Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Thinking about hunting. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/thinking-about-hunting-98398/)

brockly 10-09-2013 11:33 AM

Thinking about hunting.

How it started. Buddy told me you can shoot your guns in the Stanislas National Forest.

In Modesto and it's not that far. So I was looking in to it and was thinking would be nice to shoot rabbits or squirrels. But you need a hunting license. So wanted to know the store on hunting. Is it too late to take the hunting class ?
Do I need to find a buddy to hunt with? Can I really shoot in the Stanislas National Forest??
Target or small game? Would be cool hunt again.

akms47nagont 10-09-2013 12:08 PM

[QUOTE="brockly"]How it started. Buddy told me you can shoot your guns in the Stanislas National Forest. In Modesto and it's not that far. So I was looking in to it and was thinking would be nice to shoot rabbits or squirrels. But you need a hunting license. So wanted to know the store on hunting. Is it too late to take the hunting class ? Do I need to find a buddy to hunt with? Can I really shoot in the Stanislas National Forest?? Target or small game? Would be cool hunt again.[/

I don't know wut State you in however you can go online and look up the game and Fish Department four your state they will have all the regulations available on the website

As far as hunting just to shoot a Gun that's just not right

When I go hunting I normally go with a friend whatever we hunt will be eaten by either me or him unless it's a rapid that's population control and they don't have food se

akms47nagont 10-09-2013 12:10 PM

Unless it's a rabbit they don't have food value

akms47nagont 10-09-2013 12:14 PM

I don't know how I keep sending these unfinished posts

I've been on hunting trips where I never fired a bullet either being the location turned out to be unsafe or what I was hunting for was not there

If you just want to shoot a gun go to the gun range

Airborne1 10-09-2013 12:21 PM

He is in California, about 30 miles south from me.
I never have gone hunting to just target shoot, but I have gone up into the Stanislas to target shoot before, it has been a few years ago though. I now go to a gun range, since gas has gotten so high. I went this past weekend up to the south fork of the Stanislas river out of Columbia. I just did not go to shoot. I just felt like taking a drive to get out of town for awhile.

Ken

brockly 10-09-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airborne1
He is in California, about 30 miles south from me. I never have gone hunting to just target shoot, but I have gone up into the Stanislas to target shoot before, it has been a few years ago though. I now go to a gun range, since gas has gotten so high. I went this past weekend up to the south fork of the Stanislas river out of Columbia. I just did not go to shoot. I just felt like taking a drive to get out of town for awhile. Ken

Yeah ken. Just want to be out in the open and shoot. I have a member ship to a gun range. But would just like to shoot squirrels. Or plink some metal targets.

The question you need a hunting license to shoot small game? I think you do. I think that's a safe bet.

Would love to know someone around Modesto that had land. But I'm just a city folk. Lol. When your 44 you dint make new friends.

But new to hunting, if I like hunting I might get a bigger gun and try bigger game. Will ask my buddy's if they want to try hunting. Maybe find someone to learn off of.

orangello 10-09-2013 08:36 PM

So, you know they have bears in parts of Commiefornia, right?

http://www.wildliferecipes.net/Game_recipes/Large_Game_Recipes/Bear_recipes/bear_steaks_seasoning_recipes.asp

:D Sic 'em!

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/hunting/huntingfaqs.html FAQ's on the hunting license there.

Seriously though, whatever you kill, feed it to somebody or something. If you pop some squirrels, there are recipes and somebody will LOVE it. I will never forget my Grandmother asking me to get some squirrels for an aging buddy of hers who wanted some on his way out.

Gatoragn 10-09-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akms47nagont (Post 1396361)

Rabbit is pretty good in a gumbo, so is squirrel, or even a combo gumbo.

Have also eaten both fried rabbit and squirrel.

orangello 10-09-2013 10:19 PM

^^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by akms47nagont (Post 1396361)

Thousands of coyotes disagree. :D

I liked rabbit when I was a kid.

Axxe55 10-09-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 1396795)
Rabbit is pretty good in a gumbo, so is squirrel, or even a combo gumbo.

Have also eaten both fried rabbit and squirrel.

fried rabbit is some good eating!:D

my advice is the same my father gave my brother and i years ago. if you don't plan on eating it, then don't kill it. my only exception to that rule is if i am being attacked or the animal is rabid.

i have seen too many deer aover the years that had the head cut off, and the rest left to go to waste. very unethical and irresponsible hunting practices.