what is the reason african safaris charge you for what you kill? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > what is the reason african safaris charge you for what you kill?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3274 Times on 1693 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I traveled to South Africa in 2001. The Kruger National Park (20,000 sq km) is home to nearly every animal imaginable on the continent. They keep very close control of the animals. If they have too many of a particular animal for the park to support, they capture and auction off a few. These surplus animals are sold to the game preserves or zoos (whoever bids the most). The preserves move the animals and release them on their property. If a hunter wants to kill that animal, the owner of the preserve must recoup his investment.
When I was there, a Cape Lion would bring $100,000 US at the auction. You could figure a reasonable mark up on that.

The game preserves are often criticized as being "canned hunts" as the animals are fenced in. Well, yeah. They are fenced into a perimeter that might be 25,000 acres or more.
Using that logic, the wild ones are fenced in by the Atlantic, Indian and Mediterranean. The poor things cannot escape!!!!

The animals are one of the largest natural resources the country has. It is a renewable resource. They manage the resourse and protect their renewability and sustainability. If you hit and kill one with a car, you owe the country the fair market value of the animal. An Impala might cost you $100. An Elephant will bankrupt you. They WILL sieze your passport until you pay up.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:54 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1299 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 623

My local gun shop owner went to S.Africa earlier this year and the package he had set up was around 5K,and Stewart got to shoot 7-8 animals with that package.If he wanted to shoot other animals then there was an additional trophy fee. He said it was the best time he has ever had hunting.

He is trying to get a deal set up with the outfitter that would be around 4K per hunter,but when you add in airfare,the hunt,shipping back hides&mounts your still looking at around 10K over 6-8 months time. Out of my range!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I traveled to South Africa in 2001. The Kruger National Park (20,000 sq km) is home to nearly every animal imaginable on the continent. They keep very close control of the animals. If they have too many of a particular animal for the park to support, they capture and auction off a few. These surplus animals are sold to the game preserves or zoos (whoever bids the most). The preserves move the animals and release them on their property. If a hunter wants to kill that animal, the owner of the preserve must recoup his investment.
When I was there, a Cape Lion would bring $100,000 US at the auction. You could figure a reasonable mark up on that.

The game preserves are often criticized as being "canned hunts" as the animals are fenced in. Well, yeah. They are fenced into a perimeter that might be 25,000 acres or more.
Using that logic, the wild ones are fenced in by the Atlantic, Indian and Mediterranean. The poor things cannot escape!!!!

The animals are one of the largest natural resources the country has. It is a renewable resource. They manage the resourse and protect their renewability and sustainability. If you hit and kill one with a car, you owe the country the fair market value of the animal. An Impala might cost you $100. An Elephant will bankrupt you. They WILL sieze your passport until you pay up.
very nicely put,i have been a big fan of african safaris since i was a kid.it is common for many people to think these are some sort of canned hunt,which is not the case at all,in fact most canned hunts are for trophy class white tails here in the states.the average (dangerous game)safari today is at least 10 days,with most being 20 or 25 days.many hunts especially lion and leopard the hunter goes home without the main target for the safari.(safaris always have some plains game mixed in)i used to have quite an assortment of awesome safari videos on you tube,till they took many down due to anti hunters complaints.many also believe that these are endangered species.in fact parts of south africa now has just the opposite problem with elephant ..too many which is causing the government to consider culling again.years ago a set of tusks from an elephant would fetch a few thousand dollars for a poacher .now days a elephant safari starts out at a very minimum $30,000 and that is a low end one,it is not uncommon to bring in a $100,000 for a 25 day safari, the average dangerous game safari is around 20 days.not exactly a canned hunt.kinda ironic that safari hunting has financed the war on anti poaching to the extent of over population.(the antis just cant understand how hunting helps game)some of that money (trophy fees) goes to a very poor country,ALL of the meat goes to under nourished villages .and the safaris employ the area people .like robocop said the fences are oceans . as far as walking up and just shooting them well some sure look that easy but there not .even the best hunters can have it all go wrong in a matter of seconds.that my friends is why it is dangerous game hunting.Leopard_Attack.flv video by snuffynra - Photobucket

Last edited by snuffynra; 11-24-2009 at 08:04 PM.