What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun

People tell me I should use a .22 rifle for squirrel hunting. I did that as a youth. The only way you're going to bag a squirrel with that firearm is if it is sitting still. Many times squirrels are fast moving and you only see a glimpse of them. This is especially true before the leaves drop. If you want to get your limit, or at least several for the table, what's wrong with a shotgun with No. 6 or No. 7 shot?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2010, 02:39 AM   #2

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

i don't know about you but back in my youth i had no trouble bagging all the squirrels i could find just using my pellet gun. would there be anything left if you blasted one with a shotgun?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 09-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I don't really think there is any challenge in that. Thats more of a massacre then hunting, but if you're hunting for food instead of sport (and food, I always eat what I kill. People who don't are usually douchebags in my experience, not trying to offend anybody) go for it.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9155 Times on 3953 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

Have used a shotgun- go for headshots to avoid biting shot in the meat. Usually use a .22 and a pair of poker chips. Funny how they sound like a squirrel chittering when you hold them together and rub back and forth- Mr Bushytail stops, pokes his head up to see who is new squirrel. Say goodnight, Gracie.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37 View Post
I have been shooting tree rats with a 410 and 3" #5s or "6s for many years. It doesn't matter what gauge you shoot, a #5 from a 12 or 410 has the same energy. The fewer pellets in a 410 means less pellets in the meat and the larger pellets means fewer pellets in the shell. 20-25 yards works good for me.

We spot and stalk. When we find one, one of us will circle around the tree and when it moves to the other side to get away from the hunter on the danger side the other hunter shoots it because it is not paying any attention to you.....
Been doing it that way for years. Tasty critters when braised in a spicy brown gravy over rice.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #6

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Used to use a .22 pistol, but now that I'm getting old and decrepit I use a .22rifle. Don't like a shotgun because you have to pick out the shot.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #7

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I use one early in the year while the leaves are still all over the trees but once they start falling then I use the 22.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I dont think there is anything wrong with using a shotgun for squirrels.

To reply to: dog2000tj

Of course there will be something left if you shoot it with a shotgun. A squirrel is pretty comparable size to a dove. Shooting doves with a shotgun is common practice.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would us a 22 just to keep the meat from being full of shot. Also, the shooting challenge is fun for me.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #10

Default Surprising response on squirrel hunting with shotgun

The Forum's members contribute great opinions. My question about the appropriateness of squirrel hunting with a shotgun quickly solicited many comments. From the information I've received, I think I will use both a .22 rifle and a shotgun depending upon hunting conditions and methods. When trees have many leaves early in the season, and I'm using the spot and stalk technique - or still hunting - walking slowly, then standing still for several minutes, I will use the shotgun. The squirrels are more likely to be scampering toward their holes and you only catch glimpses of them as they move. Hitting a fast moving squirrel in the leaves is too difficult for me with a .22. When I sit and wait for them to come out, however, using a squirrel call (either factory made, two poker chips or two quarters), I'll use a .22. I think they are more likely to come out and sit long enough for me to get a bead on one with a .22. Now, my next question for squirrel hunters is this: Would you use a scope, and if so, when, where and why? How many of you would prefer open sites?