what is the reason african safaris charge you for what you kill?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > what is the reason african safaris charge you for what you kill?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default what is the reason african safaris charge you for what you kill?

I was just looking at the "trophy case" on the browning website and i seen some interesting animals, and the location said SA (South Africa) so i went and looked at some safari packages and they charge you per animal you wound or kill. does anyone know why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I suppose it is because they can.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I believe a lot of the hunts take place on land that has animals on it. Like really large farms.

It would stand to reason if you're bringing someone halfway around the world to shoot a tiger or a giraffe ( for whatever god damn reason ) you probably should have access to them.

As such, I would imagine the extra money pays for taxes, pays for maintenence, upkeep, feed, and etc.....

Never saw the use of traveling halfway around the world to be driven to a point within a couple hundred feet of an animal that could never find your address, and blasting a big friggin hole it in just to pose it with a picture of you and your rifle....

But, hey. To each their own.....

Old 10-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

When I was at the range the other day, there was a guy sighting in his rifles to an Africa hunt. I don't remember where he was going, but there were like 7 different animals he was going after and it was going to cost him over $10k. I'm gonna have to agree with JD on this one. I don't see the point in it.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I believe a lot of the hunts take place on land that has animals on it. Like really large farms.

It would stand to reason if you're bringing someone halfway around the world to shoot a tiger or a giraffe ( for whatever god damn reason ) you probably should have access to them.

As such, I would imagine the extra money pays for taxes, pays for maintenence, upkeep, feed, and etc.....

Never saw the use of traveling halfway around the world to be driven to a point within a couple hundred feet of an animal that could never find your address, and blasting a big friggin hole it in just to pose it with a picture of you and your rifle....

+1

I hunt, but I have never been a trophy hunter. The ranches that hold the hunts for trophies also take care of the field dressing, skinning, butchering and sometimes the taxedermy. There are plenty of people with enough money willing to pay for these kind of hunts. Is the same everywhere, including the US and Canada.

There is a ranch close to me that brings in exotic animals and charges a different price for each animal. That is not hunting, that is just plain ol' killing. They make a profit and have been around for many years, so that says something right there.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

In some cases there are different license fees for different animals. Just as here in the states there is one license fee for small game, and an additional fee for deer-bear-turkey.

As far as why- I am still trying to come to grips with folks that would eat anything other than Boston Cream Pie for desert- but some folks like other things.

I have a BIL that has lived in South Africa for 40 years, and have an invite to go visit, and maybe do some hunting- but the airplane ride is a bit much. Time AND price!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i could understand that to a point but not at the fee that is on these animals heads. you can fly over there for whatever, stay a week in a little hut on the hunting plantation that is at $55 per night, but if you shoot an ostrich it will cost you $920.....and that sadly is one of the cheapest trophy prices. I could understand if that was taxidermy included but that is another fee on top of that.

then, after you hunt for the week, as your leaving the plantation, you have the option of buying a dvd of your hunt........sounds good right? well, if you're reading this you might want to sit down and brace yourself. if you want, you can buy a DVD of your hunt for $500 USD.

I can see that now, at the end of the hunt, they say "sir would you be interested in buying a DVD of your hunt?"

"yea sure, let me run outside and see if I cant find someone to sell my soul too first."

Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #8

Two friends of mine got back in July, from a one week hunt in SA. One of the guys goes every two years. From what I am told , it goes this way; three or four( I forgot which), animals are in the original price( Gemsbok, Kudu, Springbok, etc), ANY blood drawn is a kill as far as price goes. Dangerous game has a premium price because a PH has to be there and insure clean kill/client safety. Any animal not included in the original cost is extra.
One of my friends wounded a Zebra and had to pay full price for the animal. He later got another Zebra, but had to pay for an extra animal.
Kinda goes like, if you can't pay, don't play.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 10-28-2009, 01:59 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

I think maybe you are thinking of the game preserves. Lots of game, ride up and take a picture. The hunting of wild game animals, I think, takes place in wild areas where you must find and stalk game, without getting eaten or mauled. You may not find game. Would you want to pay for a lion if you didn't even see one? Thats why trophy fee's, only pay them if you actually shoot something. A wounded animal is considered a dead animal, so if your trackers cant find it, you still gotta pay for it.

Maybe Patrick Sperry will weigh in, I think he used to guide.

You really ought to give "Death In The Long Grass" a read even if you're not a hunter. He11 even my mother couldn't put it down.

Excerpt from Ch.1
-----------------------------
On the dirt floor beside the tent's walls, a watery moonbeam glows on the scratched white stencil of a footlocker: Peter Hankin, Box 72, Chipata.
Inside the travel dented locker lie three flat five-packs of Kynoch 300-grain soft-point cartridges for the battered, silver worn, old-rifle, a Cogswell and Harrison, .375 Holland and Holland Magnum in caliber. But the rifle, as bush-scarred as the face of its owner, is not leaning in its usual place beside the bed.
Operating in a photographic safari area, profesional hunter Peter Hankin has had to leave it at his hunting camp, Chitangulu, forty miles downstream. His friends will later decide that even if he had the rifle now, he would still have less than one minute to live.
---Death In The Long Grass-- Peter H. Capstick

Old 10-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The trophy fees pay for game management just like here in the states we buy hunting licenses & tags. I see nothing wrong with "old fashioned style" eating dust while walking miles upon miles in order to find an animal to stalk close to, then put down cleanly at close range. In fact,if I ever hit the lotto I'm going dangerous game hunting-health (mobility) permitting. It's the trophy fees that provide for these animals' habitat. If not for the safari, the land would all be taken up by farmers & ranchers, and poaching would again become rampant. All this not to mention of the employment by the professional hunters of the natives and the fact that all the meat gets given to the natives (in the case of elephant).

If you draw blood on an animal they have to assume that animal is going to have a fatal wound, and take that into consideration of the number of animal population in that hunting concession. That's plain ol game management. I'm sure Patrick Sperry will be able to enlighten us a LOT more than I.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!