Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Trophy Bonded Tip Bullets (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/trophy-bonded-tip-bullets-61459/)

Model70 03-30-2012 06:40 PM

Trophy Bonded Tip Bullets

Anybody ever use them? I've always heard good things about the Bear Claws, and according to federal, these should open up better on smaller big game animals like deer and antelope.

I read an article in Petersen's Hunting a few years ago were the author took a Eland with 165 Trophy Bonded Tips with a Kimber 30-06, and I've wanted to try them ever sense.

I've always stuck with Nosler Partitions in the past, MOST of the time they perform really well, and I just like to keep an eye out for anything new that comes along.

Model70 03-31-2012 02:00 AM

----Bump----

Model70 04-02-2012 02:44 PM

---Bump---

hardluk1 04-02-2012 08:33 PM

Better on small game!! In one side and out the other more than likely with a 165gr bullet. 150 is all you need for 300 yards or less with regular bullets. I like something to expand and put a deer down right now, nosler ballisitc tips, old remington core locks and bronze points heck sp's in general. hornady sst searia game kings. I allways try to shot at the chest area , no fancy shooting. Just any ole basic expansive hunting bullet will work great on deer, even big deer. Nothing even close consedered a premimum bullet is needed. I have shoot 125 and 150gr NBT in a 308 and 139gr hornady sst in a 7mm mag for many years and don't loose sight of deer when shot. I have had to help trail deer shot buy a buddy over 25 years in planted pines fields or thick bottoms with partitions so many times i will not use them. Allways works. Just not right away. The trophy bonded bullets are more at home on elk, moose big black bear or extra large hogs. Not needed for deer but work there too.

alsaqr 04-02-2012 10:53 PM

In the past 45 years i've killed over 200 whitetail deer using 150 grain .30 caliber Sierra Game King and 150 grain Sierra SBT bullets. Most of those kills were bang flops. Many gun writers hype the so called "premium" bullets and make the claim those bullets make the difference on a marginal shot-baloney. A gut shot is still a gut shot.

Model70 04-02-2012 11:08 PM

That's all well and good, I know bullets, I know hunting. Want to know specifically about trophy bonded tip bullets.

30-30remchester 04-02-2012 11:22 PM

When I was guiding elk hunters I had one client that used them on 2 small bulls. They were just coming into vouge when I quit guiding. They preformed well. One was an in and out lung shot. The other was a tough quartering shot. The bullet broke the front leg and angled to last offside rib. Both were fired from a 7mm Rem Mag. That last shot is an excellent example of why premium bullets are made. I have seen this shot taken many times on mule deer and elk, and as a rule cup and core bullets fail to penatrate the shoulder and leave many wounded animals.

Model70 04-02-2012 11:32 PM

Thank you remchester. That was exactly what I was looking for.

hardluk1 04-03-2012 02:21 PM

Antelope and white tail deer have little in common with elk and large mule deer in what it takes to kill then effectivly. Yes a bullet designed for elk. Like the trophy bonded bear clawkill them but it is NOT designed for use on anty's. Kinda a like compairing black bear bullets and grizzly bullets . Wrong bullet for the job. 700lb + elk on the high end and a 100lb anty on the low end. More like a nosler accutip would be a way better choice for the average joe hunter. And a balistic tip, gameking or sst would be a better choice for a experienced hunter. Different bullets for different jobs. Even federals site tells you that. Thats the reason your not getting the feed back you want.

Model70 04-04-2012 04:11 AM

Wasn't trying to say I intended to use them on whitetail deer or antelope, I just read that somewhere when the tips first came out--kinda why they "improved" the bear claws or so they said.

I don't hunt goats much, just mulies and elk. Most the time what works for one works pretty well for the other. If a Barnes can work for a mulie, these should.

I just wanted to hear someone actually using them. One can read all the reviews online, but finding someone that actually used them on game was what I was looking for.