Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   What would u have done? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/what-would-u-have-done-78491/)

Vick 12-15-2012 02:22 AM

What would u have done?

My first hunt about 5 years ago I had a 6 point walk out into my shooting lane, I also noticed another deer following him out of the thicket. It was a young button buck that someone else had shoot at and ended up crippling. I am a firm believer in good sportsmanship so I did what I thought was right. That 6 point walked away that day and I got to shoot my first deer.

mountainman13 12-15-2012 02:26 AM

A quick death was the best gift you could give. Congrats. Welcome to FTF.

racer_x 12-15-2012 02:34 AM

Nice a 6 point works. Ive got a doe here that i shot 3 years ago she keeps her leg up just as a reminder lol it happens even with the best hunters She has birthed 4 that I know of 1 of witch is in my frezer

Vick 12-15-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
A quick death was the best gift you could give. Congrats. Welcome to FTF.

Thanks for the welcome. I was just scrolling threw and this site sparked my interest.

mountainman13 12-15-2012 02:54 AM

It's a good site. Lots of knowledgeable and friendly folks and your occasional goons too. Lol

texaswoodworker 12-15-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vick (Post 1052074)
My first hunt about 5 years ago I had a 6 point walk out into my shooting lane, I also noticed another deer following him out of the thicket. It was a young button buck that someone else had shoot at and ended up crippling. I am a firm believer in good sportsmanship so I did what I thought was right. That 6 point walked away that day and I got to shoot my first deer.

Welcome to FTF. Stick around awhile, there are a lot of great people here, and they have a lot of knowledge they can share.
You did the right thing choosing the injured buck over the 6 point. You probably saved it from a long, unpleasant death.

Vikingdad 12-15-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vick (Post 1052074)

Welcome to FTF! Stick around awhile and get to know us.

Absolutely did the right thing. You can't eat the antlers anyhow so who cares how big they are?;) Besides, the younger ones are more tender.

tri70 12-15-2012 01:06 PM

Good call! I have let young legal bucks walk a time or two but I hate to see one waste.

MOshooter 12-15-2012 04:16 PM

Vick I would've have done the same thing,I just can't stand to see an animal suffer...
Good ethical hunting choice!

303tom 12-16-2012 12:32 AM

Great ethical hunting choice, way to go..............