste" might be the one that was due to step in front of my sister's car some dark night. I don't particularly agree with drawing the deer into an area with bait, but i won't fault a man for baiting if his concience can handle it.

Now bears, well, to hell with each and every one of them not currently protected in a zoo. They should be rounded up and exterminated; perhaps their organs could be used to pay off our debt to China.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 03-28-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #125
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I eat all the hamsters I kill. Best part is the tail. I know it's just a nibble but dang if it isn't tasty!

Tango, the 14 Ackley Hornet is what I hunt with exclusively when it comes to hamster. There really is nothing like stalking an active hamster, especially during mating season. One wrong move and that thing is on you like white on rice. Don't under estimate them!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Last edited by spittinfire; 03-29-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #126

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

People. It is about to get back to the subject of squirrel hunting.

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel

Old 03-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #127

Back to squirrels anybody got any good ways of cooking them I usually fry them or cook them on a spit over the fire. Still got quite a few in the freezer and would like to try them another way

Old 03-29-2011, 02:45 AM   #128

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We like to add squirrel to a hunter's stew along with rabbit, pheasant, venison, pearl onions and new potatoes with red wine in it served over wild rice. Takes a while to fix but to us it is well worth the effort.

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel

Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #129
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7831 Times on 4520 Posts
Likes Given: 10082

I stew them like rabbits. The rabbits are about the same size a squirrels around here.

Hey, earlier on the thread got on a tangent and people were talking about how some animals "can't" be eaten, specifically the cats. I'll tell you that many of the early Western explorers preferred the meat of a mountain lion over anything else. Kit Carson said it was his favorite meat.

I have friends who are from Viet Nam (natives) who ate rat regularly out of necessity, they say it ain't bad at all as long as it (the rat) has been eating good food. My take-away from that is that you shouldn't eat anything from the city.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #130
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I have friends who are from Viet Nam (natives) who ate rat regularly out of necessity, they say it ain't bad at all as long as it (the rat) has been eating good food. My take-away from that is that you shouldn't eat anything from the city.
Back in the early 1990's, there was an article in the Wall Street Journal about a restaurant in Beijing, China that specialized in farm-raised rat. I tried to get in touch with the restaurant (got as far as their message service) to get some recipes for squirrel for my family and friends. Just think, General Tsao's Rat, mmmmmmm.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.