Turkey hunting 101? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Turkey hunting 101?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

I have consistently killed turkeys on public land here in southern Ohio for the last ten years plus I do a lot of guiding and calling for friends and family the number one tip I can give you is always try to.call the turkey up hill and set up so.that as soon as he peaks over the hill he is in range....what other questions can I help.you out with

Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06
I have consistently killed turkeys on public land here in southern Ohio for the last ten years plus I do a lot of guiding and calling for friends and family the number one tip I can give you is always try to.call the turkey up hill and set up so.that as soon as he peaks over the hill he is in range....what other questions can I help.you out with
What calls are most effective in to spring, how aggressively to call in spring, whats a good turkey load/choke.. the basics lol

Old 10-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #13

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

This might sound stupid but I see a lot of hunters do it. Set up in turkey's spring range. So many people see a lot of turkeys when they are deer hunting. Then go back to the turkeys fall range and hunt. I do most of my spring scouting from my truck. On cloudy days turkeys will come out into the fields. If they are in a field I have permission to hunt I just set up near the area where I last saw them.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisko09

What calls are most effective in to spring, how aggressively to call in spring, whats a good turkey load/choke.. the basics lol
Don't call anymore than you have to now don't get me wrong there have been a few turkeys that I have really had to tear a call up to get em in but most of the time you need to.call some get their attention then shut up and play a soft call every now and then just to keep his attention and it will drive an ol tom nuts and he will come running in......do you have a gun.yet if not the best cheaper gun for turkeys is a winchester 1300, I have had a lot of different turkey guns I've had remingtons, mossbergs, winchesters, benellis, stoegers, ithicas, brownings and I always end up coming back to a 1300 that's what I have now this makes the 4th one I have had the only guns I've had rival it is a benelli Nova and a STOEGER m3500 but both of those guns were shooting a 3 1/2" shell and the 1300 only shoots a 3" and all 3 guns were pretty close and the 3" shells are about 5-7 dollars cheaper for a box of shells compared to the 3 1/2".....with shells all I shoot are the federal mag shok copper plated lead turkey loads with the flight control wads in #4 or #5 shot you don't need to.go.blow money on that expensive hevi shot.....as far as chokes you need to find a choke with a constriction somewhere between .060-.080 of your original bore size for example in the benelli I shot a .660 choke tube and the bore size is .727 and my 1300 bore size is .732 and I shoot a .665 choke...as far as choke brands its really all in how much you wanna spend a good cheap choke is the h.s strut undertaker, a good medium range choke is the primos jelly head then you get up into.your high end chokes which all.of them are good I really like the kicks gobblin thunder.....the first thing you need to do with you turkey gun is to put your turkey choke in.it and shoot a low powered cheap.shell at about 15 yards and make sure your pattern is centered if it ain't you need to.get some adjustable rifled sights or some sort of red dot or a scope....I hope this helps and whatever else you wanna know just ask away....sorry its sloppy and it don't have the right punctuation I done all of this on my phone lol

Last edited by akers06; 10-09-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisko09 View Post
Really, you shouldn't even need a call if you are in the right place. We hunt as teams, one caller, one shooter. Quite often one of us takes a bird before any calling is done. Both of us have taken a bird in 15 minutes before. I was calling so I let my buddy go in first and get set up. I flushed the birds that flew right to him. He shot a tom. His shot turned the birds around. They ran right to me. I got a jake because I really couldn't pick a bird while they were running.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow

Really, you shouldn't even need a call if you are in the right place. We hunt as teams, one caller, one shooter. Quite often one of us takes a bird before any calling is done. Both of us have taken a bird in 15 minutes before. I was calling so I let my buddy go in first and get set up. I flushed the birds that flew right to him. He shot a tom. His shot turned the birds around. They ran right to me. I got a jake because I really couldn't pick a bird while they were running.
Are you talking about spring turkey hunting or fall

Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #17

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06

From the little bit of reading I've done that sounds like fall. I'm asking about spring..

Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
This was spring hunting. Turkeys are not as territorial as one is led to believe. Hens stay in a flock until they start setting on their eggs.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow

This was spring hunting. Turkeys are not as territorial as one is led to believe. Hens stay in a flock until they start setting on their eggs.
Idk where you are hunting at but you ain't going to hunt the like that where I hunt at

Old 10-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #20

Not many people enjoy the same hunting privileges as I do. Due to the years I have spent in the horse business I have many contacts with farmers that control thousands of acres. Given that I have access to so much land I can scout from a truck says a lot. I am not traveling to hunt only 200 acres, no matter how prime the 200 acres might be. Weather conditions could easily stop me from ever really hunting the area during my stay. I will travel to hunt 10,000 acres in numerous parcels. I know I will find a suitable area no matter what the conditions might be.