Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Ultimate Varmint rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Ultimate Varmint rifle?

Need suggestions on the ultimate varmint rifle (&caliber)/scope combo.

Firearms enthusiasts have long searched for a way to purchase guns and gun accessories affordably. Many people are now discovering that a gun auction, often referred to as penny gun auctions can multiply their purchasing power safely, quickly and affordably. Whether you’re in the market for a Tauras Judge, Ruger LCP, scope or other firearms accessories and tactical equipment you can now obtain these items from firearms penny auctions. The firearms auction arena is allowing the middleclass, blue collared man to purchase firearms and firearms add-ons at a fraction of the retail cost.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by c3shooter; 07-23-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

For a bolt gun, the Mossberg MVP, I know very little about glass though. I would like an M1A as a varmint gun, but some may consider that to be overkill.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 06-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1115 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirearmsAuction_org View Post
Need suggestions on the ultimate varmit rifle (&caliber)/scope combo.
It would help if you would tell us about the types of varmints you want to hunt,and the ranges that you expect to be shooting.
I prefer to use heavy barreled rifles for the majority of my hunting needs,varmint or bigger game.The extra weight has never bothered me,and I've always shot better with them over a sporter or lite weight rifle.

Most varmint calibers are in the .224/.243/and .257 caliber bullets,and they can have a very effective range of over 500 yards with excellent shooter's.
.264/.277/.284/and .308 caliber bullets can also be used,but they have more recoil and are a whole lot more expensive to use in a varmint hunting role.

I love to use the 223 Remington cartridge for most of my varmint hunting chores.Other's like the 22-250,but I like being able to shoot bullets heavier than the 55gr bullets,which is the main diet of most 22-250's since most have a 1-12 twist barrel on them.
If I want to shoot a really fast bullet,I can load 75gr bullets in my 25/06 and shoot faster than the 22-250,with even more range.

Great optics is a must have in my book,and most of my rifles wear glass that cost more than the rifles did.
I like to use scopes like the Weaver Classic Extreme and Super Slam,Zeiss Conquest,Sightron SIII,and Swarovski.For shooting small animals at long ranges,you need glass that's clear/bright/and tracks very good,and almost all cheaper made scopes won't do it for me.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #4

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use a savage axis 223 with an old leupold 6-24x44. Typically use hornady vmax 55gr but have been playing around with different weights lately. 223 is a great round for saving pelts. Alot of people bash my savage, but its a true shooter, and a tack driver.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #5

Ar-15 204 ruger with a quick detach red dot and a quick detach red dot flip to side magnifier and a adjustable 6 position stock. Chrome bolt carrier, chrome moly bull barrel 20", w/ a low pro gas block and threaded for a standard a2 flash suppressor or a sound suppressor. Full free float 4 rail aluminum handgaurd.

you arent ready to live until your ready to die

Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #6

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

For a bolt action I would go with some variation of a Remington 700 or the Savage bolt guns, not trying to start an argument I am just giving my opinion based on my experiences that isn't to say the Winchesters and Rugers and whatever else aren't good choices as well, for 22 cal I like the 223 and 22-250, 22-250 being a little hotter. As far as scopes go I don't really have a preference, I stay away from any of the bargain stuff but most of the mid range scopes I have used have worked just fine, I can't justify selling a kidney to buy a scope. If you are wanting more of a bigger varmint gun for varmint as well as deer and such you would do well to consider a 243 or a 25-06

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #7

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

Olympic Arms .223 AR15 type flat top rifle. I built this rifle using an Olympic Arms flat top receiver, fitted with an Olympic Arms ultra-match 24 inch bull barrel. It is fitted with a free floating round handguard, a JP match trigger and topped with a 4-12 x 50mm mil-dot Tasco scope.. I have used it on groundhogs out to 300 yards using Military green tip M855 ammo

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/AR15MATCH.jpg

Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirearmsAuction_org View Post
Need suggestions on the ultimate varmit rifle (&caliber)/scope combo.
Intent on use? Size of "varmint" in question? Price range for your project? Off the shelf or custom build?

.221 Fireball is a great little round for going ground hogging in the Montana area. Good range, effective, light recoil so you can shoot it all day and the barrel life is great because of such a low powder content in the cartridge. We have turned out quite a few of them on all types of actions.

I have several Leupold scopes and think they are great for the price, plus their warranty is excellent.

Schmidt & Bender has some of the best glass I have ever seen and their light gathering properties are amazing, but MAN are they pricey.

JD

Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #9

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I like 223,243,22-250 even 22 LR for varmint size game from prairie dogs to coyotes. I like Savage, Marlin, Ruger, Rem, Win all have good rifles. I like light easy carry in hills and flats. I prefer scopes that cost $175 or more in Nikon, Leupold, Redfield, and Simmons.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Got "right many" heavy brrl'd varmint/target guns.But for the last several years they pretty much stay in safe,mainly due to the carry weight.Nowaday's have been using an old Savage 110,22-250....its wearing one of our stocks,and has a straight 6X scope(old worldclass tasco) on it.

Don't even use Harris's(bi-pod)anymore.Much prefer shooting sticks.....we make them from old Alum. arrows.Surgical tube slid over about 4 or so inches.Then take sinew to wrap the joint,complete with a set of fieldtips.

'Bout the longest shots around here are 400 yds......but that represents maybe 5%.By far,most shots are in the 75-150 yds.And is split on shot window.Would say its about 50-50 on it being a quick shot vs say a relaxed animal.

Coyotes,Fox,Bobcats,G-hogs(here).....accuracy isn't that hard to achieve.The above gun is sub-MOA,but rarely bother shooting it off the heavy bags.It isn't much fun.The stock is built as a walking varmint.It dosen't behave very well on the bench.Its a crackerjack offhand rifle though.