Undertaking an Ultimate Hunting Blind build! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Undertaking an Ultimate Hunting Blind build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Hillbilly, that blind is going to be awesome! good job so far. staying tuned to find out how the finished blind looks.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #22

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Thanks
The metal is cold rolled. It's an odd size though-41 7/8" x 10'. The metal place I'm getting it from makes corrugated sheets,and I guess all of their flat sheets are the same size that they form the corrugated sheets from.
The good thing is,they have all the brakes/shears in house,and I think the guy is going to help me out with some of the sheet metal stuff.
I haven't messed with too much of that stuff,but I learn fast!
Thanks Tx I was wondering what type of steel the sheets were made of,I had not seen factory sheets camoed before? That's pretty cool painted and ready to go.

Looking forward to your build,looks like you're doing it right and doing a great job!

Old 05-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #23
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

I got to do some more to the blind today. I called a local company that builds glass windows for hunting blinds-http://www.deerviewwindows.com/,and ordered my windows. I'll be getting 6 of the 24"x12" tinted flip-up,and 2 of the 12"x12" tinted flip-up windows for it. They called me today,and said they would have them built tomorrow,but I can't get them until Monday.
I cut a bunch of tubing yesterday for the window frames,door frame,and several frame braces. So today,I went to work welding it all in place.

As you can tell in the last pic,it was getting ready to rain,so I stopped working on it there. I still have to cut the frame braces above the window frames,and then the roof braces,then I'll install the floor and start on the sheet metal. THB

Old 05-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-GMC-C7500-45-Bucket-Truck-/390600677425?pt=Commercial_Trucks&hash=item5af19d5 831

Ready to go.

economy model: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNORKEL-SL20-SCISSORLIFT-20-DECK-NO-RESERVE-Local-Pickup-Only-Will-Not-Ship-/140981885980?pt=US_Lifts&hash=item20d32cdc1c

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #25
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Orangello,That would take all the fun out of building one!

I did look into using a scissor lift,but the weight of them is a big negative. I was looking for some used 48" stroke pneumatic cylinders,and have the blind lift up off the trailer,but couldn't find them used,and new ones were several hundred each. If I can find some,that will be the next project.

I've got some ideas using a boat trailer,maybe I'll do one of those sometime.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 AM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Orangello,That would take all the fun out of building one!

I did look into using a scissor lift,but the weight of them is a big negative. I was looking for some used 48" stroke pneumatic cylinders,and have the blind lift up off the trailer,but couldn't find them used,and new ones were several hundred each. If I can find some,that will be the next project.

I've got some ideas using a boat trailer,maybe I'll do one of those sometime.
not just the weight is a factor, but those types of lifts are made for hard surfaces. they would not work on unlevel ground and dirt type sufaces.

not a bad price on that lift, but you have to factor in new batteries which will cost about $400-600 for new ones.

now if you want one to go across unlevel ground and dirt type surfaces, here ya go! i have a couple of these at work. they are pretty cool and i have thought about how great they would be to make into a blind!

http://genielift.com/en/products/new-equipment/boom-lifts/telescopic-booms/s40-s45/index.htm

Last edited by Axxe55; 05-30-2013 at 03:15 AM.
orangello Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Just thinking I would LOVE to drop an anvil off one of those onto a bear's head.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #28
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Damn,It's getting hot!
I haven't been able to work on the blind in a few weeks,but I was off Thursday/Friday so I got up early and tried to get as much done as I could before it got too hot outside to work on it. 5 days a week out in the oilfield is enough heat for my old azz!

I did manage to get all of the window framing done,as well as the top wall braces. I was going to just have a flat roof since this thing is tall,but finally decided to do a gable roof,and got the center roof support and rear end roof supports done.

The weather suppose to be cooler this week (In the 90's),and hopefully I'll be able to get the rest of the tubing cut for the roof section. I'm going to try and get everything welded together on Wednesday,and then wet sand the trailer and get rid of the orange paint. Then I'll get the floor in it and start putting the outer skin on it.
I still have a lot of work to do on this thing,but it will be pretty nice when I finish it.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #29
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I finally got the frame completed today. Damn,that was a lot of work for a deer blind,but I'm having fun doing it.
Tomorrow,I am going to pressure wash the trailer,and try to get it wet sanded before I drive up to my folk's house for lunch. I'm going to try and get home early enough to put the first coat of paint on the trailer,and finish it after work next week. Then I will put the floor in it,and get busy putting a skin on the outside of it.

Front view-

Side view-

Rear view-

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 07-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 458 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 151

That should be one Helluva hunting platform,, I remember when I lived in Odessa, those boys in Tejas like to be comfortable in the stand,, a lot better than sitting in a fence row in Ohio, freezing my butt off in late November, early December but they have some heavy deer here in OH10. Good luck and again, a very nice set up.