What Was Your First Deer Rifle - Page 14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What Was Your First Deer Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeisme View Post
I first started with a 6.5x52 carcono the carbine with iron sights. I will never forget my dad took me to the local gun shop we picked it out of a literal 35 gallon drum and carried it up to pay for it. The only thing the clerk was worried about was that it had a strong bore. He never flinched when I threw my 25 dollars on the counter and walked out the door with the rifle. That season in fact two weeks later using that little rifle I dropped my first buck. My dad took a buck w his 6.5 later that week. I still have them both in the safe. Those are two that will never go anywhere !!
Luke great story thanks for sharing,glad to hear you still have both rifles. Rifles full of memories should never leave the family.

Thanks again

Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #132
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
That would be great Anna,I would enjoy seeing the 06'.

I saw your Sako 25-06 that's a beauty!! You did an excellent job on the stock,really a beautiful firearm!
Thank you so much for the comment MO/ I really do appreciate it. Makes me want to next try and refinish to protect his 30.06 he gave me.

Sorry for the bad pics:

Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Thank you so much for the comment MO/ I really do appreciate it. Makes me want to next try and refinish to protect his 30.06 he gave me.

Sorry for the bad pics:

Wow Anna that's a beauty!!
It looks great just as it is,but i'm sure you know a excellent stock refinisher that could make that rifle look better than new hehe

Thanks for posting and sharing your beautiful 06'
Old 07-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #134

Liked 333 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 6

a couple pages back I posted about the Remington 7600 I used in my first deer hunt & how I thought it was gone forever, well it found it's way back home.

My dad & grandpa went together & bought it for me to use back in the mid 90's & because of that, I always thought of it as theirs & left it at my grandpa's house when the season ended. Dad passed on 13 years ago & grandpa last fall. My 2 aunts are grandpa's only surviving kids now & they don't see eye to eye on.....anything really. So the house & everything in it has sat in limbo since November, without me having a voice on anything & not knowing if any of his guns were still there. Well the one aunt called a week ago & said they're starting to clean out the house & there's some guns, then asked do I want any? Imagine my surprise when I looked in the gun closet & there sat the 7600, exactly where I had put it nearly 10 years ago when I last shot it.

I took it home, cleaned & lubed, stuck on a recoil pad, & better scope than what was on it. Should be ready to go for the next deer season. For some reason, life feels complete now

rem-7600.jpg  

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Last edited by donthav1; 07-28-2013 at 02:38 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #135

Tikka made Ithica 25-06 with a redfield 3-9 scope from the early 70's. It was fabulous.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #136

Liked 101 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 146

The first gun I got for deer hunting wasn't a rifle,at the time Indiana didn't allow rifles ,it was a .357 revolver.I just bought my first deer rifle a year ago,it's a T/C G2 Contender in 44 magnum.

NRA Member,NAHC life member,Indiana Rifle/Pistol Assoc. member

Old 08-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
a couple pages back I posted about the Remington 7600 I used in my first deer hunt & how I thought it was gone forever, well it found it's way back home.

My dad & grandpa went together & bought it for me to use back in the mid 90's & because of that, I always thought of it as theirs & left it at my grandpa's house when the season ended. Dad passed on 13 years ago & grandpa last fall. My 2 aunts are grandpa's only surviving kids now & they don't see eye to eye on.....anything really. So the house & everything in it has sat in limbo since November, without me having a voice on anything & not knowing if any of his guns were still there. Well the one aunt called a week ago & said they're starting to clean out the house & there's some guns, then asked do I want any? Imagine my surprise when I looked in the gun closet & there sat the 7600, exactly where I had put it nearly 10 years ago when I last shot it.

I took it home, cleaned & lubed, stuck on a recoil pad, & better scope than what was on it. Should be ready to go for the next deer season. For some reason, life feels complete now
Don what a great story so glad you were able to get that first deer rifle back,looks like a sweet whitetail rifle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10incher View Post
Tikka made Ithica 25-06 with a redfield 3-9 scope from the early 70's. It was fabulous.
Sounds like a very sweet rifle,i've always been tempted to add the 25-06 to the hunting collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelhunter View Post
The first gun I got for deer hunting wasn't a rifle,at the time Indiana didn't allow rifles ,it was a .357 revolver.I just bought my first deer rifle a year ago,it's a T/C G2 Contender in 44 magnum.
I've heard IN. didn't allow rifle cartridges for deer hunting? I'm sure you all have some very good handgunners in your state ....I've always been interested in the Contenders and always wanted one,that 44 mag will do a great job whitetail huntin'

Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #138

Liked 101 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post

I've heard IN. didn't allow rifle cartridges for deer hunting? I'm sure you all have some very good handgunners in your state ....I've always been interested in the Contenders and always wanted one,that 44 mag will do a great job whitetail huntin'
Actually you CAN use rifle cartridges of .243 and larger but it has to be in a HANDGUN not a rifle,between the New Model Super Blackhawk I had and the 44 mag rifle,I hunted with a G2 Contender pistol in 35 Remington ,which I still have in case the mood hits me .

NRA Member,NAHC life member,Indiana Rifle/Pistol Assoc. member

Old 08-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #139

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 158

I started with a sporterized Remington surplus 1903/A3 , purchased for $29.95 from the back page of Shotgun News in 1961. Dad and I each picked up a rifle, ordered rough stocks from Herters and worked on them all winter. I installed a .270 barrel on mine, Dad's stayed an '06. We blued them in his tool repair shop, and ended up with some great memories and a couple decent shooters.

3d Infantry Division
"Dogface Soldier"
Beretta 70 Collection
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Old 08-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #140
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1866 Times on 1093 Posts
Likes Given: 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbertram View Post
I started with a sporterized Remington surplus 1903/A3 , purchased for $29.95 from the back page of Shotgun News in 1961. Dad and I each picked up a rifle, ordered rough stocks from Herters and worked on them all winter. I installed a .270 barrel on mine, Dad's stayed an '06. We blued them in his tool repair shop, and ended up with some great memories and a couple decent shooters.
When I was 16 my dad gave me a Sporterized 03-A3!
I used it until I went to RVN (1968), it was stolen while I was busy over there.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

bbertram Likes This