Washington state hunting

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Washington state hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Washington state hunting

Hey guys, I lived in pa all my life and mainly hunted white tail. I had moved to Washington state about an hour west from Seattle and have no idea about the hunting out here. I have a winchester 30-06 so I gotta couple questions. I know the -06 is a good general round so would that be good or should I move up. Second question is what when and how do I get involved in hunting here? I'm used to just gettin my buddies together goin out and puttin some drives on. Any hints for wa huntin?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Find somebody with private land.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #3

Lived most of my 45 years here in Washington and been hunting here since I was about 17 years old. Never found the need for anything more then a 30-06 myself. Not saying theres anything wrong with higher power rifles, just that Iv'e never felt under gunned with an 06. It does anything I need to do at the ranges that I'm comfortable shooting at and for me thats about 400 yards and under. Also never had the oppurtunity to hunt private land yet.

ex U.S.Navy Submariner 1985-1989
USS Sturgeon SSN 637

Last edited by 97powerstroke; 02-26-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There's nothing on the North American continent that the 30-06 isn't capable of handling. You should be good to go unless you just want something else, and there's nothing wrong with that, either!

Go online to the Washington State's department of natural resources (it may be called something else) and research the game laws and public hunting areas. There may also be local forums that can steer you to hunting clubs or recommendations for public lands as well.

It's a beautiful state with lots of good outdoor opportunities. Enjoy!

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #5

The only real isue I have about hunting around here is I find that it gets VERY crowded in the woods during hunting season. Especialy on the west side. LOTS of road hunters and many really don't go far from the roads, but I find that if I get only about a half mile or more in or more I generaly have the woods to myself. Wilderness area is a good place. No roads, just trails.
There is a big differance between the eastern and western washington. West side (Packwood for instance) is typicly wet and pretty thick with cover, at least during modern rifle season. Archery season I think might have better weather at least early in the season. East side is usually a bit dryer, colder and has a lot more open country and you will find both Mulies and white tails over there. You will find elk on both sides of the hills. Havn't hunted west of seattle yet so can't really comment on that area.

ex U.S.Navy Submariner 1985-1989
USS Sturgeon SSN 637

Last edited by 97powerstroke; 02-29-2012 at 07:22 PM.