Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Varmints in the "burbs"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Just get a bow and put 'em down.

Here we have whats known as "Urban deer hunting zones" You can double your bag limits in the zone. its archery only.

My house was built in 1923, downtown. I have seen deer in front of my house and the other night a saw a red fox run across the road 2 blocks away while riding my motorcycle.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I'm sure there are coyotes all around you. You just aren't seeing them. Though my sister contends where you see foxes you won't see coyotes since they compete for the same food. She may be right, I don't know.
Coyotes eat foxes. In most areas outside of the odd black bear or perhaps bob cat or mountain lion, coyotes are the apex predator. At least on the east coast.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
You do realize that man is indigenous to the same habitat. If a deer invades a wolf's habitat the deer loses. Top of food chain and all that.

Why does everybody think man is not part of nature?
Because you are killing for fun, for power, or to get an animal out of your way, not for food. You already have a fridge full of big macs and potato chips, a wolf doesn't.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:12 AM   #14

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Varmits to Vittles

Not long ago we never had such troubles that'd a little pepper, Salt and some bacon grease couldent cure.

http://youtu.be/qNPCnMaWV2M

Old 12-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1540 Times on 941 Posts
Likes Given: 7843

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRhino View Post
Because you are killing for fun, for power, or to get an animal out of your way, not for food. You already have a fridge full of big macs and potato chips, a wolf doesn't.
ACRhino, with all due respect my family and I only hunt for three reasons, food, population control, and to get out of the house, away from our daily stresses. We do not have a freezer full of Big Macs and chips, because they taste like sh!t when you thaw them out.Yes, some of the land we hunt is near a residential area, and is literally our own back yard. We live about 500 yards into an area that is zoned agricultural,and our neighbors in both zones appreciate our help in controling damages caused by local fauna. At the same time, everybody on the road I live on (myself included) love to watch the nature shows in our own back yard.
We grow our own vegetables and fruits, and freeze our fish and wild game for later enjoyment. We respect our natural resources, and are thankful to be able to use them to feed ourselves and others who are less fortunate than we are. Yes , we donate our extra meat to those in need. To us, hunting is about time spent with each other in the woods and fields, and the good times have with each other, not power, getting animals out of our way, or killing for fun. I resect your opinion, and am shamed that your exposure to the sport was such that you are left with that impression of all hunters. I can assure you that the people I hunt with are not hunting for the reasons listed in your post. Please do those of us who choose to hunt a favor by not judgeing all of us by the actions of a few a-holes that do it for all the wrong reasons.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 12-11-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #16

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

I will say, the OP and the pic leave me envious. We have tons of wildlife around here, but the destructive kind. I'd be happy if some Turkeys or whitetail would groom my lawn. I understand culling, but I would love to see whitetail in numbers as I did as a kid upstate NY. You could sit on the porch about sunrise and 5, 10, 20 would walk by every morning. They really have a thing for clover. Instead of putting the beet greens, carrot greens on the compost pile I would dump them at the edge of the woods. BTW, Beet greens are VG eat'in.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.