Undertaking an Ultimate Hunting Blind build!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Undertaking an Ultimate Hunting Blind build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Default Undertaking an Ultimate Hunting Blind build!

Over the years,I've built plenty of ground and tower style hunting blinds. It's the most efficient way to hunt in the areas of Texas where I hunt.
I've always built them out of lumber,and they work fine for a few years,but always require a lot of maintenance.
There's a company in the next town over from where I live that makes some outrageous hunting blinds.These things are crazy nice,and also crazy expensive.
They make an Elevated Trailer Blind that I really like,but it is priced at (Don't fall out of your chair) $8250.00 for the 6ft x 8ft Insulated model.

http://ranchkingblinds.com/?portfolio=elevated-trailer-blind

I looked at one of these blinds a couple times,and started turning the wheels in the ole brain bucket,and decided I can build one myself using the same materials that they are for around $2000-2500.
Tomorrow,I'm going to pick up a trailer that I found for $350. It already has 4 outrigger jacks on it,plus the tongue removes for security aspects.
I'll build the frame out of square tubing,cover it with 20/22 ga flat sheet metal,use 3/4" Marine grade plywood for the floor,insulate the walls/roof/under the floor.
I've found a local company that sells tinted glass flip up/down windows,and also makes the same type of door that's on the Ranch King blind,and they are priced cheaper than I thought they would be.

This should be the last hunting blind that I'll ever need to build,plus I can move it around with my 4 wheeler if I need to.
I'll post pics of the build as I go.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #2

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

That looks awesome! The problem I have with nice comfortable blinds is I tend to fall asleep. Wouldn't do me too well in the Kentucky woods either lol.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7151 Times on 3915 Posts
Likes Given: 14480

Can you actually drag that trailer through the woods? I sure couldn't do it here. Have you seen those mirror blinds?

image-824398221.jpg  

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 05-11-2013 at 02:55 AM.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Can you actually drag that trailer through the woods? I sure couldn't do it here.
I can get anyplace that I need to. I always have a Chainsaw,and an Axe handy.
Most of the ranch that I hunt on is hay/wheat/oat fields,with scattered patches of wooded areas. The deer always forage in the fields,and bed in the wood's.
I use portable ground blinds when I need to get in tighter spaces,you just have to look out for the rattler's using it for a hiding spot when you're not in it. I've been surprised a couple times in the early morning getting in them.
It can get pretty exciting when you're half asleep and not expecting it!
Old 05-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I went and picked up the trailer today. It's going to work out perfectly!
After measuring the frame,I decided to go with a 6' wide X 7' long blind. A 6x8 would work,but would hang over the front of the frame about 1 1/2 ft,and I'm going to cut about 2' off the length of the tongue of the trailer so it will fit on my 16' trailer connected to my 4 wheeler.
I really like that the trailer tongue disconnects from the frame,so theft will be a hard thing to happen when it's left out at the hunting lease all season.Just pull a hitch pin,and remove the entire trailer tongue.

The uprights that are on the trailer will save me some time/money.I'll be able to use them for supports for the bottom of the blind base after they are cut to length,and I weld two more on the front of the frame. The blind will be the same width as the outside of the fenders,and 2 1/2 ft above the floor of the trailer.

There are swing down jacks mounted on each side of the front of the trailer.They both need to be greased,but they do work fine.

Continued-

Old 05-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The rear has adjustable pinned stabilizers on each side,I'll probably weld another pair of swing jacks on the rear of the trailer. They are easier to use and level the trailer on uneven ground.

There's also a nice sized storage/tool box mounted in the center of the trailer. That should come in pretty handy!

I can't wait to get this project started/finished.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The build started today.
I picked up all the tubing that I'll need. I'm using 2x2 for the base and trailer support structure,and 1 1/2x1 1/2 on the rest of the frame.
After unloading all of the tubing,I went ahead and cut some of the 2x2,and welded the base together. It will be 6' wide by 7' long.

I also got lucky and found some prefinished sheet metal for the outer skin of the blind. It has a camo finish!
The guy at the steel supply is going to help me with some of the sheet metal bending. That's something that I have little knowledge about,plus he has all the big metal brakes and shears on site.
Here's a small sample of the camo pattern on the metal-

Tomorrow,I'll get started on getting the trailer setup for the base. More cutting,grinding,and welding.
Once I get the base mounted on the trailer,everything else should be pretty easy.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #8
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That looks like a different trailer.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
That looks like a different trailer.
It is,But the blind will be built on the other one.
I was just using my bigger trailer for a welding table.It works really good for that!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Oh. I see. I like the camouflage sheet metal. What a find!