What would u have done? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What would u have done?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1752 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9580

Vick, you made the right choice. Not only would I have done the same, but I have done it before. No animal should suffer.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #12

Liked 280 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Vick you did right. Its nice to have a buck ,even a small one for one of the first deer but takeing out a cripple was the right thing to do. I don't hunt for bucks only and let the smaller ones walk anyhow. Might grow into a worthy buck. . Doe's eat better anyhow and for some time only take a buck if its quality.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 1 Posts

First I would like to thank everyone for the welcomes of being a new member to this group. Without a doubt I know I did the right thing, and was just interested in what someone else would do. When I first began hunting deer I made a promise to myself not to shoot any yearlings, does with yearlings n the early part of the season, and if I see one that is suffering to take that one first. That is just something that I live by. Some will take whatever they see no matter size,age,etc... I'm glad to see that there are people that share the same beliefs that I do. Again, thank you for the welcomes.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7785 Times on 4673 Posts
Likes Given: 9761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick View Post
My first hunt about 5 years ago I had a 6 point walk out into my shooting lane, I also noticed another deer following him out of the thicket. It was a young button buck that someone else had shoot at and ended up crippling. I am a firm believer in good sportsmanship so I did what I thought was right. That 6 point walked away that day and I got to shoot my first deer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Welcome to FTF! Stick around awhile and get to know us.

Absolutely did the right thing. You can't eat the antlers anyhow so who cares how big they are? Besides, the younger ones are more tender.
Vick, I admire you for being an ethical hunter. I agree with Vikingdad that you might have gotten the tastier deer. Thank you for your compassion towards the animals.