You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 03:11 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just to add a little light to this topic that this thread has turned into, earlier this year during deer season in KY we were driving on our way to a friends house when we came to a stop sign (we're in more of country, farms kinda rural are). but we came to a stop sign and on the shoulder of the road in a slight run-off ditch we came across 4 dead deer thrown on top of each other right there on the side of the road for disposal. One had its backstraps taken and nothing else, two were gutted but no meat taken and one wasn't even touched. All of them small deer and the males were missing their antlers. The sight made my husband, friends and myself sick. It was one of the most disgusting sights I have ever seen. The season before my husband and I were shot at by poachers from their truck (not sure if it was on purpose) but to say the least we immediately climbed out of our stands and loaded up the car and followed these men. Keeping in mind we weren't in the truck and in the camry on a single lane road with ditches on either side we didn't get too close but followed long enough to get the plate and description on the truck and called a friend who works for KYF&W to get him and anyone else in the area to get these guys, unfortunately the truck wasn't seen and the plates were bs. Till this day the guys in that truck and the deer on the side of the road make me see red when I think of it. so i tend to agree, the people who see crap like that and don't get mad are the ones who need the counseling.

I too, just like mossyoakman3006, donate to hunters for the hungry. There are people in my immediate community that we give deer to first and after we keep 2 for ourselves, any other deer we have are donated. "hunters for the hungry" is a great organization and if anyone ever has left over meat there are organizations like "hunters for the hungry" all over the country.
Happy and safe hunting all.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #112
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Ground squirrels should be shot with a variety of .22's at long range. It is just plain, good fun, and since they are nasty with disease you don't want to be eating them (they are rats with furry tails).

The arboreal rats (or tree squirrels) on the other hand, are good eating, so you want to preserve as much meat as you can. Personally I prefer a pellet gun or a low velocity .22, if a shotgun I would use a 410 because you are shooting at only one target unlike when hunting birds where ideally you are shooting into a flock of them on the wing and can expect to hit more than one bird with your spread (not that this happens as often as we would like!). Of course the 410 factory loads are criminally expensive.

With a shotgun you still have to be accurate but you have the margin of error in the spread of your pattern. With a pellet gun you can hit it in the head and you don't need to worry about killing somebody a mile away.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #113
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

"Trophy Hunters" are not hunters at all in my mind, they are killers. Plain and simple. That having been said, there are many people who I admire for other reasons who hunt or who have hunted for trophies. I have a hard time reconciling this in my own mind.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #114

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
"Trophy Hunters" are not hunters at all in my mind, they are killers. Plain and simple. .
My sentiments exactly. Another group that I have no use for are those who partake in canned hunts or pride themselves about shooting pen raised birds. Those who do aren't hunters they are just out for the thrill of killing something.

There is a farm close by us that raises elk and every year ships around fifty trophy bulls to someplace in Texas to be killed by some low life for a trophy for their walls. I have no respect at all for the people who kill these animals or the man who raises them.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #115

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
My sentiments exactly. Another group that I have no use for are those who partake in canned hunts or pride themselves about shooting pen raised birds. Those who do aren't hunters they are just out for the thrill of killing something.

There is a farm close by us that raises elk and every year ships around fifty trophy bulls to someplace in Texas to be killed by some low life for a trophy for their walls. I have no respect at all for the people who kill these animals or the man who raises them.
That's horrible and sad and I agree completely. I would never go bear hunting personally because I have no desire to eat bear. I hear it's great but if I'm not going to eat it im not going to kill it and I honestly don't want one stuffed and put in my house. I admire and respect animals, I can't imagine killing one for sport or trophy.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #116

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
Having been licensed to practice as psychologist for over forty years I am of the opinion that those who do not take offense to witnessing the butchery left in the field by supposed hunters are the ones who need professional help. When I was young learning to hunt with my father one of his rules were “If you shoot it find it and don't come home until you do”. Another one of his rules was “If you kill a varmint dispose of the body the right way, don't just leave it to lay there and rot”. I have lived by these simple rules for over sixty years and believe those who don't are not true hunters or sportsmen. My own personal rule is that if I don't intend to eat a game animal I won't hunt it. I go out to hunt not just kill.
I didn't say it wasn't offensive mr.psychologistbecauseyousaysoontheinternet. I just don't think it should make you think about killing the hunters so much that you express it on an open forum.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #117

Liked 3646 Times on 2062 Posts
Likes Given: 2470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I think you need some counseling.
Sorry, I disagree. I'm plain sick and tired of lazy jackholes who trash up

our outdoors, and arrogantly do as they please, because they can't be

bothered to do what they should.

While these wastes of life are bragging away in the comfort of their suburban

dens about their latest trophy to whatever pathetic numbskull will listen,

10 times as many people are finding the untended carcass in the woods,

and being sickened by the irresponsible actions of an immoral boor.

I WILL report anyone I find doing likewise, and be sure they lose

their hunting privileges for life, nationwide.

Lighten up there, Goju, if I didn't know better, I'd swear you either turned PC, or are intentionally trolling...

Last edited by therewolf; 03-28-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #118

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=therewolf;474443.

Lighten up there, Goju, if I didn't know better, I'd swear you either turned PC, or are intentionally trolling...[/QUOTE]

I took the bait in a private message which I feel is the proper venue to deal with intentionally salacious comments. I highly doubt that I will receive a response.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #119

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

I think we can all agree that

1. Canned hunts
2. trophy hunters
3. douche bags that take a few parts
4. people who kill to kill
5. poachers

are all scum of the earth. It is not up to me to punish them that is up to the big man and the law. If I see you doing it you better believe I will report you as I have the hot line on speed dial #3 I will do my best to get an accurate discription of you your vehicle and your lic plate number for them as well.

That is much more different that what I do as a varmint hunter. I don't randomly shoot gray, or fox squirrels for no reason. They are edible so there for if you shoot them you should eat them.

I shoot varmints, ground hogs, coyotes, ground squirrels. I use high powers small caliber highly accurate rifles for this. When I hit a squirrel at 300 yards you better believe I want it dead as quickly as possible. I never take a shot I can't make. Now I don't eat ground squirrels or ground hogs. We leave them for the bugs and yotes. There is nothing wrong with that as you can't eat them. Just like you can't eat coyote, wolf, or any of the big cats that I know of.

I think everyone needs to step away from this thread and relax a bit.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #120

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I think we can all agree that

1. Canned hunts
2. trophy hunters
3. douche bags that take a few parts
4. people who kill to kill
5. poachers

are all scum of the earth. It is not up to me to punish them that is up to the big man and the law. If I see you doing it you better believe I will report you as I have the hot line on speed dial #3 I will do my best to get an accurate discription of you your vehicle and your lic plate number for them as well.

That is much more different that what I do as a varmint hunter. I don't randomly shoot gray, or fox squirrels for no reason. They are edible so there for if you shoot them you should eat them.

I shoot varmints, ground hogs, coyotes, ground squirrels. I use high powers small caliber highly accurate rifles for this. When I hit a squirrel at 300 yards you better believe I want it dead as quickly as possible. I never take a shot I can't make. Now I don't eat ground squirrels or ground hogs. We leave them for the bugs and yotes. There is nothing wrong with that as you can't eat them. Just like you can't eat coyote, wolf, or any of the big cats that I know of.

I think everyone needs to step away from this thread and relax a bit.

+1 Thank you tango.