Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   What to do? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/what-do-30244/)

danf_fl 08-09-2010 09:54 PM

What to do?

Iwas just asked what is the best coyote rifle. A person has had cats eaten by a coyote and would like to remove the pest.

Do I:
1. Suggest a good rifle?
2. Suggest removal of the food source?
3. Offer to take the watch and secure his property of invading canines?

dunerunner 08-09-2010 09:59 PM

Remove the food source. Coyote are predators of opportunity. Let you pet or kid roam free and you take your chances.

Doesn't hurt to suggest a good AR though!!

hunter Joe 08-09-2010 10:00 PM

IMHO, all of the above.

Josey Wales '94 08-09-2010 10:01 PM

Where does he live? Suburb, rural......
And its up to you, you could say, "Hey if you want, I'll take care of him."
Or, as you said you could suggest ways to take him out, or take his reason for comin around out. Up to you.

orangello 08-09-2010 10:14 PM

Why not kill the coyote(s) for him & feed them to the cats.

Alternatively, you could offer some self-defense classes for the household pets. :)

I'm still waiting to hear of a successful coyote hunt using the Ipod/Iphone app "Kitty!" that imitates various categories of cat sounds, including kitten calls. It works on most of the household pets i've tried it on.

stalkingbear 08-09-2010 10:18 PM

I'd go for #2 and #3. After all you don't want to miss out on the fun of popping them yourself. Another thing-if he/she is in an urban or suburban location it may not be safe to use a rifle.

danf_fl 08-09-2010 10:45 PM

He told me that the coyote was following him when he was bush-hogging. I'll check, but sounds kind of rural.

amoroque 08-09-2010 10:52 PM

Sounds to me like most of the food source was already removed.....LOL

Ok.......kidding aside, I would suggest 1, 2 or 3. But personally, 3 would be the most fun!

jpattersonnh 08-09-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoroque (Post 328863)
Sounds to me like most of the food source was already removed.....LOL

Ok.......kidding aside, I would suggest 1, 2 or 3. But personally, 3 would be the most fun!

If he is clearing bush and a coyote is following, tell him to get a 12ga w/ #4 lead. He may have a den near to where he is cutting.

Dillinger 08-09-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 328825)
Iwas just asked what is the best coyote rifle. A person has had cats eaten by a coyote and would like to remove the pest.

Do I:
1. Suggest a good rifle?
2. Suggest removal of the food source?
3. Offer to take the watch and secure his property of invading canines?

1. - No. Unless they are an accomplished shooter, in which case they shouldn't be asking you for a caliber. So answer one....

2. - If by remove the source you mean telling them to get rid of the cats, you are probably going to encounter some resistance to that.

3. - Unless you have a lawyer on retainer and a bunch of cash just laying around for "fun money"?? No.

Tell them you call game and wildlife, and baring that, get a hold of a professional and at least get a quote. Game traps can backfire on the home owner, and shooting animals without proper permits, out of season and in danger of backdrop can just lead to legal troubles no one needs.

I am all for whacking some 'yotes, but you need to be realistic and consider the real world implications for possible actions.

Good luck.