Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Went out Alone First season,Got one (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/went-out-alone-first-season-got-one-21150/)

ninjatoth 12-15-2009 06:43 PM

Went out Alone First season,Got one

1 Attachment(s)
Well,last year I went hunting for the first time ever.I never took hunter's safety,so it was illegal for me to hunt alone without an "adult" with me.Well,I sucked in my pride at age 29 and sat with 12 year olds for 2 days and earned my hunter's safety certificate 2 months ago.Well,I went out alone,and on my 2nd day out I saw 3 does coming straight at me,with the largest doe leading.When they got about 30 yards from me a took a shot with my .444 and dropped the leader.She dropped right away.I made a poor shot I found out later,hit between the vitals and stomach,but the gun still did it's job.

photopro 12-15-2009 07:56 PM

Shot placement

You probably now realize shot placement is very important. The most efficient location is a heart/lung shot, the so called "boiler room". If done correctly is will just about guarantee a kill and just as importantly not contaminate the meat with gut contents, bearing in mind the potential problems associated with E-Coli. Head shots on deer should only be taken as a last resort and at close range, it is very easy to shoot off the bottom jaw of an animal making a slow and agonizing death a certainty.
Wait for a braodside next time you will enjoy the excitement more plus you will have taken a step closer in becoming an experienced hunter.
Happy first kill !! :)

photopro

ninjatoth 12-15-2009 09:18 PM

I took the shot for the vitals.She was moving so that's why I was off.I doubt the meat was contaminated.Nothing was punctured,no vitals nor guts.The bullet went right through near the spine,so I suspect I broke her back and severed vessels and that's why she went down and died so fast.

photopro 12-15-2009 10:31 PM

Sounds good. If you shoot many more you will probably find softpoints the best option as they produce less meat damage but are still effective. Ballistic tips have stopping power but can blast the internals to mush.

photopro

hunter Joe 12-18-2009 05:31 PM

Hey bro, congratulation. If you have hunted any length of time, the odds are your going to make a bad shot sooner or later. Sounds as if you got yours out of the way right from the get-go. The bottom line is that you recovered the animal and that is most important in my opinion. Good job. Joe

ninjatoth 12-18-2009 05:36 PM

Yeah,the deer went down instantly.I have a feeling if I would have used my dad's 30-30 maybe she wouldn't have went down like she did.30 yards with a .444 seems to be a good combo even with poor shots.

spittinfire 12-18-2009 06:08 PM

Awesome!! Personally, I think a 444 is a bit large for whitetail but it will get the job done. Glad you had a successful hunt. Now go eat some venison!

hunter Joe 12-18-2009 06:13 PM

Yeah, like Spittinfire said, eat your meat or you can't have any pudding.

ninjatoth 12-18-2009 06:14 PM

oh I been eatin.My wife rolls it up in those asian wraps with cabbage onion and carrots and deep fries it.It don't even taste like venison.

ninjatoth 12-18-2009 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have went hunting only 2 years,first time with my father in law and 2nd time this year alone.I got lucky both times,made 2 shots off from where I was aiming yet both dropped instantly,I think it is the guns or something.Last year I used a .270 Weatherby Magnum and this year I used a .444 marlin with Leverevolution ammo.