What is in your hunting pack? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What is in your hunting pack?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
The only thing in mine that you don't have on your list is rope.
550 cord lights smaller and does the same thing.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #12

Never booze. That's foolish. Shoot somebody or yourself.

I've mainly hunted Africa the past few years. Carry a compass, ten spare rounds of .375 softs and three solids, spare box of softs in the day pack, hard candy for the boys, field first aid kit. folding knife and a Swiss knife. Of course, binos and a pocket camera. Sunscreen if necessary. Insect repellent, although nothing works against tsetses.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:59 AM   #13

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerman View Post
Never booze. That's foolish. Shoot somebody or yourself.
Uh, yeah, that was an inside joke.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #14

Default Backpack stuff..

I carry different things for different seasons..Warm weather is basically all the stuff Tango said..I may add bug spray, meds for stings, bandanna, extra water(and Gatorade), torch style lighter, 550 cord ( at least 50ft or more ), extra knife, pistol and extra ammo ( and shot shells for 40cal pistol ), machete and a folding saw made by Gerber..maybe a small axe..

Fall / Winter...Hot hands and foot warmers, tinder for fire starting, extra 50ft of 550 cord...just in case you need to make a shelter and use the other 50+ft for other stuff, compass, LED light/compass/thermometer/magnifing glass combo tool I found at GanderMountain, Surefire light, LED headlamp( you know you are going have batteties run out on one or lose one, always have a back up. Small bungee cords and maybe a few 10in ones as well...

I have a sling style backpack I use some and I have several day packs I use. I sometimes have each one packed for the season, so I just grab the one for summer or winter and I know I have everything I need. I know I over pack but I always have all I need. I have been hunting many times and buddies I hunt with never have the things they need. They have said to me " I wish I had brought a ziploc bag or some zip ties.." Well, my friend you are in luck I have a few of them. Between my Jeep, 4 wheeler and backpack I bet I have what you need..I have hunted with guys that only carried 4 rounds of ammo in their rifle. I asked them why and they told me " I only need one shot "..Well that buddy shot 2 deer one day and missed 2 of the 4 shots. So he was out of ammo and if he needed another round to fight off some critter he was out of luck. I carry at least 10 rounds for my rifle and 3 clips for my glock 40cal...So I will not run out of ammo anytime soon...

I hope this helps out....I hunt 5-6 months out of the year so I stay prepared...

Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8871 Times on 3843 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

Folded small sheet of heavy slick poly plastic. Can use as emergency rain sheet, but mainly used to help deer slide over stuff when dragging. 20 ft of light rope to aid the drag. GI pressure dressing (if you have ability to wound, have ability to remedy) Couple of nylon cable ties- attach tag to deer. digital camera, weighs about 6 ounces. I still hunt, and carry a section of camo patten cheesecloth, 15" x 3". Added to the rope, run between two branches, simple ground blind that shields lower body movement from view. Something to sit on to keep the cold/wet away from yer aging butt. NO WHITE HANKIES. Orange on my body. A whistle on my keychain. When the day comes that you step in a stumphole, break a leg, you can blow whistle a lot longer than you can yell for help- and it will be heard further. Cell phone (on massage) if there is coverage in that area. An apple of two. While I would NEVER violate my state laws about hunting over bait, us old farts need to peel apples before we eat. Of course, apple peelings are organic, and can be left in the woods to breakdown. Smell good too, don't they?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 11-29-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

It is Illegal to hunt deer or any large game over bait in VA I think. I know you can't put out any food supplements (Licks or camerdeer powder). So I always make sure I take 4 or 5 apples to snack on while hunting yes I peal them too Apple peals don't agree with my tummy. I had a padded seat but I don't know what happened to it.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #17

I carry some apples at times as well...If I drop one and step on it it makes a good cover scent as well. I used to know a guy who would carry a few apples and would eat a bite or two out of one and then throw it against a tree. He said it made a scent cloud that would linger through the woods. He always killed deer and big ones so I guess it worked.

I forgot about the plastic sheet, I too carry one sometimes. Of course most of us now have a cellphone and I have it on me most of the time. I do have 2-way radios I use too. Camo netting with some old arrows to use as stakes to hold it up. I guess you could pack just about anything, just over the years of hunting I have found what worked for me and my style of hunting. I am always open to new ideas and want to try new things...

Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Uh, yeah, that was an inside joke.
Whatever. Bein a stranger here, I got a bad vibe off that joke, as i suppose anyone else would who is new here and has done a bit of shooting...

Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Just the basics...

A small flask of water, camo netting, spare Mora knife & sharpening stone, a
blaze orange hat, (to wear or mark the site of kill), bi-pod for rifle, surgical-
gloves, spare batteries for "frs-radio" & head-band led flashlight, hbledfl,
minimal survival rations (suitable for myself & my dog), zip-loc bags, matches
& a compact space blanket. (Depending on the game I am hunting, I carry a
pair of deer antlers for rattling or an "elk tube" for bugeling)! Everything else
fits into the many pockets of my US military surplus fatigues!

Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default hunting pac

youve got it covered ...i also take electrical tape,tie wraps, multi-tool and extra batteries ....have bought some aaa that were dead still in pkg