Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > watch your step !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default watch your step !

2 of my buddies went down to our east tx deer lease( panola county) to scout around for some stand sites ,1 buddy took his dog .....the dog was bitten by a snake and died within a hour . They shaved the hair from around the puncture marks and they measured 1 -3/4 inches between the holes . Bite was found between the lower neck and front shoulder and had turned black 5 inches around wound site . The snake was never seen but had to have been a very big timber rattler .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8053

Oh, geeze. I am so sorry this happened to the dog. No rattlesnakes where I live.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:13 AM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Lord snakes give me the creeps.I would be a bad hunter in Texas. There aint no game on the ground in front of your feet and thats where i would have my eyes peeled and all out fitted with some of those knee high snake boots I seen the hunters wear in florida.
I went through boot camp in Fort leanard wood Mo. Back in 1976 and where we bivwacked once. One of the the guys in my squad killed a copper head about 4 foor long and came packing it out on the end of a entrenching tool.That night i had guard duty. No lights and i had to walk the perimeter of the tents in low scrub brush. Every step was a heart moving experience and I could feel a bite any second. It was the longest three hours I think I ever spent.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #4

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My dog was bit by a sidewinder last year. It was not a Mojave Green, so he survived. Problem is it damaged a heart valve. The Vet can give dogs a shot now that will often save them. The dog must get a booster each year after the first shot. All dogs in snake country should get this shot. A snake that big and a bite in the side will still likely die. But I have known dogs with the shot to make it after a bite from a larger snakes.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #5

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
2 of my buddies went down to our east tx deer lease( panola county) to scout around for some stand sites ,1 buddy took his dog .....the dog was bitten by a snake and died within a hour . They shaved the hair from around the puncture marks and they measured 1 -3/4 inches between the holes . Bite was found between the lower neck and front shoulder and had turned black 5 inches around wound site . The snake was never seen but had to have been a very big timber rattler .
I am in actual sorrow. I dreadfully feel sorry for the loss of your friends doggy. We look forward to praying, and trust that this time will soon pass.

Zoey,