Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Suppressors for hunting" legislation in Oklahoma!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Default Suppressors for hunting" legislation in Oklahoma!

Suppressors for hunting" legislation in Oklahoma!

Always nice to see "pro-can" legislation. Hopefully hunters will be able to use suppressors whilst hunting in Oklahoma soon!

"OH BOY!!!"

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #2

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Jack are you sure this is pro-gun and not some hippie anti-noise pollution movement?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Suppressors were originally created for hunting so as not to scare other game away when taking a shot. I think we should all have at least one!!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Jack are you sure this is pro-gun and not some hippie anti-noise pollution movement?
Who cares? The way I see it, if it passes, it's a win-win situation for both sides, but here in Oklahoma, we are very red and have very favorable gun laws.

I see the obvious benefits for me personally, and to other hunters. It will not be a mandatory thing if passed, it will be just an option, if one chooses to utilize it.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 01-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Who cares? The way I see it, if it passes, it's a win-win situation for both sides, but here in Oklahoma, we are very red and have very favorable gun laws.

I see the obvious benefits for me personally, and to other hunters. It will not be a mandatory thing if passed, it will be just an option, if one chooses to utilize it.

Jack
Jack I think you are right in OKs case, and I agree we should be able to use them. What worries me (I think like the "other" side) is that it could be made mandatory in other states. So guys that want to hunt with rifle/ pistol would have to request permission (tax stamp) and fork over the cost of a can just to hunt. Would take a lot of guys out of the mix. I may be off the mark, but it could happen. If they lifted the tax, no issue, but pricing us out of the shooting sport is an ongoing effort on the anti 2A's part.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Jack I think you are right in OKs case, and I agree we should be able to use them. What worries me (I think like the "other" side) is that it could be made mandatory in other states. So guys that want to hunt with rifle/ pistol would have to request permission (tax stamp) and fork over the cost of a can just to hunt. Would take a lot of guys out of the mix. I may be off the mark, but it could happen. If they lifted the tax, no issue, but pricing us out of the shooting sport is an ongoing effort on the anti 2A's part.
I see your point Hillbilly, and I would damn well hope that it would not come to be a mandatory law, anywhere. Here, I think the bill would be killed if that language was ever put in the bill and came to a vote. You would have not only a large population of hunters upset, but a large majority of voters who are gun owners, as well. I would think the ATF would have to make some cost changes to the tax stamp and make it much more affordable or change the requirements, if it indeed became mandatory elsewhere, because IMO, hunters, gun owners, pro-gun groups, Congressman and supporters would not stand for it, and especially the hunters!

I will closely watch this and keep ya'll updated on it's progress.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Sound Moderators

As the article says we have them in Europe and here in the UK it is common place to request a firearm of a particular calibre and a sound moderator (NB not a silencer !!) at the same time. I think you have been a victim of your own success, that's film success as Joe Public thinks putting a "silencer" (as they would call it) on a gun reduces the noise to several Db less that a gnat's fart. Even though we know it isn't true Jimmy Cagney and co have been reinforcing this myth but hopefully it sounds like things are about to change.
In the UK we never have issues raised relating to moderator abuse and in fact for low powered air weapons (less than 12ft/lbs) moderators can be purchased without a permit and by anyone.

photopro

Co-owner: Hunter World UK

Old 01-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #8

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

As an avid hunter, class 3 owner, and pro 2A gun guy,

I feel suppressors have no valid purpose for use by a citizen hunting. As a hunter, I welcome hearing other hunters shots. Let's me know where they are, and when and where the animals might be moving.

They were using suppressed carbines to cull deer out of a city park up here In the metro. That's a valid use.

Other than that I don't see one.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-11-2010, 01:38 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
As an avid hunter, class 3 owner, and pro 2A gun guy,

I feel suppressors have no valid purpose for use by a citizen hunting.

They were using suppressed carbines to cull deer out of a city park up here In the metro. That's a valid use.

Other than that I don't see one.
Here is the kind of divide that always hurts us gun owners. We individually think that what we personally own/ have is valid, but for "everybody else" we make the argument that "you dont need that, no one needs X or should have Y" or that only the authorities should use them. Cls III owner that doesn't want cans used for legal hunting purposes, I am sure there is a hunter out there who doesnt think anyone should own a machinegun. Pull together boys, pull together.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #10

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Now, I never said I thought others shouldn't own what I do.

If you are legally capable of owning a gun, then you should be able to have class 3.

Silencers and full auto have no viable use in the hunting arena. You simply cannot dissuade me of this.

I do ask you to give me three good reasons to use either though.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?