Upcoming Trip - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Upcoming Trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Oh, are they endangered? The roos are like rats though, right?
No the emu is definitely not endangered, they ARE officially 'protected' though. For what reason I'm not sure because like the kangaroos, after a really good winter season down here they're in plague proportions as well!

I know that some might see my actions as unethical or whatever but to understand you really have to see the kind of damage these pests do. The emus run rampant through the paddocks and knock down the wheat in 3 foot wide strings that can be miles long. Where mobs of roos bed down during the day they crush the crop and when the males fight they can clear areas the size of half a football pitch. Pigs root up the table drains and paddocks looking for food and for whatever reason, nothing seems to grow there for years to come. Goats do the majority of the eating of the crops, epecially early in the season when the seedlings are just emerging.

I'm sorry about the way I explained it before, I made it sound like we're just a bunch of rednecks who are going to just blast anything that moves. It's definitely not like that however to be clear, this is more of a culling trip than a hunt. We conduct ourselves with the utmost professionalism and respect for the game we are harvesting. All game is killed humanely and quickly, as is every hunter's responsibility. We are performing a favour for the landowner and only take game that he has told us we can shoot on his property.

There is no way in the world that I would shoot an endangered animal. They are protected for a reason and deservedly so. The only reason the emu is protected however is because it is on our Coat of Arms, and when they cost a fellow land that much money I can make an exception, even to my own rule.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #12

I relish the thought of shooting prairie dogs the size of Roos.....sounds like that is case down under. Shootem up and have a great time.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556plinker View Post
I relish the thought of shooting prairie dogs the size of Roos.....sounds like that is case down under. Shootem up and have a great time.
Almost, they do have the annoying and unfortunate habit of pi$$ing off after a couple of shots though! Thanks and I will

Old 10-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Awesome news, Aus! I know you've been quietly dying inside not being able to shoot any of your babies for so long. Stoked for ya

Hell of a trek, but I guess that comes with the territory, so to speak heh. In fact, I just got an invite at very short notice to go up to my cousin's property this weekend, so I might well be able to give hunting a go, first time.

And you MUST get pics for us, yeah? Well all the 'publicly viewable' ones anyway

So happy for you mate

[btw, you should do a 'pig-count' so we know how many of those lil bastards you manage to get. Best of luck, you're performing a valuable public service!]

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Last edited by zhuk; 10-27-2010 at 06:00 AM.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:01 AM   #15

Default Update...

Well the trip that was planned to occur next week has had to be put back, recent rain in the area has forced harvesting to run longer than expected. There are 25 harvesters running on the one property at the moment, and we decided it would be safer and more productive for everyone involved for the culling trip to be postponed to early December. Usually harvesting the entire property takes about four weeks, however the wheat can only be harvested when it is completely dry, otherwise it sweats and spoils.

I'm a bit disappointed, however safety is our number one priority and it would have been stupid for us to travel all the way out there and go shooting while that many harvesters are running around the clock. So, everyone will just have to put up with my nervous anticipation for a little bit longer!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:05 AM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Bummer, Mate! But maybe next month will be better?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-11-2010, 03:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Bummer, Mate! But maybe next month will be better?
I hope so, the game will certainly be easier to find because temperatures will easily reach over 40*C (100*F) through the day.. I dare say that the trip will mainly consist of early morning/late evening hunts and spotlighting!!

Old 11-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #18

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Always look on the bright side..... But 100f is getting pretty warm.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear that mate! I know how much you were aching to go

Although you have to be happy for the boss I suppose huh...just hope they don't get those locusts they keep threatening will hit central NSW

Don't imagine the temps would get under 35* at any time up there in Dec, would they? Early am/night would probably be the most productive time anyway...got my fingers crossed for you

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Sorry to hear that mate! I know how much you were aching to go

Although you have to be happy for the boss I suppose huh...just hope they don't get those locusts they keep threatening will hit central NSW

Don't imagine the temps would get under 35* at any time up there in Dec, would they? Early am/night would probably be the most productive time anyway...got my fingers crossed for you
I'll admit I'm a bit cut up about it for now but it's ok, I'll get out there eventually lol.

Old mate who owns the place reckons that he can have one good year out of thirteen and that will cover his losses for the other twelve.. Thing is, this'll be the fourth 'good year' out of the last five

Rich doesn't even begin to cover it!!