What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #91
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hunted squirrels from the time I was old enought to shoot until late teens when I went to work for my uncle. Always used a .22 revolver or rifle then, now 60 years later I use a 410 or 28 ga. for the first one or two tree rats because I think they're the best eating in the world. After I get enough for the table I still use a .22 because I just like the solitude of the hunt (and hunting something that can't hunt me back). As always the old firstsoldier.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #92

Liked 2506 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

Sorry, IDVague, I didn't say it was good, ethical, practical, or slimming, to use a BBgun

for squirrels. Apparently you missed my point entirely. I apologize.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #93

I use both if I wanna walk around I'll use the shotgun if I feel like sittin use the rifle, for my experiance I would say that 90% of the time squirrels that I have shot with my 12 gauge with #6 are totally fine to eat usually only a couple of pellets accually hit them and those are easy to pick out if I end up with one that I shot real close or a pellet hits him in the gut I'll leave him in the woods coyotes gotta eat too, havent lost a night of sleep yet. Good luck in the woods

Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #94

I read most of the replys and this is the first to mention a .17=good choice with a good scope,if they run just wait for them to stop and they will still be in range.The .17 will work with rabbits too like I said wait for them to stop and shoot em in the eye!
Yeah I want to see Ploofy eat a coyote=nasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggy5 View Post
Ploofy, have you ever hunted raccoon's, coyote's, or crow. I have shot all of them, never once taken a bite out of them. Does that make me a douchebag?

To the question of hunting squirrel with a shotgun or .22; my vote is a .17. A caliber that is accurate enough to pick them off at over a hundred yards, but if you hit them in the head won't damage any of the meat. A .22 does the same thing, just less accurate a farther distances. With the limited amount of meat on a squirrel, you would think you would want to keep as much of it in tact as you can.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #95

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsobad View Post
I read most of the replys and this is the first to mention a .17=good choice with a good scope,if they run just wait for them to stop and they will still be in range.The .17 will work with rabbits too like I said wait for them to stop and shoot em in the eye!
Yeah I want to see Ploofy eat a coyote=nasty!
Barbecue Sauce. It was bothering some horses on a family members farm in upstate New York. I eat what I kill or I don't kill it.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 03-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Barbecue Sauce. I eat what I kill or I don't kill it.
Does this also apply to a self-defense shooting?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #97

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The main problem here were I hunt the squirrels are pressured and most of my shots are at the tree rats running. The cover does make them hard to see at long range to use a 22. I do carry a 22 and shotgun but I end up using the shotgun 99% of the time.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 03-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #98

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Barbecue Sauce. It was bothering some horses on a family members farm in upstate New York. I eat what I kill or I don't kill it.
Ploofy, is your last name Chang? I suppose if you covered the meat with enough ketchup or BBQ sauce it would taste somewhat normal, but around here, as I'm sure is true about most places, coyotes live off of small rodents and dead, decaying animals. The thought of that going into my stomach might override the BBQ sauce.

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 AM   #99

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggy5 View Post
Ploofy, is your last name Chang? I suppose if you covered the meat with enough ketchup or BBQ sauce it would taste somewhat normal, but around here, as I'm sure is true about most places, coyotes live off of small rodents and dead, decaying animals. The thought of that going into my stomach might override the BBQ sauce.
To be fair, most of it got used for Pike bait. But leaving rotting animals around is never a good thing. Earlier I saw somebody mentioning crow, which I don't know why you're killing (from personal experience I don't know why, not trying to call you out) because they seem to kill pests, but I don't think I would ever eat one of those. However, I wouldn't kill it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Does this also apply to a self-defense shooting?
Maybe a nibble or two if and when I find self defense necessary. Especially if there is more than one. I'd run like hell if I thought I was trying to mug a zombie and/or cannibalistic serial killer.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #100
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Maybe a nibble or two if and when I find self defense necessary. Especially if there is more than one. I'd run like hell if I thought I was trying to mug a zombie and/or cannibalistic serial killer.
LOL! I like how you think.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.