Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > what do you guys think of using an sks for hunting deer?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey RL357Mag - I am going to test out the HP Russian 7.62X39 on some does next December. Will be using a bolt action CZ rifle. Will try a standard HP round and then a bullet modified with a dremel. I want to try a shallow + on the point of a HP round. Will be able to take the does in a 20 to 80 yard range. Cannot imagine with good heart/lung placement either round will not do the job.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 2937

Several years ago I killed 7 or 8 deer with an SKS: All of them flopped at the first round. None were over 75 yards away when shot. Ammo was the Wolf soft point.

If you are going to scope an SKS for hunting do it right with the Choate mount. Nothing else works right. I installed my own Choate mount using a drill press and it works well.

*Collecting and Shooting the SKS* Carbine - Choate Scope Mount

Old 07-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-BOLT View Post
Hey RL357Mag - I am going to test out the HP Russian 7.62X39 on some does next December. Will be using a bolt action CZ rifle. Will try a standard HP round and then a bullet modified with a dremel. I want to try a shallow + on the point of a HP round. Will be able to take the does in a 20 to 80 yard range. Cannot imagine with good heart/lung placement either round will not do the job.
If you have a CZ Rifle why would you shoot cheap steel cased russian crap ammo? You are not realizing the full capability of that rifle. Do yourself a favor and start reloading - you'll see groups shrink in half! I recently read an article that said you can gain accuracy from pulling the bullets of the cheap steel cased ammo and re-seating premium bullets in their place.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Please place the Dremal in the trash and step away from the can. Bullets are made a specific way and you go "Modifing them" with a dremal all your going to do is throw that bullet out of whack and do nothing but waste good ammo that could be used to kill zombies.

Between that and the "I'm gonna shoot steel cased ammo in my nice CZ" I am not sure you should even own a firearm.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Easy cpttango 30, what factual evidence do you have that the Russian ammo is going to hurt the CZ Rifle. If we are afraid to modify and change things we would still be throwing rocks at our game. I have taken a lifetime of game for a lot of folks, now I like to try different twist in the hunts from scent control to the weapon.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Easy cpttango 30, what factual evidence do you have that the Russian ammo is going to hurt the CZ Rifle. If we are afraid to modify and change things we would still be throwing rocks at our game. I have taken a lifetime of game for a lot of folks, now I like to try different twist in the hunts from scent control to the weapon.
At the risk of stepping into some patties, I am going to say this. If the Russian ammo (or other eastern bloc mfr) is corrosive, it contains salt in the packing (powder wadding). If it is more recent Wolf, the steel cases are coated with a resin of sorts. Upon ignition, vapors are released from the case. Others will say that the steel can cause undue wear on the action, and from the huge burr I've seen on the steel cases, I tend to agree.

I too, am not sure why you would want to physically alter any bullet (esp HP's) to see if they will kill better with a good shot placement.

Just my opinion, and we all know that is not worth any more than you want it to.

I say, if you want to, dremmel away.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's not that it going to hurt the rifle, the point is that CZ s rifles are very well made and very accurate rifles. Wolf or any other steel cased crap will only produce marginal accuracy and is not a good choice for hunting ammo. Many AR manufacturers advise against using this ammo because it CAN damage an AR and cause FTF, FTE, and stuck cases due to laquer build-up in the chamber.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith84 View Post
hi yall. i was wondering about yalls thoughts on this. i live in ga by the way i believe it is legal to hunt deer with it. i am getting an sks with a monte carlo stock and a scope on it. will this work out pretty well? i'm a pretty good marksman. its my first year going hunting. thanks for any replies guys.
Shoot yeah it will make a good dear gun. My first sks was a Chinese one and the guy before me had took quite a few deer with it. Had the pics to prove to. From my experiense with it, it makes a real good pig gun. All in all a realy good brush gun. Like that one guy further back in the posts said the scope realy needs to be side mounted if you use one. Those top cover mounts arent realy worth a hill of beens and if you are luck enough to get one that doesnt move that much you still have to take it off every time you clean it.. Nothing wrong with synthetic stocks especialy if its all ready on it..

SI VIC PACEM PARABELLUM

Last edited by Seadog75; 07-10-2009 at 05:16 AM.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:25 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8417 Times on 3648 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Eastern Whitetail? Good gun. Stalkingbear about covered it.

I do use a topmount scope- but the bolt cover was fitted to the rifle (Swiss file to fit) and it is TIGHT. If the cover is not a rigid tight fit, ungood.

Ref: Ammo- Russian military style hollow point is NOT a hunting round- the HP is for accuracy, not expansion. Spend the money, get some decent softpoint HUNTING ammo.

Corrosive comes not from any packing, it comes from the PRIMER. Primers on the Warsaw Pact and Chinese military ammo (and old US military ammo, like WW II 30-06) used primers based on Potassium Chlorate. When fired, they burn to Potassium Chloride- a first cousin to table salt. Not cause for panic- just clean them the right way (hot soapy water). I have 3 Russian rifles, and a few 8mm Mausers- they get a steady diet of corrosive primed Milsurp ammo.

SOME states DO place a limit on magazine capacity- Colorado was 5 rds. Never needed 5 rds at once when deer hunting- rarely will you ever miss clean on first, and get him with the second- let alone the 10th, 20th, or 30th!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I hunt all kinds of game with my sks, from coyotes, raccoons and other varmins all the way up to whitetails, But yeah use some premium softpoints for a humane kill, and always remember SHOT PLACEMENT!!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Closed Thread