Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   What would be a good barrel length and 12g load for quail/dove/duck? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/what-would-good-barrel-length-12g-load-quail-dove-duck-94585/)

GlockRenegade 07-28-2013 11:05 PM

What would be a good barrel length and 12g load for quail/dove/duck?

First time hunter here and want to get some opinions. I live in south texas if that makes a difference

Anna_Purna 07-28-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockRenegade (Post 1318459)
First time hunter here and want to get some opinions. I live in south texas if that makes a difference

28 inch is the norm I believe

You can shoot them with a HD shotgun barrel, but the longer tubes tend to keep the patter tighter for the farther shots.

c3shooter 07-28-2013 11:33 PM

There ARE some longer barreled duck and goose guns, but I like the 28 inch for upland birds and dove. Quail, dove and duck will require different loads. Quail and dove may both use 7 1/2s, but I like #6 for quail. Ducks will require the use of NON-LEAD shot- as do any waterfowl.

Gatoragn 07-28-2013 11:52 PM

With the advent of screw in chokes, I prefer 26 inch barrels, either improved cylinder or modified choke for dove, quail and pheasant. Early season, I.C., late season modified.

For dove & quail, I grew up shooting #9 shot, but it is hard to find these days, so I would go with #8.

However, finding a truly wild covey of quail is as elusive as the end of a rainbow these days.

If I was a serious duck hunter, I would get a dedicated steel shot choke, along the same lines of dedicated turkey shot chokes. Otherwise, likely would use a modified for duck.

Fred_G 07-29-2013 12:11 AM

18.5" loaded with 00 Buckshot. Should stop any invading avians. Wait, you talking about hunting? Pretty much anything you have, but I agree with the above, 26" or 28" should do you right. :D

JimRau 07-29-2013 12:16 AM

The bbl length of a shotgun past the legal limit (18 inch) makes no ballistic difference, unless you go past 36 inches, then it begins to loss velocity. The bbl length is a primary consideration when it comes to how it 'handles' or 'swings'. So it is what works best for you.:)
26 and 28 are the most common.

DWT 08-01-2013 01:50 AM

JimRau is right. A 28 in. barrel will shoot 2 inches more than a 26 in. barrel, using the same load.

armsmaster270 08-01-2013 02:05 AM

The Browning BPS youth model 20ga comes with a 22 inch barrel. Handles like a dream.

cottontop 08-01-2013 02:15 AM

Barrel Length Myths

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1318461)
28 inch is the norm I believe

You can shoot them with a HD shotgun barrel, but the longer tubes tend to keep the patter tighter for the farther shots.

Barrel length has nothing to do with the tightness of a pattern. Pattern is determined by choke.
ct

Intheshop 08-01-2013 10:52 AM

An O/U or SxS with 28" tubes is going to be about the same overall length as a pump or semi with 26" brrl.

Shotgun "fit" ranks up there in importance as anything in firearms world.See if there's a sporting clays/trap/skeet range in your area.Look for one with a "pro-shop".....see if they'll help you.But do a bit of reading on fit first(google)so you'll have an idea of what terms will be discussed.

Go to a gunstore with a good used rack of shotguns.Take a tape measure if you have to.Try different models to see what you like.Then look at their new guns to possibly fill in some blanks,and add to the general "overview".But this is really only going to go so far.......shotguns need to be swung and shot.