Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well just my opinion but I dont really feel bad killin critters like coyotes, crows, opossums, etc... and not eatin them. They do one hell of a number on deer, turkey, ducks, etc critters I do eat, also they reproduce alot quicker then the species that they prey on. In my mind its all about management, I dont mean kill everyone you come across but as long as its done responsibly I dont feel that it is wrong not to eat them

Old 03-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #102

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It's not so much eating as using. Every time I find a headless deer corpse in the wood, a little piece of me wants to start hunting the most dangerous game. If hunters don't take care of the outdoors, we won't have anything left to hunt.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 03-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #103

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
It's not so much eating as using. Every time I find a headless deer corpse in the wood, a little piece of me wants to start hunting the most dangerous game. If hunters don't take care of the outdoors, we won't have anything left to hunt.
Truer words have never been spoken. I know well the urge to kill when I see what some supposed hunters leave in the feild.

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel

Old 03-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #104

Oh, as far as that goes I think it is a sin to leave a deer in the woods. If you dont want it there are many hungery mouths out there that do. Usually, I try to donate at least one deer a year to hunters for the hungery. I was simply talking about animals that most find inedible. If I could find someone who would eat all the coyotes, coons, possoms, etc.. I shoot I would gladly give them the meat just havent come across someone like that yet.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #105

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

yah I would say for a little more of a challenge i'd use the .22 vs the shotgun but either way good luck with your hunting, be safe and have fun.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #106

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

I have to admit when I originally saw the thread title, my first thought was

somebody leveling down point blank on a squirrel with a 12 gauge,

buckshot, and phoom! Itty Bitty Critter vanishes in a red haze...

Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #107

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
Truer words have never been spoken. I know well the urge to kill when I see what some supposed hunters leave in the feild.
I think you need some counseling.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #108

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006 View Post
Well just my opinion but I dont really feel bad killin critters like coyotes, crows, opossums, etc... and not eatin them. They do one hell of a number on deer, turkey, ducks, etc critters I do eat, also they reproduce alot quicker then the species that they prey on. In my mind its all about management, I dont mean kill everyone you come across but as long as its done responsibly I dont feel that it is wrong not to eat them
I can understand what you're saying, my boyfriend and friends will shoot coyotes and I understand it and agree with it. The coyotes kill baby deer, rabbits, chickens, pups, cats and lots of other animals and they are not native species to the area at alllll. So i understand why it's done and agree with it, but ME PERSONALLY, i dont like to kill anything unless I, or someone i know, will eat it. thats just me personally though.
But animals that are native to the area and arent an invasive species, i dont believe in killing or anyone else killing. People may not like an animal like a vulture or an opossum but the reality is that every animal (native, that is supposed to be there, that is) places a role in the environment no matter how big or small they're there for a reason and other plants and animals tend to depend on that animal for whatever reason. I live in south florida and near the beach, now i love swimming but am not a fan at all of sharks, dont get me wrong they're cool animals but if i had the option i would not want to swim with them, however I don't believe they should be hunted and killed off for any reason.
Anywho now that i've blabbed on for long enough....

Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #109

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I think you need some counseling.
Having been licensed to practice as psychologist for over forty years I am of the opinion that those who do not take offense to witnessing the butchery left in the field by supposed hunters are the ones who need professional help. When I was young learning to hunt with my father one of his rules were “If you shoot it find it and don't come home until you do”. Another one of his rules was “If you kill a varmint dispose of the body the right way, don't just leave it to lay there and rot”. I have lived by these simple rules for over sixty years and believe those who don't are not true hunters or sportsmen. My own personal rule is that if I don't intend to eat a game animal I won't hunt it. I go out to hunt not just kill.

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel

Old 03-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #110

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I have to admit when I originally saw the thread title, my first thought was

somebody leveling down point blank on a squirrel with a 12 gauge,

buckshot, and phoom! Itty Bitty Critter vanishes in a red haze...
lol my first thought went to that too, but then opened the thread....