What grain of 223 should i use for deer in tx - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What grain of 223 should i use for deer in tx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
My opinion 223 is too light for deer but ive seen them drop like rocks from that round. Shot placement is a must.
I do agree that .224 caliber bullets are on the light side for deer, I shoot
coyotes with them regularly. I think the farthest I have had either move
is 20-30 yds from the point they were hit as.

Shot placement is critical with a light bullet, most of my whitetail hunting is
done with .284 or .308 Barnes TSX bullets, the farthest they move is 5-10
yds when they get hit with one of them.

Quote:
I think ballistic tips and hp are to frangible for deer greatly increasing the odds of superficial wounds and lost deer. My recomendation is a heavy 70+ grain softpoint. If your gun can handle 75 or greater and still hold 3 inches at 150yds your good to go.
I was a die hard Nosler Partition hunter until I discovered Barnes TSX bullets.

I have tried several of the polymer tips, I have never had good success with
any on the poly tips they never seem to open the entry and exit wounds are
the same caliber, just never had good expansion. Maybe just my bad luck,
I know some guys love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAKINANAYA View Post
thanks for the help one more question should i go for a neck shot or just the heart?
Always aim for the vitals, heart and lungs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
A 60-grain Nosler Partition might be just the ticket.

A neck shot will drop 'em like a bag of hammers and some times is a little bit easier of a shot to make, depending on the circumstances and how good of a shot you are.
Partitions are very good, TSX are better, you should try them.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #12

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

most factory loaded 223 is not too LIGHT, but too FAST. (blow up before adequately penetrating)

reload 62 gr. sierra soft points to 2600fps.

one shot in the vitals drops em in their tracks out to 300 yards.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #13

Don't let anyone give you any crap. A 222 or a 223 will do great! I dropped multiple deer with a single shot to the shoulder or neck. I used Winchester cxp varmint bullets. They exploded inside the deer and dropped him there. I also served as a bobcat bullet while deer hunting. It's a great caliber overall and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

you arent ready to live until your ready to die

Old 06-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you go for a heart shot the deer will be dead, but can run more than a 100 yards. The 22 cal bullet will usually not go all the way through so there will be little or no blood trail. I have taken numerous deer in Texas using a neck shot, aiming for the neck just under the chin. A shot like this breaks the neck and cuts the spinal cord. The deer will drop dead in it's tracks. This is also the most humane shot a hunter can make. Obviously, a well tuned rifle and good marksmanship it the key.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #15
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1178 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 568

The only two bullets that I will hunt hogs or deer with in .224 caliber are the 65gr Sierra Gameking or the 70gr Nosler Soft Point.
Under 150 yards,either bullet will drop them in their tracks 9 out of 10 times with no need in tracking them.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default .223

If I had to use a .223 on deer ....nosler partitions or the new razorbacks

Old 07-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #17

Default 70 grain

Quote:
My opinion 223 is too light for deer but ive seen them drop like rocks from that round. Shot placement is a must.

I think ballistic tips and hp are to frangible for deer greatly increasing the odds of superficial wounds and lost deer. My recomendation is a heavy 70+ grain softpoint. If your gun can handle 75 or greater and still hold 3 inches at 150yds your good to go.

Remington likes to use 1:12 twistfor their bolt guns in 223 which is great for varmints it doesnt lend itself well at all to heavier bullets needed for deer. While tumbling on impact or befor it hits is great for warfare its terrible for hunting when you want the bullet to expand in a controlled fashion, not self destruct like wedge antilles' proton torpedo on the outer skin of the death star...

The Speer 70 grain semi spitzer will stabilize in my .225 Winchester custom Ruger #1 varmint rifle, and it has a 1 in 13" twist, and the accuracy is sub MOA. It should stabilize in a 1 in 12 twist. In fact, Speer designed this bullet for deer. I load it w/ H380 at around 3300 fps. It should be a great deer round, but I don't want to lug a heavy varmint rifle in the woods.
cottontop

Old 07-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 350 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 612

What twist rate do you have in your rifle? If you have a 1:7 twist I would go with a 75 gr or heavier. If you have a 1:9 twist I would go with a 70 gr or 62 gr.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #19

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAKINANAYA
I got a new Remington model 700sps tactical in 223. I have a model 700 in 308 but love to shoot the 223. My question is what grain will be enough to kill a deer at 100-200 yards.
If you have a damn 308 theen why even chance a stupid marginal hit on a deer " big game" with a damn varmit rifle. Sorry but stupid crap like this just gets under my skin, use a caliber designed for big game, you damn well owe it to the game we hunt to make clean kills not bs wounded animals becouse to light of bullets an calibers are used. Im glad New Mexico is smart enough to have min caliber restrictions for big game. People should be thinkin the same

Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
The Speer 70 grain semi spitzer will stabilize in my .225 Winchester custom Ruger #1 varmint rifle, and it has a 1 in 13" twist, and the accuracy is sub MOA. It should stabilize in a 1 in 12 twist. In fact, Speer designed this bullet for deer. I load it w/ H380 at around 3300 fps. It should be a great deer round, but I don't want to lug a heavy varmint rifle in the woods.
cottontop
Twist rate is only a part of the equation for stability. Velocity is the other. RPMs give stability. You cannot shoot a 70 gr bullet out of a .223 fast enough to get sufficient stabilization. 63? maybe.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball