What grain bullet for whitetail - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What grain bullet for whitetail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

@Apex - I appreciate your concern and I am well aware of the ethics conversations that revolve around this topic, I have been reading them for months. I have also been practicing for quite a while well with shot placement on 6 to 8 in targets from 50 to 200 yards. I have no intention of taking shots further than 200 yards and I am only intending to take broadside shots. Lastly, I am not going at this alone, I am heading out with an experienced hunter who has been at this many seasons and knows the area we are going well. I consider myself a pretty "calculating" person and though I have never shot a deer before, I believe I have the presence of mind enough to know my abilities. Like I said I do appreciate your concern, but i also do believe I can do this as well.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #32

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Can the .223 in a 62gr partition take whitetail? Yes. The issue is penetration over distance. Hit a rib, start tracking at 200 yards. If you look at the energy the bullet carrys at 100 yards, it is at the low end for whitetail. After that, not a great idea. Since most whatetail are harvested under 100 yards, you would be ok if you keep distance in mind.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #33

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred61 View Post
@Apex - I appreciate your concern and I am well aware of the ethics conversations that revolve around this topic, I have been reading them for months. I have also been practicing for quite a while well with shot placement on 6 to 8 in targets from 50 to 200 yards. I have no intention of taking shots further than 200 yards and I am only intending to take broadside shots. Lastly, I am not going at this alone, I am heading out with an experienced hunter who has been at this many seasons and knows the area we are going well. I consider myself a pretty "calculating" person and though I have never shot a deer before, I believe I have the presence of mind enough to know my abilities. Like I said I do appreciate your concern, but i also do believe I can do this as well.
As long as you know your limitations and those of your gear you are a step ahead of many hunter out there with larger calibers. I would add one more skill to your list and that is tracking, just in my experience smaller caliber tend to make smaller entry and exit wounds hence blood trailing can be significantly harder, smallest I have ever used is a 243 and that is getting pretty slim sometimes when trying to track in thick underbrush. Having good lighting handy can make life easier tracking in low light conditions.
One thing to note and I am not endorsing this but the most successful AR hunter I know (the only one I know personally who has not lost one yet) claims to take only neck shots.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #34

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

[IMG][URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/sniper762/media/HUNTING/chrisdeer.jpg.html][IMG] [IMG][/IMG][URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/sniper762/media/HUNTING/NICKSDEER.jpg.html]

all but 30-06 hunter with 62 gr. sierra sps reloads (2600fps) 1-shot drops (inexperienced hunters)

nicks-deer.jpg  

Last edited by sniper762; 09-14-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I prefer Remington 180 grain.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddchaney
I prefer Remington 180 grain.
So tell us about this 180 grain .223/.556 ammo......

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
racer_x Likes This 
Old 09-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

As I was surfing I ran across this article.

http://www.futurefirepower.com/myths-about-the-nato-556-cartridge

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #38
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Interesting article. I'm still not sure 5.56 would be my first choice for a hunting caliber. Will it work? Absolutely. Would I use it? Yes. But...we're still talking about a bullet that can hit you in the a$$ and come out your shoulder. A well placed shot on a deer could still potentially hit a rib and come out through the guts. Not exactly a perfect kill.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Interesting article. I'm still not sure 5.56 would be my first choice for a hunting caliber. Will it work? Absolutely. Would I use it? Yes. But...we're still talking about a bullet that can hit you in the a$$ and come out your shoulder. A well placed shot on a deer could still potentially hit a rib and come out through the guts. Not exactly a perfect kill.
Part of that equation is also to the barrel twist; my experience with a high
twist rate barrel (1:7 and 1:9) and 62gr Barnes TSX bullets I have good
penetration and no internal ricochets.

While velocity, mass and twist all are part of terminal ballistics; bullet design
is likely a much bigger part of performance.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Last edited by Shade; 09-18-2013 at 02:15 PM.
sandog Likes This 
Old 09-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #40
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Part of that equation is also to the barrel twist; my experience with a high
twist rate barrel (1:7 and 1:9) and 62gr Barnes TSX bullets I have good
penetration and no internal ricochets.
That's cool. It's little things that that I wouldn't know. I can't hunt with rifles in this stupid state. I just know what 5.56 can do to a human.

I don't need No stinking signature.