What Was Your First Deer Rifle - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What Was Your First Deer Rifle

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PappaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 63
Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Dad had a process each kid had to follow in order to join Deer Camp. In Minnesota then you had to be 12 to deer hunt alone. His process was at age 11 you had to go out with him. You got to carry a single shot .410 but no ammo. If you handled that ok at 12 you could go on your own but you only got one slug for the .410. At 13 when you were considered a member of the hunting group, Dad would buy you your first rifle but it had to be either 8mm or .30-30. Dad had a rule, "NO LEVER GUNS FOR KIDS" so your .30-30 choice was a Savage-Stevens bolt. Nothing makes me want something more than telling me I can't have it. Lucky for me the year I turned 13 was the first year the Marlin 336 with the cross bolt safety hit the shelves. It took a bit of talking to get Dad to approve the Marlin but when he bought it, I was the envy of all the "under 18" group at dear camp. Little did I know that I would loose Dad to Cancer 3 years later at 16 and inherit the most coveted rifle at Deer Camp, even amongst the adults, Dad's Remington 760 30.06. I still have both rifles but don't hunt anymore because I live it town and the City Council wouldn't like if I sat on the front porch with Dads Rifle.

__________________

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

PappaJim is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St Peters,Missouri
Posts: 41
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

It was an old 32 Winchester special. Shot a 4 pointer with 3 legs. The right front was gone at the knee, healed over and had the hair rubbed off when he rested on it. The antlers had 3 points on the right and a deformed spike on the left. This was in 1962 when I was 12.

__________________
gschnarr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #43
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,647
Liked 5734 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
JonM That's one sweet rifle! When I was looking for my first deer rifle(1975) the clerk at Western Auto was trying to sell me a Winchester 458 Win Mag.
you shoulda got it!! when you handload you can easily download them to 45-70 levels but leaves lots of room for big thumpers if you come across a t-rex or three...

the shop i ordered it from, the owner was SURE i was going to bring it back after shooting it. i was pretty skinny back then. fell in love with the big bores reading about african hunters. i wish someone would make a lever gun in 458 winmag. there was a gentleman that was converting m1 garands in 458winmag but he passed on before i found out about him

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Jon M, how big are the deer out there by you?
i dont like chasing deer.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...


Last edited by JonM; 06-07-2013 at 10:03 PM.
JonM is offline  
nchunt101 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: rochester,ny
Posts: 55
Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

Default

My first deer "rifle" and the one I use today And always will is a remmy 7600 in .30-06. One of the best if not the best deer rifle here in the northeast . I hunt the great adirondack park with it

__________________
leam23 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MOshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 1,474
Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
Yeah the 7mm Rem Mag was a big step up, I should not have taken that big a step up at that age but I did and I hunted with the 7mm RM for 11 years before moving east and I had no need for anything like that, sold the 7mm and got a 6.5x55 and have never looked back.
I'm still a 7mm rem mag,but that 6.5x55 has always interested me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaJim View Post
Dad had a process each kid had to follow in order to join Deer Camp. In Minnesota then you had to be 12 to deer hunt alone. His process was at age 11 you had to go out with him. You got to carry a single shot .410 but no ammo. If you handled that ok at 12 you could go on your own but you only got one slug for the .410. At 13 when you were considered a member of the hunting group, Dad would buy you your first rifle but it had to be either 8mm or .30-30. Dad had a rule, "NO LEVER GUNS FOR KIDS" so your .30-30 choice was a Savage-Stevens bolt. Nothing makes me want something more than telling me I can't have it. Lucky for me the year I turned 13 was the first year the Marlin 336 with the cross bolt safety hit the shelves. It took a bit of talking to get Dad to approve the Marlin but when he bought it, I was the envy of all the "under 18" group at dear camp. Little did I know that I would loose Dad to Cancer 3 years later at 16 and inherit the most coveted rifle at Deer Camp, even amongst the adults, Dad's Remington 760 30.06. I still have both rifles but don't hunt anymore because I live it town and the City Council wouldn't like if I sat on the front porch with Dads Rifle.
Sounds like your Dad did a great job teaching gun handling and deer hunting skills,also nice rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschnarr View Post
It was an old 32 Winchester special. Shot a 4 pointer with 3 legs. The right front was gone at the knee, healed over and had the hair rubbed off when he rested on it. The antlers had 3 points on the right and a deformed spike on the left. This was in 1962 when I was 12.
That's quite a deer hunting story gschnarr,did you all name the deer tripod? jkg lol...Those old Winchester lever actions are some nice rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
you shoulda got it!! when you handload you can easily download them to 45-70 levels but leaves lots of room for big thumpers if you come across a t-rex or three...

the shop i ordered it from, the owner was SURE i was going to bring it back after shooting it. i was pretty skinny back then. fell in love with the big bores reading about african hunters. i wish someone would make a lever gun in 458 winmag. there was a gentleman that was converting m1 garands in 458winmag but he passed on before i found out about him



i dont like chasing deer.
JonM if I only knew what I know now that 458 Win. mag would be sitting in the safe.



Quote:
Originally Posted by leam23 View Post
My first deer "rifle" and the one I use today And always will is a remmy 7600 in .30-06. One of the best if not the best deer rifle here in the northeast . I hunt the great adirondack park with it
Those Rem 7600s are some excellent woods guns,very nice choice!
__________________
MOshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
303tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,676
Liked 1222 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

Default

Savage built .303 Enfield & I still have it !.................

__________________

When all else fails.

303tom is offline  
MOshooter Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MOshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 1,474
Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Savage built .303 Enfield & I still have it !.................

303tom for some reason I was guessing the .303 That's great you still have your first deer rifle.
__________________
MOshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,040
Liked 468 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Default

My first was a sporterized 94 Swedish Mauser, my father used to buy surplus rifles and restock them, sometimes rebarrel and sell them back and forth when I was a kid, H

__________________
yazul42 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,040
Liked 468 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Default

Hit the wrong key,,,, yes it was a 6.5x55, original barrel and a Bishop full mannilicher stock,, wish he would not have sold it, but he got a good price, now I use my custom Czech 98 Mauser in 7mm Rem mag for just about anything that I need a rifle.

__________________
yazul42 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
apwvsd40ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 552
Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

The first firearm that I ever used to deer hunt was a single shot 12 ga. with slugs. I can still remember my first hunt. I was probably 10 or 11. I saw deer that day but did not shoot. If I recall correctly, they were a bit out of range. I still have this 12 ga. The next year, I was given my first true deer rifle....A Marlin .35 Remington. I loved (and still do) the lever action concept. However, at that age I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. (I would love to have it back to shoot it now!) My Dad made me hunt with it for a couple years...missing deer after deer. A couple of years later....he surprised me with a Ruger M77 Mark II in a .270 caliber. I was extremely successful with this firearm....I think it was more of a confidence thing over the Marlin. A few years ago, I was in a place where I had no time to hunt due to work....sold it to a buddy. Now that I am back into it....I prefer a 30.06. and yes...wish that I had all three in the safe...rather than just the 30.06!

__________________

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

apwvsd40ve is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
New deer rifle help swann Hunting Forum 69 11-25-2013 11:17 PM
deer rifle shooter88 General Rifle Discussion 35 10-07-2012 05:46 PM
Deer rifle under $500 Prorebel General Rifle Discussion 17 09-05-2012 07:27 PM
Deer rifle ShagNasty1001 General Rifle Discussion 32 11-23-2011 07:41 AM