Turkey Hunting

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Turkey Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Turkey Hunting

Hey, Ill be going turkey hunting for the first time in the beginning of may. I am very inexperienced. Any tips for the spring season on tactics/gear/anything else?

So far, for the hunt, I have

rem 870 w/ full choke.
primos wetbox
license/tags

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2011, 04:21 AM   #2

Hm its been ages since I've gone turkey hunting...but lets see here...

1. If a turkey becomes angry and starts to run towards you, you'd better run faster than the turkey.
  2. If you can see your bullet shining in the chamber, you're probably holding the rifle the wrong way.
  3. In reality, you only get one shot per turkey, so make it count.
  4. You VS Turkey in one-on-one combat because you've ran out of ammo: Safe bet the turkey will win.

Those are the important ones, I should think.

"I CAN'T SEE MY BALD HEAD IN THIS BULK HEAD, SAILOR! WHY IN THE HELL NOT? AM I NOT PRETTY ENOUGH FOR YOU TO SHINE IT SO I CAN SEE MY BALD HEAD?" ~Lt. Vincent Folvs~

"Let the Marines storm the bunker and get shot at. We'll just blow their asses up from 50 miles out to sea." ~Admiral Josh Chinres~

"If you hit your head on my ship, you'd better not get your blood on my deck, Sailor." ~Ensign Vincent Van Burq~

Old 04-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
Hey, Ill be going turkey hunting for the first time in the beginning of may. I am very inexperienced. Any tips for the spring season on tactics/gear/anything else?

So far, for the hunt, I have

rem 870 w/ full choke.
primos wetbox
license/tags
Good start. Turkeys have tremendous eyesight and are easily spooked so blending in and covering is important. Do you have decoys? I use at least one hen decoy. A good padded seat helps as sitting on the ground can get uncomfortable from time to time.

Practice your calling and pattern your loads.

Most of all have fun and don't give up. Turkey hunting is my favorite.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Default Turkey Hunting

1) Pattern your gun and find a brand and load that performs, don't believe the hype over long range shells let the bird get within 35 yards. I shoot the Federal Mag Shok #4's.

2) Find a call you like and practice, I prefer slate calls. Box calls are okay too, especially as a locator. Push pins are good for close in work requiring little movement. I have not developed any skill with mouth calls.

3) Scout the area you plan to hunt, turkeys are creatures of habit. Where you see them once, they will be back.

4) Gobblers like to show off to the ladies, so they will frequent open areas to strut.

5) Resist over calling and be patient. If a gobbler answers you and he is not "henned up" he will find you. Very few people can call a gobbler away from his hens. But around mid-morning the hens will go to nest and the gobbler(s) may come looking for you then.

6) Always keep an eye on your back, I have had many gobblers sneak in the back silently, while I was working another bird.

7) A pop up blind with a comfortable chair is a good way to sit longer. Sitting on the ground gets old in a hurry. If possible set the blind up a couple of days in advance so the birds adjust to it being there. Difficult to do on public land. I bake bourbon chocalate pecan pies and take them to the farmers that let me hunt, I get re-invited to hunt often. Don't be afraid to ask for permission to hunt, farmers have less friends that turkey hunt compared to deer hunters.

By no means is this all of what it takes to turkey hunt, but its a start.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The eyesight part is very true,one time I stepped out on a power line and spooked a flock of turkeys 500 yards or so away,I could barely see them. Keep all movement to a bare minimum when trying to bring one to you. Calling skill doesn't seem to mater as much as over calling them,+1 on a comfortable seat,it helps keep you from squirming around as much. Practice patterning your gun with different shells to see which shoot best in your gun,this can get old if you are using 3 and a half inch shells,even 3 inchers get pretty old after more than a few shots,2 and three quarters work fine for me without the brutal recoil. good luck

Old 04-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

got a lot of wild turkey in my area of wisconsin. every now and then driving back roads there will be several in the road. honking the horn doesnt seem to phase em. at least once i had to get out and chase them out of the road...

maybe wisconsin turkeys are just extra stupid.

there is a beaver on highway 36 halfway to work that likes to sit at the edge of the road and stare at cars.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-04-2011, 02:51 AM   #7

Thank you all so much for your replies. Some of it I know, but learning through repetition is good. One question i have is where would be a good location to set a blind up?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Turkey Hunting

Turkeys, deer, squirrels, etc. all seem to get really stupid on or within 50 feet of public roads. I see bucks in my yard, inside the city limits, constantly in the summer, fall and winter, but do I see them in the woods come deer season? In three years of WI deer hunting only one 4 point.

Just like deer hunting, to shoot a legal turkey is not that hard. But to call in the boss bird, the one with the 11+ beard and 1.75+ spurs, now that is a bit of a challenge.

Plus, turkey is another good reason to hit the woods with a firearm. What's not to enjoy.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
Thank you all so much for your replies. Some of it I know, but learning through repetition is good. One question i have is where would be a good location to set a blind up?

If hunting public and in timber, set up within range of logging roads, these are natural travel corridors and gobblers may use them to strut.

If you have access to farm land, set up a few feet off the field inside a tree line, as birds will travel/feed along the edges frequently. Or if there is some other "structure" to blend in with, e.g. hay bales, brush piles, etc.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #10

I am glad Lupo asked about turkey hunting.

Spare you the story but I am new to something always wanted to do, HUNTING.

Did it once a year ago (pheasant). Despite my preparations, plenty of trap shooting did not bag a bird. The field is a lot different than the range also did not take full advantage of the opportunity.

Anyway, spring turkey season here begins April 13 thru the end of May.

In reading the replies to Lupo, seems to me a lot of it is of local experience, with the nature of their local turkey.

Out here in north central Kansas, these birds seem pretty stupid, but then I only know that from honking at them to get out off the road.

Gatoragn suggested some really great advice, far as I can tell but you know what I am just going out and hunt.

With some experience I can incorporate the advice offered here by all who offered. It all will be kept in mind.

With all that said, I will give a hunting report and hopefully eat my first hunted animal before I turn 60 later this month.

"Old age and treachery will always defeat youth and skill." Old English Proverb

Last edited by HAVEGUN; 04-04-2011 at 09:49 PM.