Tricks of the trade
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Tricks of the trade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Tricks of the trade

me and my dad have hunted the same land for years and there really hasn't been much activity other than does and some rather small 4 and 6's. we were just curious some of your tips for bringing that "buck of a lifetime" would be. we know that they are there we have seen them (there's like 3 i think) but there is too many restrictions here in VA. for intense no baiting which cuts food plot's. corn, grain, apples ect. point is we are looking for ways to bring in that "buck of a lifetime" without violating any of the laws. thanks in advance for any advice.

"Time's are rough and time's are strange but times one thing that you cant change." - Rodney Adkins

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1250 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 525

Hunt during the rut, use lots of Tinks 69.

During the rut, stay on stand all day.

Both of the deer I have on the wall were taken mid-morning and were in rut, swollen neck, dark hocks, odiferous eminations, etc. During the rut is when big bucks are mostly likely to make a mistake.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #3

Liked 394 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Have you looked for wallows or where they rub trees with their antlers?
Another way is to find any game trails and look for deer prints especially if they lead into thick bush or into where they may bed down.

Once you've found these places I would suggest moving into a good position well before the sun gets up and waiting or find out from the surrounding farms if they've seen deer in their paddocks at any time and if they have see if you can set up on the edge of the paddocks and wait.

If your deer are anything like our deer in Australia you'll generally find that the does will wander out into the open to feed and the cunning Stag/Buck will be just inside the scrub line feeding and watching so it takes a lot of patience and time to dig a cunning old Stag/Buck out of his territory and the big Stags don't get that way from being stupid and always have the wind in your face,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #4

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I use both doe and buck scent in the areas close to my stand in shooting distance. .if you have some honey suckle, add some Scott's fertilizer to it or a patch of grass close to the stand. It will also draw the deer.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #5

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Any kind of fertilizer will make honeysuckles jump. What I have noticed about mature bucks is they stay in heavy cover during the day. Bucks try to find a spot were the can feed lightly, get water and find does in a very short distance. That is why mature bucks in this area are so elusive. There are thousands of places were they can find everything they need in 200 yards.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1400 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 2999

Those big ones get big for a reason. As all ready pointed out hunt the rut hard. But there's other things you can do.

An old man I once knew, who was also the best slayer of big deer I've ever known, use to tell a little story about killing big deer. He would say "Where's the best place for me to wait in the house if I wanted to kill my wife?" He would go on and say "I could wait in the kitchen and eventually get her or I could wait in the bedroom, but if I was serious about killing her I would wait in the hallway." That's how he hunted big deer. He figured out where they slept and where they ate and he waited somewhere in between.

Now to apply that wisdom to practical situations. Never hunt food plots or bait. Besides bait is for people that can't hunt and those people don't deserve a big deer, and bait rarely results in a big deer anyway (they'll figure out what's going on and come in at night just like with most food plots). Set-up your food plots and then put shooting lanes 100 to 200 yards away. And have multiple ways to your shooting lanes so that you can always have the wind in your favor. I used the word "food plot" but think of it more as a kitchen and have multiple food sources there such as persimmon trees, sawtooth oaks, food plots with plants for different seasons, a mineral block, and so on. But don't over do your time there. Remember that's their kitchen and not your garden. You want them to feel secure and safe. Keep it thick, which isn't a problem because you aren't hunting there. You're hunting the shooting lanes that cover how they go in and come out.

That's something to think about anyway.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #7

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy1997 View Post
me and my dad have hunted the same land for years and there really hasn't been much activity other than does and some rather small 4 and 6's. we were just curious some of your tips for bringing that "buck of a lifetime" would be. we know that they are there we have seen them (there's like 3 i think) but there is too many restrictions here in VA. for intense no baiting which cuts food plot's. corn, grain, apples ect. point is we are looking for ways to bring in that "buck of a lifetime" without violating any of the laws. thanks in advance for any advice.

how big is the place? the larger bucks you see might be coverin a good bit of territory.....especially if huntin leases are small plots, sittin side-by-side.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #8

We have people here in NC that have a small parcel of land. They spend their summer grooming it, planting food for deer. When hunting season opens they only have access to their property from one direction. They enter their property every chance they get, no matter what direction the wind is blowing from. They might get a limit but they never kill the deer they desire. They spend many days in the field not seeing a thing.

There is another guy that has hunting spots all over the place. He got involved in the community. People invite him to hunt on their land. When he is scouting if he sees a damaged fence he has a few staples and a hammer/hatchet/butt of a pistol, something to fix the fence. He never mentions fixing the fence but the farmer knew the fence needed repair and he knows who did it. The farmer mentions this hunter to other farmers. He gets more invites and he keeps doing little neighborly things. Next thing you know he has many places to hunt with countless ways to access them all. When he hunts the wind is always in his face. People tell him they have seen trophy deer. He kills these trophy deer with little effort. He has the entire county scouting for him.

See why it's so difficult to kill a lot of nice deer?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #9

We have people here in NC that have a small parcel of land. They spend their summer grooming it, planting food for deer. When hunting season opens they only have access to their property from one direction. They enter their property every chance they get, no matter what direction the wind is blowing from. They might get a limit but they never kill the deer they desire. They spend many days in the field not seeing a thing.

There is another guy that has hunting spots all over the place. He got involved in the community. People invite him to hunt on their land. When he is scouting if he sees a damaged fence he has a few staples and a hammer/hatchet/butt of a pistol, something to fix the fence. He never mentions fixing the fence but the farmer knew the fence needed repair and he knows who did it. The farmer mentions this hunter to other farmers. He gets more invites and he keeps doing little neighborly things. Next thing you know he has many places to hunt with countless ways to access them all. When he hunts the wind is always in his face. People tell him they have seen trophy deer. He kills these trophy deer with little effort. He has the entire county scouting for him.

See why it's so difficult to kill a lot of nice deer?

Old 09-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1308 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 1370

Fighting brings in the big bucks..................

When all else fails.