Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Varmints in the "burbs" (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/varmints-burbs-52291/)

1982flh80 11-23-2011 02:38 PM

Varmints in the "burbs"

1 Attachment(s)
This is getting just plain ole nuts. I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, the south hills not far from the city, maybe 6 miles by the way a crow flies. See bunches of whitetail deer, herds of 'em. Rabbits, chipmunks, turkeys etc... A hunters dream except that you can't hunt the woods behind my home. The other day while dutifully washing the dishes I look out my kitchen window and see not the usual 5 or 6 deer in my yard but lo and behold... A red fox! Holy crap! Almost grabbed my .22 Romanian training rifle. (My baby mauser) But I thought better of it. This wildlife issue is getting nuts. Whats next, coyote's? Folks in this area own little "doggies" and "kitties". Young children also reside here with their families. Considering the abundance of wildlife in this area ( and it's on the increase) Maybe the borough should consider a limited hunt based on a lottery in selected safe areas to cull the herd. Would love to "prang" a buck from my bathroom window while sitting on the throne. Now that would be a hunting story.

ACRhino 11-23-2011 02:58 PM

That's not a fox lol.

There is a reason you can't fire a weapon out of your window in an urban area withon city limits ... think about it.

winds-of-change 11-24-2011 06:44 AM

I'm sure there are coyotes all around you. You just aren't seeing them. Though my sister contends where you see foxes you won't see coyotes since they compete for the same food. She may be right, I don't know.

willfully armed 11-24-2011 06:58 AM

So you should be allowed to kill the animals for invading your suburban Utopia?

Why didn't they get to thin us while man invaded the natural habitat of the indigenous wildlife?

Metropolitan culling should only be practiced when populations reach the limit that causes risk of disease or extreme property damage. Chewed up marigolds and. 45 caliber deer turds don't count.

rjd3282 11-24-2011 07:06 AM

You do realize that man is indigenous to the same habitat. If a deer invades a wolf's habitat the deer loses. Top of food chain and all that.

Why does everybody think man is not part of nature? :confused:

willfully armed 11-24-2011 07:15 AM

Come now Bill Nye, man may be indigenous, but animals don't build cities in our grazing land.

We are encroaching upon them.

And don't for a second think I'm some vegan liberal. I love shooting fuzzy animals and making their carcasses into freezer meat.

1982flh80 11-24-2011 02:47 PM

Don't mind deer poo

1 Attachment(s)
I live in an established community that is over 100 yrs old. My home was new in 1940. Only started seeing deer in this area 11 yrs ago and now the population is incredible. The news media is really making hay with this issue. Topics on the subject range from car/deer incursions (deer usually loses) to lyme disease both of which are costly. My neighbors 6 yr old kid was bitten by a deer tick last fall. His daughters were just playing in the back yard. Seriously, I wouldn't shoot from my bathroom window at anything but, it's funny to think about it. Deer poo in my yard doesn't concern me, turkey crap either.

winds-of-change 11-24-2011 02:54 PM

I like to see 'nature' wander through my backyard.

rjd3282 11-24-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 634754)
Come now Bill Nye, man may be indigenous, but animals don't build cities in our grazing land.

We are encroaching upon them.

And don't for a second think I'm some vegan liberal. I love shooting fuzzy animals and making their carcasses into freezer meat.

Really, what about prairie dog towns in the middle of our grazing land? Wait, let me guess it's the prairie dog's grazing land and we shouldn't have our damn cattle there.

willfully armed 11-24-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282 (Post 634893)
Really, what about prairie dog towns in the middle of our grazing land? Wait, let me guess it's the prairie dog's grazing land and we shouldn't have our damn cattle there.

Grasping at straws there homie...

We weren't at all discussing wildlife in rural settings. We were discussing displaced fauna in urban and suburban locations.

You just post the location of this prairie dog farm, and ill enjoy turning them into pink mist.