Tricks of the trade - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Tricks of the trade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Tinks 69 around here seems to make the deer run away like there is a wild fire coming . I dont use anything for cover scents .beginning of the season I wash all my stuff in Scent killer unscented clothes wash ,I hang my clothes out the night before and get them lots of fresh air . I shower in the morning before the hunt with scent killer soap/ shampoo when I get to the woods its a spray down with scent killer spray and I stay in the stand all day during rut, dark to dark . no rut I dont get down til 10:30-11 and I get back in the woods by 2 .
I have several nice bucks that I can attribute to this.

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-25-2012 at 05:22 PM.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 794 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

This was last year, rattling brought him in, all it takes is a fight & the Big Ones come check it out............

10-pointer-.jpg  

When all else fails.

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #13

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

So VA considers food plots baiting? That's the first state Ive heard that calls it like that.

Anyway,, you say youve been hunting that land for years. Along with what others have asked, how big is it?

I don't hunt horns, ya cant eat them. But if you've been hunting the same plot of land for years youve likely driven the dominant bucks from the plot. They reach maturity and become monsters because they are smart. Smart means staying away from where hunters are. If its a fairly small plot of land you might think of taking a year or two off from hunting it and hunt elsewhere.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 09-26-2012 at 05:28 AM.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #14

Liked 1094 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale
So VA considers food plots baiting? That's the first state Ive heard that calls it like that.

Anyway,, you say youve been hunting that land for years. Along with what others have asked, how big is it?

I don't hunt horns, ya cant eat them. But if you've been hunting the same plot of land for years youve likely driven the dominant bucks from the plot. They reach maturity and become monsters because they are smart. Smart means staying away from where hunters are. If its a fairly small plot of land you might think of taking a year or two off from hunting it and hunt elsewhere.
This is the sign people should put up in VA.

image-1375403153.jpg
Old 09-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #15

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

LOL. I like it.

Ive never used a feeder, but don't see a huge issue in using them. Feeders and corn piles are illegal here in Iowa, but food plots are legal. They say it is because it tempts deer to congregate in one area and can spread disease. I guess it makes sense. But the area my brother hunts in NC has never really had an issue with that and they use feeders all over the place. Mainly because there isn't much else for them to eat. Down there they pretty much have three choices. Acorns, grass and tobacco.

In addition to the corn fields, I set up food plots at different points on my property. As Im sure everyone knows, deer tend to change their diets as the season goes on. So I have different types of plants growing in different areas according to how their diets seem to change. For early season Ill have a lot of the rich greens in the dense cover, as the rut nears they can move upland and eat off the corn from the fields and grains in my upland plots. Late season I have oats and what not back in the thickets round where all my oaks are. It makes for a much better pre and post rut hunt.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”