What do Y'all think? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

What do Y'all think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2158 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

This may sound stupid. But, I havent hunted since I was a kid. And then it was only rabbits. My question is, "Aren't hogs dangerous?" I have a friend that hog hunts with a 45-70. The way he talks, I thought they could mess you up pretty bad. If so, why would you want to use a .22?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Default hunting hogs

I once had a hog hit me from the side so hard it knocked me out of my boots but then my pard and I caught him live --the hog did not cut me --just knocked me straight up in the air and ran down the hill--I guess he thot that was fun and came back for more but this time I was ready and cornered him and caught him --Hog hunting is great

Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #13

I have seen plenty of hogs killed with a .22 while caught in a trap. On the other hand, I have seen hogs charge after being shot multiple times with a high powered rifle. Personally, I would not want to be in the woods with an angry hog and only a .22 for protection. But then again, I would not want to go after one with a knife either.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Default what do y'all think

One year my pard and I killed 30 wild hogs ---we ate them and always gave the farmer (Land owner) a choice of us having the hogs or him/her.After all they raised the hogs -so to speak-most often the land owner wanted at least one of the hogs caught on their place.Wild hog meat is GOOD.We started off shooting the hogs but that did not last long ---we decided for the sport of it we would stab the hogs with a k-bar--now that is up close and personal I am not a young man (tomorrow I will be 73) but did not want to be an arm chair hog hunter. We did not trap hogs,,we hunted hogs with dogs in the Ozarks.Please do not misunderstand me we always carry a side arm --sometimes as small as a .17 and sometimes as large as a 30/30 thompson center most often we carried a 9mm or a 357

Last edited by keitho; 08-11-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: left something out

Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 595 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I agree with 300,, if a shotgun is legal, carry some slugs or 00 buckshot, if that is legal in your area. If you bowhunt, take that. I broken many a cedar arrow loosing them at tree-rats with my longbow. Kill several a year that way,, just try and wait until they are on the ground,, dirt is not as hard on arrows as hickory trees. A quatering away shot, low in the heart area with a sharp broadhead, takes hogs down after a short run many times. Hogs are very good quarry for stalking, just watch the wind.

Jeff

Old 08-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #16

Liked 230 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 53

A .22 mag in that revolver is almost identical to a .22LR out of a rifle as far as velocity and killing power.You said .22 rimfires are what's legal,so I would go all out and carry a .22 mag rifle for hogs,since a .22 mag out of a rifle is twice the power of a .22 mag out of that handgun.I would use the single six with .22lr or .22 short for small game and keep the .22 mag with you for hogs,if it's a rimfire they certainly can't say you weren't using that mag rimfire for small game.

Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Newest Threads