Thinking about hunting.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Thinking about hunting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Thinking about hunting.

How it started. Buddy told me you can shoot your guns in the Stanislas National Forest.

In Modesto and it's not that far. So I was looking in to it and was thinking would be nice to shoot rabbits or squirrels. But you need a hunting license. So wanted to know the store on hunting. Is it too late to take the hunting class ?
Do I need to find a buddy to hunt with? Can I really shoot in the Stanislas National Forest??
Target or small game? Would be cool hunt again.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #2

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts

[QUOTE="brockly"]How it started. Buddy told me you can shoot your guns in the Stanislas National Forest. In Modesto and it's not that far. So I was looking in to it and was thinking would be nice to shoot rabbits or squirrels. But you need a hunting license. So wanted to know the store on hunting. Is it too late to take the hunting class ? Do I need to find a buddy to hunt with? Can I really shoot in the Stanislas National Forest?? Target or small game? Would be cool hunt again.[/

I don't know wut State you in however you can go online and look up the game and Fish Department four your state they will have all the regulations available on the website

As far as hunting just to shoot a Gun that's just not right

When I go hunting I normally go with a friend whatever we hunt will be eaten by either me or him unless it's a rapid that's population control and they don't have food se

Old 10-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #3

Unless it's a rabbit they don't have food value

Old 10-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #4

I don't know how I keep sending these unfinished posts

I've been on hunting trips where I never fired a bullet either being the location turned out to be unsafe or what I was hunting for was not there

If you just want to shoot a gun go to the gun range

Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 560 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 2821

He is in California, about 30 miles south from me.
I never have gone hunting to just target shoot, but I have gone up into the Stanislas to target shoot before, it has been a few years ago though. I now go to a gun range, since gas has gotten so high. I went this past weekend up to the south fork of the Stanislas river out of Columbia. I just did not go to shoot. I just felt like taking a drive to get out of town for awhile.

Ken

Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne1
He is in California, about 30 miles south from me. I never have gone hunting to just target shoot, but I have gone up into the Stanislas to target shoot before, it has been a few years ago though. I now go to a gun range, since gas has gotten so high. I went this past weekend up to the south fork of the Stanislas river out of Columbia. I just did not go to shoot. I just felt like taking a drive to get out of town for awhile. Ken

Yeah ken. Just want to be out in the open and shoot. I have a member ship to a gun range. But would just like to shoot squirrels. Or plink some metal targets.

The question you need a hunting license to shoot small game? I think you do. I think that's a safe bet.

Would love to know someone around Modesto that had land. But I'm just a city folk. Lol. When your 44 you dint make new friends.

But new to hunting, if I like hunting I might get a bigger gun and try bigger game. Will ask my buddy's if they want to try hunting. Maybe find someone to learn off of.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

So, you know they have bears in parts of Commiefornia, right?

http://www.wildliferecipes.net/Game_recipes/Large_Game_Recipes/Bear_recipes/bear_steaks_seasoning_recipes.asp

Sic 'em!

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/hunting/huntingfaqs.html FAQ's on the hunting license there.

Seriously though, whatever you kill, feed it to somebody or something. If you pop some squirrels, there are recipes and somebody will LOVE it. I will never forget my Grandmother asking me to get some squirrels for an aging buddy of hers who wanted some on his way out.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

racer_x Likes This 
Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1212 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by akms47nagont View Post
Rabbit is pretty good in a gumbo, so is squirrel, or even a combo gumbo.

Have also eaten both fried rabbit and squirrel.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by akms47nagont View Post
Thousands of coyotes disagree.

I liked rabbit when I was a kid.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21641 Times on 12276 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Rabbit is pretty good in a gumbo, so is squirrel, or even a combo gumbo.

Have also eaten both fried rabbit and squirrel.
fried rabbit is some good eating!

my advice is the same my father gave my brother and i years ago. if you don't plan on eating it, then don't kill it. my only exception to that rule is if i am being attacked or the animal is rabid.

i have seen too many deer aover the years that had the head cut off, and the rest left to go to waste. very unethical and irresponsible hunting practices.