Trail Camera's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Trail Camera's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Trail Camera's

Has anyone ever used a game trail camera? I purchased one yesterday at Wally World for $50 made by WildGame Innovations. It's only a 1.3 MP camera, but it has an IR sensor good to 30' and an automatic flash supposedly good to 20'. It has 24 hr., Day, or Night modes and a programmable delay of 30sec., 1 min., or 2 min.( why would you use a delay?). It takes pics in .jpg format and with the onboard memory can store 22 pics. It also has a slot for an SD card wich can store up to 2,800 pics. It records date and time to track game movement and seems like a fun way to determine game activity. I will be using it on my own property so I hope it doesn't get stolen!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #2

My brother who has some land one county east of me, has two of these things. He gets lots of coons, javelina(occasionally) and sometimes a deer. He also gets turkey and anything else that can trigger the cam. IMHO all you can see is what WAS at your feeder. If you want to harvest this animal, YOU have to be there. On the other hand, knowing what is around can be an asset.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 09-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukech1 View Post
My brother who has some land one county east of me, has two of these things. He gets lots of coons, javelina(occasionally) and sometimes a deer. He also gets turkey and anything else that can trigger the cam. IMHO all you can see is what WAS at your feeder. If you want to harvest this animal, YOU have to be there. On the other hand, knowing what is around can be an asset.
I never used one before, but it's my understanding that the purpose of these camera's is to "pattern" deer. Each pic has a date and time stamp, so if you see the same buck in the same place, at the same time every so often, that would be a good indication of where to set-up a stand location. I'm not using a feeder, we have no javelina in NY and they're not legal here for deer. I'm just trying to pinpoint areas of frequent traffic.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-13-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:11 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I saw those in wallyworld and was tempted to get one. I didn't though as I don't have any place safe to set it up.

I am curious how good they work. To test how good it works, you could set it up in your back yard and walk in front of it I guess.

I would still be curious how good it works for you.

OC

"magbum"

Old 09-14-2009, 02:33 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC357 View Post
I saw those in wallyworld and was tempted to get one. I didn't though as I don't have any place safe to set it up.

I am curious how good they work. To test how good it works, you could set it up in your back yard and walk in front of it I guess.

I would still be curious how good it works for you.

OC

Well I tested it at home yesterday and the pic quality is pretty good for 1.3 MP. It came with a USB cable and downloading the pics is the same as a digital camera. I hung it on a tree next to one of my stands this afternoon and I guess I'll leave it there for a few days and see what it captured. I'll post the results if I have any...

Old 09-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Well I tested it at home yesterday and the pic quality is pretty good for 1.3 MP. It came with a USB cable and downloading the pics is the same as a digital camera. I hung it on a tree next to one of my stands this afternoon and I guess I'll leave it there for a few days and see what it captured. I'll post the results if I have any...
Sounds good. You will find out how many deer come by your stand. Could be interesting.

I want to see bigfoot pic's.....haha They claim he has been sighted around Whitehall several times. Maybe he will wander over your way???

OC

"magbum"

Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I use a StealthCam. It has produced many pics. The date and time stamp is a huge help. I've gotten a few bucks, but mostly does. A hunting buddy uses two cams in different areas. He has come up with some huge bucks, but always at night. I will be setting mine back out this week and I will check it next week. I always use scent cover on the strap, my path and clothes as if I were actually out hunting when I set-up the camera. Human presence in the woods after several months of none can possibly change the travel routes.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #8

we have a few that we use where we hunt. Its nice to see ALL of the deer in the area for a few months before we hunt so that we know what to shoot, and what's out there. We have the digital one that you plug into the tv and view on there. neato

Old 09-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The delay is a nice feature if your trail came is set up by a feeder. That keeps you from getting tons of photos of the same game. Mine is set on a 10 min. delay still average 30+ photos a 24 hr. period. I have the same brand, the time and date feature is starting to crap out after a couple of years, still taking photos though. We use the SD card and check photos once a week.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-BOLT View Post
The delay is a nice feature if your trail came is set up by a feeder. That keeps you from getting tons of photos of the same game. Mine is set on a 10 min. delay still average 30+ photos a 24 hr. period. I have the same brand, the time and date feature is starting to crap out after a couple of years, still taking photos though. We use the SD card and check photos once a week.
Thanks for the info - I was wondering what purpose the delay served (other than allowing me to get out of the target area after hanging the camera). I don't have a feeder and my camera has a fixed minimum delay of 30 sec. which will be more of a hindrance than a help since any deer just passing through will probably not be captured unless they hang around the "target area" for 30 seconds...

Quote:
I use a StealthCam. It has produced many pics. The date and time stamp is a huge help. I've gotten a few bucks, but mostly does. A hunting buddy uses two cams in different areas. He has come up with some huge bucks, but always at night. I will be setting mine back out this week and I will check it next week. I always use scent cover on the strap, my path and clothes as if I were actually out hunting when I set-up the camera. Human presence in the woods after several months of none can possibly change the travel routes.
Yeah, the problem here is that the big bucks are nocturnal. I don't use attractant scents, I shower with scent-free soap and use Hunter Specialties "Scent-a-Way" to wash my hunting clothes, and sometimes I'll use a fall foliage cover scent that smells like dirt. I also rake all the leaves off the path to my stand. It's a pain in the a$$ since my path is 1/4 mile long. I may use a leaf blower this year...

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-15-2009 at 12:12 AM.