Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What grain bullet for whitetail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
That's cool. It's little things that that I wouldn't know. I can't hunt with rifles in this stupid state. I just know what 5.56 can do to a human.
Illinois is a no rifle state for whitetails also... but I can hunt coyote with a
rifle all year except during deer firearms seasons... like that makes any sense.

But I hunt Wisconsin which allows .22 centerfire for Whitetails.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 09-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #42
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Illinois is a no rifle state for whitetails also... but I can hunt coyote with a
rifle all year except during deer firearms seasons... like that makes any sense.

But I hunt Wisconsin which allows .22 centerfire for Whitetails.
I believe we are limited to 22 for coyote after dark. Aside from that I think 90% of the guys around here take them with shotgun because It's the only other thing you can shoot during deer season and the shotgun is what most guys use for deer. I only use the shotgun for pheasant. Aside from that I'm out there with my bow or muzzle loader. I even have a few buddies that hunt pheasant with a smooth bore just for sh!ts and giggles.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #43

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I reload 65gr sierra for whitetail and have used 62gr fusion before. Both bullets work really well on deer based on the ones Ive killed with my mini-14 and AR.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:37 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 479

I usually use at least a 100 gr bullet but I favor 165 gr to 200 gr bullets. With an AR 15 and no dogs to find the deer I highly recommend only taking head shots under 30 yards. I have seen AR bullets disintegrate after striking a small limb. You do know the woods are full of small limbs.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I usually use at least a 100 gr bullet but I favor 165 gr to 200 gr bullets. With an AR 15 and no dogs to find the deer I highly recommend only taking head shots under 30 yards. I have seen AR bullets disintegrate after striking a small limb. You do know the woods are full of small limbs.
Must have been some cheap crappy rounds. I've seen "AR bullets" shoot straight through solid steel and penetrate into walls and trees on the other side. I've seen them penetrate straight through cars (door to door) and keep on going. Heck I've seen them penetrate through some engine components.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-19-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Shade Likes This 
Old 09-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Must have been some cheap crappy rounds. I've seen "AR bullets" shoot straight through solid steel and penetrate into walls and trees on the other side. I've seen them penetrate straight through cars (door to door) and keep on going. Heck I've seen them penetrate through some engine components.
Do you consider Hornady Ballistic tip ammo as crappy? FMJ/TMJ ammo will penetrate car parts. Do you plan to hunt with FMJ/TMJ ammo? I am not the only one that has seen quality bullets fragment when striking brush. Varmint hunters have all seen quality bullets disintegrate when striking a blade of grass.

In a lot of states the .223 isn't considered as adequate for deer hunting. I have seen deer run for close to a mile after several hits in the breadbasket with a 223.

I belong to a club that drives deer with dogs. We have 35 dog owning members. Every year we have guests that show up with an AR 15. They shoot deer and hit them but the deer keeps running for another hunter to put the deer down with an adequate rifle or a shotgun slug. They cry that was my deer but the rule is if the deer is standing the last person to shoot it claims the deer.

It is unethical to hunt with a rifle that will not put a deer down without perfect shot placement. No hunter is a perfect shot. We all make mistakes and sometimes we take shots we regret. If the cartridge you are shooting doesn't create enough hydrostatic shock to knock the deer down for a quick follow up shot, no matter where you hit the deer, it is inadequate.

I have gut shot deer with a 30/06 that didn't run 50 yards. I hope all your shots are true. But if you hunt long enough your bullet will ricochet off a limb or you will just take a poor shot. No one is perfect. An adequate rifle is helps imperfect hunters make clean kills when everything doesn't work out just right.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
In a lot of states the .223 isn't considered as adequate for deer hunting. I have seen deer run for close to a mile after several hits in the breadbasket with a 223.

I belong to a club that drives deer with dogs.
In a lot of states hunting deer with dogs is illegal...

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 09-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #48

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

quote....In a lot of states the .223 isn't considered as adequate for deer hunting. I have seen deer run for close to a mile after several hits in the breadbasket with a 223.

the 'breadbasket" is NOT a vital area........a hit there with ANY rifle will not produce immediate knockdown........poor marksmanship is not a factor in determining an adequate caliber

Old 09-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
quote....In a lot of states the .223 isn't considered as adequate for deer hunting. I have seen deer run for close to a mile after several hits in the breadbasket with a 223.

the 'breadbasket" is NOT a vital area........a hit there with ANY rifle will not produce immediate knockdown........poor marksmanship is not a factor in determining an adequate caliber

When a bullet passes through a deers shoulder blade the deer is supposed to go down on the spot. If you don't consider the shoulder, heart and lungs as a vital area you need a new hobby.

Like I said before no one is perfect. If you claim to be perfect I am forced to call you a liar.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #50

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

the "bread basket" is the stomach

the heart/lung area of which you speak is " the boiler room"

use correct terminology

speaking from experience.........i have shot a dozen whitetails in the boiler room at 25-250 yards with a 62gr sp .223 in which ALL fell dead in their tracks. ADEQUATE