Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What grain of 223 should i use for deer in tx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default What grain of 223 should i use for deer in tx

I got a new Remington model 700sps tactical in 223. I have a model 700 in 308 but love to shoot the 223. My question is what grain will be enough to kill a deer at 100-200 yards.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/tsx-bullet/

I have a 1:9 twist barrel and I did not have any issues with the 70 grain
TSX bullets. They drop whitetails with no issues.

FYI.
http://kwk.us/twist.html

SG (specific gravity for the copper jacketed lead core is ~10.9)
Remember to change the SG as needed.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #3

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

Just pick a HP or ballistic tipped bullet that shoots well out of your gun at 200 and go with it , anything from 55-70 gr should work great. Shot placement is always the key

Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5320 Times on 2776 Posts
Likes Given: 336

My opinion 223 is too light for deer but ive seen them drop like rocks from that round. Shot placement is a must.

I think ballistic tips and hp are to frangible for deer greatly increasing the odds of superficial wounds and lost deer. My recomendation is a heavy 70+ grain softpoint. If your gun can handle 75 or greater and still hold 3 inches at 150yds your good to go.

Remington likes to use 1:12 twistfor their bolt guns in 223 which is great for varmints it doesnt lend itself well at all to heavier bullets needed for deer. While tumbling on impact or befor it hits is great for warfare its terrible for hunting when you want the bullet to expand in a controlled fashion, not self destruct like wedge antilles' proton torpedo on the outer skin of the death star...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #5

The SPS tactical is a 1:9 twist , I would personally shoot 62 gr and up skip the 55 gr . its doesnt take much to kill a deer , heart or lungs and they wont go more than 100 yards , and Jon is right a soft point would probably be better suited and have a harder shotwave hit on the larger animal . I see your out in Texas shouldnt be to hard to find a downed deer out there in the desert

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

thanks for the help one more question should i go for a neck shot or just the heart?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A 60-grain Nosler Partition might be just the ticket.

A neck shot will drop 'em like a bag of hammers and some times is a little bit easier of a shot to make, depending on the circumstances and how good of a shot you are.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #8

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

heart shot

Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5320 Times on 2776 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
The SPS tactical is a 1:9 twist , I would personally shoot 62 gr and up skip the 55 gr . its doesnt take much to kill a deer , heart or lungs and they wont go more than 100 yards , and Jon is right a soft point would probably be better suited and have a harder shotwave hit on the larger animal . I see your out in Texas shouldnt be to hard to find a downed deer out there in the desert
i deer hunt and hog hunt down in the deep south of tejas. i take it youve never been lost in several acres of prickly pear cactus... heh makes the midwest corn maze look like a boyscout picnic heh.

trust me that whitetail can get in some really small holes through those thickets!! if you manage to avoid the spine not get lost and find your deer you then have to drag it back through the impossible way you came dodging 6 foot rattlers and cactus spines. at the point where the deer/hog finally kicked over he managed to cover every square inch of its hide in cactus spines which go through everything short of plate steel like its not there.

there is a reason i prefer using 350grn soft points out of my winchester model 70 in 458winmag going 2400fps!! i dont like chasing deer!!

plus you got these little land mines scattered at random...

then to top it off the trees have thorns

that is why i dont use anything on a deer im not 100% sure it will drop where i shoot it!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-24-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #10

I grew up out in AZ so I know about them damn ol prickly pear cactus's and rattlers , I HATE SNAKES !!!!!!!. Never been hunting in TX but Im sure its a challenge to . I wanna come out there and shoot some hogs some time . Thats my next big hunt, ,my last one was canada black bear with my bow . Yup that was fun !!!!

Last edited by purehavoc; 04-24-2012 at 02:13 AM.