Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Turkey hunting 101? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/turkey-hunting-101-a-73106/)

krisko09 09-25-2012 12:12 AM

Turkey hunting 101?

So, I've decided, after much persuasion from a few co-workers, to start turkey hunting this spring. Problem is, I'll be completely clueless. I've never hunted a day of turkey season in my life.

I was hoping to get some "Sping Turkey 101"! The basics, tips, gear, when/where/how to set up, etc.

I could read 100 articles and still not get the in depth knowledge that a few seasoned vets can give me. (something I learned in the military :rollseyes: )

ineverFTF 09-25-2012 12:15 AM

A shotgun is a good place to start :p.

Wish i could be more helpful. Just went for my first hunt last season so i am going to subscribe and learn along side you.

Just to give us a little help. Where are you hunting? Environment? Stand, ground, blind?

krisko09 09-25-2012 12:22 AM

Central IL.. idk where exactly yet, either at a buddies farm if he decides to go or some public land :rollseyes: (i hate hunting public land..)

The farm is about 75/25 (open/timbered) with a decent pond.

The public land is heavily timbered with a big lake.

I dont know what my means will be as far as blind or ground, was hoping to get that from this thread lol. Don't even know what a good turkey load would be.

ineverFTF 09-25-2012 12:25 AM

20ga or 12ga?

I use 3in with #4 or 5 shot with a "flight control wad". Sounds silly but it actually works. Let me push out to 40 yard shots.
I use a remington 870 20ga 3in mag.

Gatoragn 09-25-2012 12:43 AM

Here is a link for you

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/turkey-hunting-40714/

CourtJester 09-25-2012 01:02 AM

If I could hunt only one thing it would be turkey hands down.

Best thing you can do is go to YouTube and spend a few days.

Personally, I'm fond of hitting the hillside right at sun down with a few owl hoots. The next morning, Set up about 75 to 150 yards from where you hear them gobble. The tree should be larger than your shoulder width. cuts out the view. A few yelps, one stupid crazy cackle, then cut the yelps to 4 to 5 minute intervals. If you get them in sight but too far out, purring is best. If another hen comes into play, copy her to a T. As soon as she does something, do the exact same thing as best you can. It'll piss her off. If she comes to you, so too will the Tom.
Fire away sir.
12 years and 32 beards hanging.

krisko09 09-25-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CourtJester
If I could hunt only one thing it would be turkey hands down.

Best thing you can do is go to YouTube and spend a few days.

Personally, I'm fond of hitting the hillside right at sun down with a few owl hoots. The next morning, Set up about 75 to 150 yards from where you hear them gobble. The tree should be larger than your shoulder width. cuts out the view. A few yelps, one stupid crazy cackle, then cut the yelps to 4 to 5 minute intervals. If you get them in sight but too far out, purring is best. If another hen comes into play, copy her to a T. As soon as she does something, do the exact same thing as best you can. It'll piss her off. If she comes to you, so too will the Tom.
Fire away sir.
12 years and 32 beards hanging.

.......+1.

Jim1611 09-25-2012 02:29 AM

Turkeys have excellent eye sight and hearing. Keep both of these in mind at all times. Learn to use a few different calls, ie. diaphram, box, slate just to name a few. Also a hoot owl call is a good locator before daylight. With a little practice it's not hard to do that one without a call. If you manage to call one in don't move to shoot unless he's got his head behind a tree. If you can't see his head he can't see you. Setup makes a big difference. Turkeys hardly ever fly over a fence, ecpet off the roost, or cross a stream or gulley to come to a call so keep barriers like this from coming in between you and him. Also don't be afriad to get aggresive and go after one that gobbling but won't come to you. If you move though rmember the first 2 rules. Keeping a hill between you and him helps or even get down and crawl through a low spot even a dry creek bed. Gotta be careful about stalking a turkey though and don't get shot by another hunter! Once you start this it's like an addiction too!

cswann1 09-29-2012 10:31 PM

In my experience with Rio Grande gobblers in Texas, the Spring season is ALL about timing. When the time is right you can rattle a paper bag and the toms will almost jump in your lap. It's brief, seems like maybe a week. But when they are hot, all you need do is listen and call. Get set up in some cover with a camo mask to hide your face, and call em in.

Old_Crow 10-03-2012 12:09 AM

The first thing you need to do is determine are there enough turkeys to bother with hunting on the land you have permission to hunt. Scouting should be a year round job. Being in the right place at the right time will bag more turkeys than a class turkey caller