Undertaking an Ultimate Hunting Blind build! - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Undertaking an Ultimate Hunting Blind build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
That should be one Helluva hunting platform,, I remember when I lived in Odessa, those boys in Tejas like to be comfortable in the stand,, a lot better than sitting in a fence row in Ohio, freezing my butt off in late November, early December but they have some heavy deer here in OH10. Good luck and again, a very nice set up.
Thanks,I just couldn't believe the prices that those custom blind companies charge for these things. That's the only reason I decided to build one,I just wanted to show the dealer down the road that I could build a better/nicer one than they sell for 1/4 of the price.
North American Hunting Club

Old 07-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #32

No more bright Orange trailer!!!!

Yesterday,after I got back from my folk's house,I mixed up a quart of paint (Flat Black epoxy) and sprayed a coat on the trailer. I put another coat on about an hour ago when I got off work. I'll probably put two more coats on it,and be done.
After I removed the wheels,I noticed that the tires are dry rotted and split bad on the inside sidewall. They have to get replaced,and I'll repack the wheel bearings while I have the wheels off also.
If I can get all of the painting done,and repack the wheel bearings after work the next couple days,then I'll install the floor on Tuesday when I'm off work again.

Undertaking an Ultimate Hunting Blind build! - Hunting Forum

Undertaking an Ultimate Hunting Blind build! - Hunting Forum
People Like This 
Old 07-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Hillbilly that blind is looking awesome so far! very impressive.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #34

Thanks man,It's still a long ways from being finished,but if I stay at it,it'll be done well before hunting season starts.
Now,if I can just get the outer skin on it without screwing up too much of that high $$ camouflage sheet metal I will be really happy. That's going to be the hard part!

My To-Do list-
1-Finish painting frame
2-Repack wheel bearings
3-Replace tires
4-Install the floor
5-Install the outer skin/roof,trim out the corners/window openings,install a roof cap
6-Insulate the walls/roof/floor
7-Install carpet on the floor
8-Install the door
9-Cut/Paint/Install interior wall/roof panels
10-Cut/Stain/Install shooting shelf inside
11-Install windows
12-Decide/build outside window covers/rain guards over windows
13-Build/weld some removable stairs to get into the thing

Damn,I still have a lot of work to do on this thing!
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #35

Liked 649 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Yes the blind's looking great,you've been progressing right along!

I have one question, I can't remember how tall of a lift you were planning? And just wondering if you are widening the footprint of your down riggers?
I am no engineer and have no idea how much weight or lift you will have,I was just wondering if your down riggers are wide enough for the load?

Again looks like you're doing a super job on a really cool project!

Old 07-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
Yes the blind's looking great,you've been progressing right along!

I have one question, I can't remember how tall of a lift you were planning? And just wondering if you are widening the footprint of your down riggers?
I am no engineer and have no idea how much weight or lift you will have,I was just wondering if your down riggers are wide enough for the load?

Again looks like you're doing a super job on a really cool project!
The blind is as tall as you see it-10' 8",it won't go up/down-it sets about 4 ft off the ground to the floor of the blind. The outriggers/jacks that are on it work great,this thing doesn't move at all,even without the tires,but I will use a tie down system when it is placed out in the field to lesson the chance of it getting blown over from high winds since the area I hunt is known for bad storms and tornado's.

My original plan was to build a blind with pneumatic cylinders to lift the blind up after transporting it to my hunting area,but I couldn't find any used cylinders to use,and new ones are very high $$$. When I can locate some cylinders,I'll build one that lifts up/down.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #37

Liked 649 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
The blind is as tall as you see it-10' 8",it won't go up/down-it sets about 4 ft off the ground to the floor of the blind. The outriggers/jacks that are on it work great,this thing doesn't move at all,even without the tires,but I will use a tie down system when it is placed out in the field to lesson the chance of it getting blown over from high winds since the area I hunt is known for bad storms and tornado's.

My original plan was to build a blind with pneumatic cylinders to lift the blind up after transporting it to my hunting area,but I couldn't find any used cylinders to use,and new ones are very high $$$. When I can locate some cylinders,I'll build one that lifts up/down.

Tx Thanks for the answer, I was thinking you were going with a pneumatic system to raise the blind in the field. I agree those out riggers look more than adequate for a fixed stand mounted on the trailer,looks great!!

Old 07-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #38
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

What's the rating on that axle? You might want to upgrade it with all of the steel you are putting into it. Looks nice. You might consider putting some sides on the lower portion that would essentially make it into a big locker. If you insulate it and add a hatch on top it would make a nice cooler!
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
What's the rating on that axle? You might want to upgrade it with all of the steel you are putting into it. Looks nice. You might consider putting some sides on the lower portion that would essentially make it into a big locker. If you insulate it and add a hatch on top it would make a nice cooler!
The axle is more than enough for the weight of the blind. The tubing that I added is only 14 ga. metal,so it doesn't weigh too much. When it's completed,the whole thing will weigh around 1000-1200 lbs at the most.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1592 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 1727

Why so high up on the trailer ?..................