Turkey hunting 101?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Turkey hunting 101?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Turkey hunting 101?

So, I've decided, after much persuasion from a few co-workers, to start turkey hunting this spring. Problem is, I'll be completely clueless. I've never hunted a day of turkey season in my life.

I was hoping to get some "Sping Turkey 101"! The basics, tips, gear, when/where/how to set up, etc.

I could read 100 articles and still not get the in depth knowledge that a few seasoned vets can give me. (something I learned in the military :rollseyes: )

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #2

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

A shotgun is a good place to start .

Wish i could be more helpful. Just went for my first hunt last season so i am going to subscribe and learn along side you.

Just to give us a little help. Where are you hunting? Environment? Stand, ground, blind?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #3

Central IL.. idk where exactly yet, either at a buddies farm if he decides to go or some public land :rollseyes: (i hate hunting public land..)

The farm is about 75/25 (open/timbered) with a decent pond.

The public land is heavily timbered with a big lake.

I dont know what my means will be as far as blind or ground, was hoping to get that from this thread lol. Don't even know what a good turkey load would be.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #4

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

20ga or 12ga?

I use 3in with #4 or 5 shot with a "flight control wad". Sounds silly but it actually works. Let me push out to 40 yard shots.
I use a remington 870 20ga 3in mag.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Here is a link for you

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/turkey-hunting-40714/

Old 09-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #6

Liked 795 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 50

If I could hunt only one thing it would be turkey hands down.

Best thing you can do is go to YouTube and spend a few days.

Personally, I'm fond of hitting the hillside right at sun down with a few owl hoots. The next morning, Set up about 75 to 150 yards from where you hear them gobble. The tree should be larger than your shoulder width. cuts out the view. A few yelps, one stupid crazy cackle, then cut the yelps to 4 to 5 minute intervals. If you get them in sight but too far out, purring is best. If another hen comes into play, copy her to a T. As soon as she does something, do the exact same thing as best you can. It'll piss her off. If she comes to you, so too will the Tom.
Fire away sir.
12 years and 32 beards hanging.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-25-2012, 02:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester
If I could hunt only one thing it would be turkey hands down.

Best thing you can do is go to YouTube and spend a few days.

Personally, I'm fond of hitting the hillside right at sun down with a few owl hoots. The next morning, Set up about 75 to 150 yards from where you hear them gobble. The tree should be larger than your shoulder width. cuts out the view. A few yelps, one stupid crazy cackle, then cut the yelps to 4 to 5 minute intervals. If you get them in sight but too far out, purring is best. If another hen comes into play, copy her to a T. As soon as she does something, do the exact same thing as best you can. It'll piss her off. If she comes to you, so too will the Tom.
Fire away sir.
12 years and 32 beards hanging.
.......+1.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #8

Liked 248 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Turkeys have excellent eye sight and hearing. Keep both of these in mind at all times. Learn to use a few different calls, ie. diaphram, box, slate just to name a few. Also a hoot owl call is a good locator before daylight. With a little practice it's not hard to do that one without a call. If you manage to call one in don't move to shoot unless he's got his head behind a tree. If you can't see his head he can't see you. Setup makes a big difference. Turkeys hardly ever fly over a fence, ecpet off the roost, or cross a stream or gulley to come to a call so keep barriers like this from coming in between you and him. Also don't be afriad to get aggresive and go after one that gobbling but won't come to you. If you move though rmember the first 2 rules. Keeping a hill between you and him helps or even get down and crawl through a low spot even a dry creek bed. Gotta be careful about stalking a turkey though and don't get shot by another hunter! Once you start this it's like an addiction too!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

In my experience with Rio Grande gobblers in Texas, the Spring season is ALL about timing. When the time is right you can rattle a paper bag and the toms will almost jump in your lap. It's brief, seems like maybe a week. But when they are hot, all you need do is listen and call. Get set up in some cover with a camo mask to hide your face, and call em in.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #10

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The first thing you need to do is determine are there enough turkeys to bother with hunting on the land you have permission to hunt. Scouting should be a year round job. Being in the right place at the right time will bag more turkeys than a class turkey caller

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/