Teen killed in hunting accident - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Teen killed in hunting accident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I would think that the lack of common safty was in play here.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i simply cannot comprehend how that can happen. it just amazes me how rock stupid people are. firing into brush becasue it moved. how is that moron sure he has a heart/lung shot or a shoulder shot???? how does he know it wasnt a bear and shot over its head to piss it off?? just disregard any sort of common sense and crank off rounds into the brush...

that is EXACTLY the sort of individual that deserves to lose his freedom for a good long time. there is no excuse for such things. shooting an animal through and through and the round glanceing off a rock or some hidden object and streaking off and accidentaly hitting someone is one thing but just cranking rounds into a brush pile??
Sad thing is, There's a place in South Florida called Corbit and going there is almost a death sentence becuz people randomly fire into moving brush. Seroiusly, For Humans being the Dominant Animal on the planet we in general can be major dumbsh1ts like that.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:16 AM   #13

Hey guys, first post here. I'm glad to be here and hope to learn a lot from you all!

That being said, I cannot help but wonder how the uncle (idiotic and irresponsible as he apparently is) feels, knowing that he has just killed his own nephew in an easily avoidable, tragically stupid scenario. I personally could not imagine doing such a thing (and never will, because I follow the basic tenants of safe hunting). I would never be able to look my brother (or sister) in the eye again after having been directly responsible for the death of their child.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg523 View Post
Hey guys, first post here. I'm glad to be here and hope to learn a lot from you all!

That being said, I cannot help but wonder how the uncle (idiotic and irresponsible as he apparently is) feels, knowing that he has just killed his own nephew in an easily avoidable, tragically stupid scenario. I personally could not imagine doing such a thing (and never will, because I follow the basic tenants of safe hunting). I would never be able to look my brother (or sister) in the eye again after having been directly responsible for the death of their child.
Yea, Thats why I hunt alone. I dont like being responsible for other people, If anyone's gonna get shot by me when Im hunting, it's a Deer or my own Dumb***.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 AM   #15

In my town a few weeks ago a boy i believe he was 13 fell out of a treestand and his rifle went off and killed him. gun safety is so important if youre gonna use a rifle you got to know how to be safe with it so tragedies like these dont happen

Old 12-16-2009, 12:17 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ive heard this happen many times before, shoot at a moving bush trying to get the kill and you end up killing a person because you dont know what you are shooting at. this happened to the son of a fellow in my hunters ed class. his uncle seen the bushes move thought it was a deer and shot, but when in fact it was his nephew.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #17

Yea, That's another thing that's dangerous, Tree stands. Some many people Fall alseep and fall over the edge, Thats recently sparked some Hunting and Fishing magazines to say that if your in a tree stand you should strap something around you so you only fall a few feet. Bet that kids parents aare getting Hammered too, The emotional part of their child dying and the Law on their Asses about letting a minor go alone with a gun...

Old 12-16-2009, 12:26 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well techincally there is nothing to say about a minor going hunting alone, if they have had hunters ed and passed then they should be qualified to go alone. but obviously falling out of a treestand......that doesnt sound like hes taken the class. wearing a safety harness is something they harp on just as much as keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
well techincally there is nothing to say about a minor going hunting alone, if they have had hunters ed and passed then they should be qualified to go alone. but obviously falling out of a treestand......that doesnt sound like hes taken the class. wearing a safety harness is something they harp on just as much as keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction.
True...... but most people figure I dont need a harness, Not like Im not able to keep myself on/in the stand. Then they get to hunting and Lean over to see what that noise was or Fall asleep and Bam Their gone. I dont think the harness would help though if your getting into the stand and slip on the Icy metal ladder. I know thats taken atleast 2 guys in the surrounding Counties.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #20

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Don't know where this is all headed but:

-Tree stands come with harnesses. If you don't use them, then it is up to you. Government regulation on that is just plain bigger government.

-State laws regulate minors and hunting here in Ohio.

-Find a trustworthy hunting partner if you are hunting where there are other hunters in the area. Wear at least the legal Blaze Orange, better yet, more.

-Safety is number one with every hunter I know. So don't attack the sport, attack the idiots not being safe.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!