trail cameras
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > trail cameras

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default trail cameras

I'm looking to get a couple of new trail cameras. I have used primos, wildgame, and Moultrie in the past and they all work alright, but I've had different issues with each. Does anyone have anything that they have used and can recommend for years of trouble free service?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2741 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

rodl,

I have had several different brands of trail cameras over the years until I ran into the Cuddeback Brand. Now I will use nothing else. I like the Cuddeback Attack IR Model and have had excellent luck with them. They are fast triggered with quality pictures both day and night and are so simple to set up and operate a child can do it. Others if you do not do this or that correctly you return to find they did not operate or take pictures since you left them. So my recommendation hands down is the Cuddeback Brand and specifically for me the Cuddeback Attack IR. Try "one" I think you will be impressed. I now have 6 of them. I also have the Cuddeback Safes for them at the locations I use them. Great Cameras!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 08-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
That looks like it hurt
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 793 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Not to hijack the thread but I am contemplating spending some pretty good money on some too. I saw a nice 4 camera set from Leupold just wondering if anyone can comment on them? Thanks

Old 08-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2681 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
rodl,

I have had several different brands of trail cameras over the years until I ran into the Cuddeback Brand. Now I will use nothing else. I like the Cuddeback Attack IR Model and have had excellent luck with them. They are fast triggered with quality pictures both day and night and are so simple to set up and operate a child can do it. Others if you do not do this or that correctly you return to find they did not operate or take pictures since you left them. So my recommendation hands down is the Cuddeback Brand and specifically for me the Cuddeback Attack IR. Try "one" I think you will be impressed. I now have 6 of them. I also have the Cuddeback Safes for them at the locations I use them. Great Cameras!

Similar experience. I went through a Moultree and another, forget the name, until I coughed up some extra for a Cuddeback. Better sensor, better quality pics. I used it to monitor my back yard, and even photographed the cardinals close up, it is that good.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:23 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 598

I have 4 of the Browning Recon Force trail camera's now. They have been excellent camera's,and the price was really good on them.
I've had Bushnell,Moultrie,and Wildgame Innovation camera's in the past. The Bushnell's worked great for a couple years,then I had problems with them.One stopped taking pictures,and the other wouldn't stop taking them after it was first triggered.
As usual,Bushnell Customer Service was totally useless. I sent both camera's in for repair,and they sent me a postcard in the mail saying they were beyond repair. Really,they can't replace the trigger set-up in these things? I have had problems in the past with Bushnell CS,and after this,you couldn't give me ANY Bushnell product.

The Moultrie camera's that I've had worked OK,but since they used "D" batteries,the battery life sucked. They also had really slow trigger times.
The Wildgame camera's are complete junk,and I wouldn't buy another.

You will get the best battery life out of the camera's that use "AA" batteries. They will last for several months,and take thousand's of pictures.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 08-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1342 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Can someone please help me ?........I never did get the whole trail camera's thing............................If I wanted to know what was there, I went & looked !.........

File Type: jpg index.jpg (3.4 KB, 20 views)

When all else fails.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Can someone please help me ?........I never did get the whole trail camera's thing............................If I wanted to know what was there, I went & looked !.........
its hard enough for me to find time during hunting season let alone during the offseason to just sit and hunt nothing in the woods. to gain insight of how many and what size the animals are... and of what variety.

i picked up a moultrie cam at a yard sale this summer. tried it out in the back yard and i can aggree it seems to take a few moments before snapping a picture. but the pics looked alright. as far as battery llife and such i guess i'll see soon.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 08-12-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:31 AM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
You must hunt a small piece of land.
We have 760 acres to cover. It's a lot easier letting the camera's do the work.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 08-13-2014, 05:31 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1342 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
You must hunt a small piece of land.
We have 760 acres to cover. It's a lot easier letting the camera's do the work.
Yeah it`s just a little spot, a little over 1500 acres !....................A little over 2 & 1/2 square miles.
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (22.6 KB, 13 views)

When all else fails.

Last edited by 303tom; 08-13-2014 at 05:34 AM.