Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   what do you guys think of using an sks for hunting deer? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/what-do-you-guys-think-using-sks-hunting-deer-15425/)

dsmith84 07-05-2009 02:15 AM

what do you guys think of using an sks for hunting deer?

hi yall. i was wondering about yalls thoughts on this. i live in ga by the way i believe it is legal to hunt deer with it. i am getting an sks with a monte carlo stock and a scope on it. will this work out pretty well? i'm a pretty good marksman. its my first year going hunting. thanks for any replies guys.

skullcrusher 07-05-2009 02:27 AM

I don't see why not, as long as you make sure it is legal, or what legal is. Usually, the rifle laws deal with capacity and sometimes barrel length. At .278, the round is smaller than a .300 win mag. I'd double check the laws for magazine capacity if the sks has a detachable mag.

suprdave 07-05-2009 03:27 PM

Just buy some premium ammo. The regular hollow points won't do the deed.

RL357Mag 07-05-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmith84 (Post 125105)
hi yall. i was wondering about yalls thoughts on this. i live in ga by the way i believe it is legal to hunt deer with it. i am getting an sks with a monte carlo stock and a scope on it. will this work out pretty well? i'm a pretty good marksman. its my first year going hunting. thanks for any replies guys.

The 7.62x39mm round has virtually the same ballistics as the 30-30. The difference is that the 30-30 ammo is flat nose soft point and mushrooms effectively at the ranges and velocities for which it is intended and loaded. The 7.62 x 39 in it's military offerings is only available in FMJ or HP. Winchester does make a soft point hunting round, which is what I would use - but they are about $18/20 rounds, which would last several seasons once you sight it in with the cheap military ball crap...you may have to change out the mag or insert a piece of wood under the shell carrier to limit it's capacity to 5 rounds, which is the law in some states.

dsmith84 07-05-2009 10:45 PM

thank you guys for your help

divinginn 07-06-2009 04:56 AM

I used to hunt with mine here in Ga some,10 rounds is legal,never saw a limit on rifles. Just buy some good ammo for it. Ga law just requires a rifle to be center fire 22 caliber or larger,I think the 30 cal. carbine was illegal due to low power. I can tell you carrying around a full 30 round clip gets old quick due to weight and balance issues,I would usually load about 10 rounds in it. The stock 10 round mag would be much better for hunting but I had all ready converted it to a detachable clip before I ever took it hunting.

dsmith84 07-06-2009 07:24 PM

i found some 5 round hunting mags for the sks for around ten dollars. nice to hear from a fellow georgian. where ya from? i'm from the waycross area down near the florida line

divinginn 07-07-2009 04:28 AM

about 30 miles north of the cesspool. some call it Atlanta

orangello 07-07-2009 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmith84 (Post 125630)
i found some 5 round hunting mags for the sks for around ten dollars.

I think i saw those at Midwayusa.whatever; i plan to have a few by this winter. I also plan to do some deer hunting with my SKS, if i can settle my scope mount issues.

stalkingbear 07-07-2009 11:46 AM

Hunting with a SKS is entirely possible and ethical as long as you use COMMERCIALLY loaded ammo with soft points only, and if I was you I'd limit shots to within 150 yards.