What Was Your First Deer Rifle - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What Was Your First Deer Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #71

Mine was an old worthless shot out Winchester M94 in .30-30 with iron sights. You were lucky to hit a barn door with it. My Dad gave it to me but he really didn't know much about rifles or how to clean one and/or how to really even take good care of one. I missed one of the biggest deer I had ever seen with that old POS. My second deer rifle was a Remington M788 in .243 with a Weaver 4X on it. I wish that had been my first one. With that .243, I shot my first deer, a big doe (I had a Michigan doe permit) w/ one shot at about 100 yds. or so w/ a Winchester 100 grain factory load, placed right behind the shoulder. That deer dropped like a ton of bricks and never even flinched.
ct

Old 06-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #72
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2092 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Mine was an old worthless shot out Winchester M94 in .30-30 with iron sights. You were lucky to hit a barn door with it. My Dad gave it to me but he really didn't know much about rifles or how to clean one and/or how to really even take good care of one. I missed one of the biggest deer I had ever seen with that old POS. My second deer rifle was a Remington M788 in .243 with a Weaver 4X on it. I wish that had been my first one. With that .243, I shot my first deer, a big doe (I had a Michigan doe permit) w/ one shot at about 100 yds. or so w/ a Winchester 100 grain factory load, placed right behind the shoulder. That deer dropped like a ton of bricks and never even flinched.
ct
That explains why you are so fond of the 243!!!!
Childhood emotion lasts forever.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #73

Default .243, nuff said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
That explains why you are so fond of the 243!!!!
Childhood emotion lasts forever.

Yeah, and it also explains the .243's ease of shot placement and its overall effectiveness. It also explains my general hatred of the .30-30 and lever actions in general; however, I will make an exception, that being the Savage M99 in .250-3000. , see, I can use emotocons too, but after a while, they get very annoying, though I suppose that some posters want to be annoying.
ct

Old 06-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Yeah, and it also explains the .243's ease of shot placement and its overall effectiveness. It also explains my general hatred of the .30-30 and lever actions in general; however, I will make an exception, that being the Savage M99 in .250-3000. , see, I can use emotocons too, but after a while, they get very annoying, though I suppose that some posters want to be annoying.
ct
They are not annoying to me, but other than progressives, few things annoy me!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #75

Default How about this?

Quote:
They are not annoying to me, but other than progressives, few things annoy me!

I am a Liberal and a Progressive. Change can be (and usually is) a good thing. I am also a member (retired division) of the Dreaded Teachers Union!
ct

Last edited by cottontop; 06-16-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: addition

Old 06-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #76

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
That's one nice Man cave there limbkiller,nice!

Quote:
I shot my first deer with a borrowed Savage 99 in 300 Savage.
The first deer rifle I owned was an 03A3 sporterized my dad gave me when I turned 16.
I really like those Savage 99s,i've heard the 03A3 was a very nice shooter.

Quote:
ct
I really like the 243 and rem 6mm as a dual deer/varmint cartridge,I have a rem 6mm and have been very happy with it the performance. Nothing worse than a gear malfunction happens when that big one comes by,i've been there before.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I am a Liberal and a Progressive. Change can be (and usually is) a good thing. I am also a member (retired division) of the Dreaded Teachers Union!
ct
Thank you for your honesty. I am sorry you do not believe in the traditional values this Republic is based on. I am a traditionalist, your opposite. I too believe in change, WHEN IT IS FOR THE BETTER, but the change I have witnessed in the last 50 years, for the most part, has NOT been for the better!!!

People Like This 
Old 06-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #78

Quote:
Thank you for your honesty. I am sorry you do not believe in the traditional values this Republic is based on. I am a traditionalist, your opposite. I too believe in change, WHEN IT IS FOR THE BETTER, but the change I have witnessed in the last 50 years, for the most part, has NOT been for the better!!!

That is only your opinion. So called traditional values are not necessarily good values. "...for the most part..." then you do believe that some change is good change. When people change their underwear, that is good change. When I have extra change in my pocket, that is good change. When electricity replaced kerosene, that was good change. When plumbing was brought indoors, that was good change. When tuning into most news networks from fox news, that is good change. When most republicans leave office, that is good change; with one notable exception (and there may be others), when Teddy Roosevelt (a republican and noted progressive) came to office and shut down the big monopolies and started the anti-trust laws and thus allowed unions to help the working class. Yeah, most change has been for the better.
ct

Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
That is only your opinion. So called traditional values are not necessarily good values. "...for the most part..." then you do believe that some change is good change. When people change their underwear, that is good change. When I have extra change in my pocket, that is good change. When electricity replaced kerosene, that was good change. When plumbing was brought indoors, that was good change. When tuning into most news networks from fox news, that is good change. When most republicans leave office, that is good change; with one notable exception (and there may be others), when Teddy Roosevelt (a republican and noted progressive) came to office and shut down the big monopolies and started the anti-trust laws and thus allowed unions to help the working class. Yeah, most change has been for the better.
ct
Again the answer I would expect from a true progressive. If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance you must baffle them with your BS.
The changes I refer to are DIRECTLY related to our government at all levels, not the natural evolution of technology, but you knew that and are trying to cloud the issue with BS. A typical progress tactic.

I, and many others, have observed that the most ruthless, dishonest people on the face of the earth are the secular progressives. To them the end justifies the means. They are totally devoid of an morals, ethics, and lack any personal integrity. Case in point, our current administration.

People Like This 
Old 06-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #80

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I thought this thread was about the first rifle we shot a deer or attempted to shoot a deer with.

Progressive or degressive?

Liberal or conservative?

Very confused.