Virginia To Restore Elk

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Virginia To Restore Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Default Virginia To Restore Elk

The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries has decided to restore a wild elk herd in buchanan county in southwest Virginia,and the rockyMountain Elk Foundation has pledged support for the effort. The plan calls for relocating 75 elk,with releases possibly beginning as early as 2012. Biologists are hoping for a sustainable elk population and a limited elk-hunting season within four years. Buchanan county officials are expecting significant economic and tourism benefits similar to those in neighboring Kentucky,which launched it's own resoration program more than a decade ago and now boasts the largest elk herd east of the Rockies...there you go ttango happy hunting...soon every body will have elk again...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

We usually go down to the Moose Lodge.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #3

The Moose Lodge has great food,my dad is a member...sounds easy'r

Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #4

The farmers in North West Arkansas are having problems with the Elk because of destroyed fences and their eating the hay fields. It is great for hunters but the farmers are having all sorts of problems.They are free ranging and go where they want to.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

Don't they pay the farmers for there destroyed fences and fields...

Old 11-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #6

No, it is the Elks fault, our game and fish commission has the White Earp syndrome like a lot of federal and state employees. That is my opinion. The farmers are on their own yet federal and state money are paying to restock the Elk. I still can have a opinion.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Right now in That area of VA is you see an elk in VA you can shoot it and use a deer tag to claim it.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #8

I heard that VA was upset at one time that a few KY Elk made it over? I think having Elk on the East is great. Now if I could only get a tag

Old 11-24-2010, 11:29 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Don't get me wrong, but it's hard to "restore" something that isn't indigenous. What they are doing is shipping in really large animals, creating an artificial environment to support their survival, and drawing in people to shoot them from air conditioned hunting stands complete with Jacuzzis, 300" televisions, hot and cold running strumpets and a chef. It was just a couple years ago when I read a story about a guy shooting a huge elk in New York State. It was effectively a pet, but the guy holds the state record.
My apologies to anyone I might offend, but taking game that wouldn't otherwise be there if not for the intentional baiting (Feeders, corn/bean/clover plots planted by the "Herd Managers") and other such conveniences intended to make it quick and easy and comfortable, and this insipid concept of dragging foreign species into an area just because there's a profit to be made is not hunting. It's McHunting. It's like raising marlins in a damned swimming pool.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 11-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Hell- for that, I would leave the rifle at home, and go for the jacuzzi, the strumpets, and the chef. Throw in a bottle of Merlot, and we have a deal!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.