What kind of Camo do you use?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What kind of Camo do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default What kind of Camo do you use?

OK so I just ordered some new camo from Natural Gear. I have seen good things from this manufacture and heard good things from the users. They have 2 patterns their regular and scII I ordered the scII because it had a little more green in it.

Here is the web site but it is down right now. They are moving their whole operation to a new site. Natural Gear - The Science of Camouflage - Shop for Natural Gear Online!

Natural Gear Bush Shirt for Men

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I tried to take a look but it says their site is down until tomorrow. I'm been using mossy oak break up, it blends in very well where I hunt. Hardwood may be a little better once the leaves come off but I can't afford to buy 2 of everything and the break works well in both. I'll give it a look once the site is back up. Thanks Tango.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I personally think the exact brand/pattern of camo is much less important for hunting animals (colorblind) as breaking up the human outline is. All the new & better patterns coming out all the time is somewhat of a gimmick to sell more camo clothes. Having said that I bowhunt (turkey/deer/elk) while wearing 1 of my ghillie suits-real handmade 1s,not store bought crap.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #4

I agree with you Bear. That was the one reason for my choosing the pattern I did.

Predator Extreame did a test and it faired rather well for my condition for a yote. If a yote can't see you then ain't no deer gonna see me's either.

Spitten check the second link it is to bass pro shops

Old 10-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have to tell you that camo is my favorite color. I agree with Bear that the most important aspect of concealment form animals is breaking up your outline. I always where a different camo pattern on my lower half of my body than I do on the upper half. My wife complains about how I don't match but I'm not trying to make a fashion statement.

I find that scent control is by far the most important aspect when hunting. I don't buy into those pricey scent blocker clothing but use no scent detergent and body and hair wash. I seal my hunting clothes in airtight bag between washings. If I'm concerned about odors I roll around in wet leaves and dirt before I enter a particular hunting area.

I never where my rubber boots or hunting clothing anywhere except in the woods. You can pick up a lot of odors in restaurants and at gas stations. If you smell like bacon or ethel your busted.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9167 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Camo? Depends. When I was part of the green machine, a walk in the woods was camo everything, including putting on my war paint.

Mainly I now look at deer hunting (altho I have a friend that is a big time goose hunter, and I cannot describe all of their camo). One of the concerns HAS to be getting capped by another hunter, so I usually leave the ghillie suit in the back of the closet. And VA DOES mandate blaze orange for hunters in gun season.

I believe that turkeys see in color- and very well- but deer see outlines, and more importantly, they see MOVEMENT. Present a human shape upright, they alert right away- especially if it moves. Much of my hunting is now still hunting (ambush) with a rifle. Can't use a tree stand- and sitting or prone is out due to broomstraw that grows about 24 inches tall.

My compromise has been a collapsible chair, a roll of 550 cord, and 10 ft length of woodland camo pattern cheesecloth, 3 feet wide- and an orange vest. Pick my spot where I am not skylighted, good field of view, set up chair (shooting stick/s optional) and run the 550 cord between two trees about 3 feet forward of me, 3 ft off ground. Cheesecloth attaches to 550 cord w/ banker clips. I am now sitting behind camo that breaks up half my outline, I am lower than a standing man, it shields movement of my feet. legs, arms and rifle (in my lap) from view. I am also in the steadiest shooting position I can use- and pretty darn comfortable. Much better than butt on cold, damp ground.

Scent control is also important- note wind direction, use unscented soap on self and hunting clothes, can use masking scent- or just eat an apple (leave the peeling!)

Have tried a sniper's veil, but except for turkey, has not really seemed to make a difference. If you can sit STILL, have had bucks walk with 20 meters of me while I was with bare face, ball cap, orange vest. Had a doe walk close enuff one day that I could have slapped her butt with my ball cap.

Each year, we have a few young hunters that sit with back against tree, doze off, and wake up to find deer looking at them from 30 feet away. I am convinced it was because when they are sleeping, they were holding still.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #7

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

This works best for me:

image002.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks like pretty good stuff tango. I also agree with bear and C3. The deer I just took last week stood there and looked at me for a good 5 minutes, while smelling the air(wind in my favor) and listening. I know she could tell somethng was different about the tree I was in but after finding it not to be a threat she moved into my shooting lane and made the mistake of turning her head back toward the tree line.
Shortly after that I took for a ride in my truck.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #9

Well I have it rough. Back porch, Old 30-06. Shoot, ride truck, skin, cook eat.I got more frigging deer than cattle.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #10

well sounds like you need a guy living on your back porch to help thin them out.

I can cook and cook good too.