Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Suppressors for hunting" legislation in Oklahoma! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/suppressors-hunting-legislation-oklahoma-22014/)

IGETEVEN 01-10-2010 04:55 PM

Suppressors for hunting" legislation in Oklahoma!
 
Suppressors for hunting" legislation in Oklahoma!

Always nice to see "pro-can" legislation. Hopefully hunters will be able to use suppressors whilst hunting in Oklahoma soon! http://www.okshooters.com/forums/ima...ies/tongue.gif

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l6...gWsilencer.jpg


"OH BOY!!!"

Jack

canebrake 01-10-2010 05:39 PM

Jack are you sure this is pro-gun and not some hippie anti-noise pollution movement?

spittinfire 01-10-2010 05:52 PM

Suppressors were originally created for hunting so as not to scare other game away when taking a shot. I think we should all have at least one!!

IGETEVEN 01-10-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 210915)
Jack are you sure this is pro-gun and not some hippie anti-noise pollution movement?

Who cares? The way I see it, if it passes, it's a win-win situation for both sides, but here in Oklahoma, we are very red and have very favorable gun laws. ;)

I see the obvious benefits for me personally, and to other hunters. It will not be a mandatory thing if passed, it will be just an option, if one chooses to utilize it.

Jack

hillbilly68 01-10-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 210921)
Who cares? The way I see it, if it passes, it's a win-win situation for both sides, but here in Oklahoma, we are very red and have very favorable gun laws. ;)

I see the obvious benefits for me personally, and to other hunters. It will not be a mandatory thing if passed, it will be just an option, if one chooses to utilize it.

Jack

Jack I think you are right in OKs case, and I agree we should be able to use them. What worries me (I think like the "other" side) is that it could be made mandatory in other states. So guys that want to hunt with rifle/ pistol would have to request permission (tax stamp) and fork over the cost of a can just to hunt. Would take a lot of guys out of the mix. I may be off the mark, but it could happen. If they lifted the tax, no issue, but pricing us out of the shooting sport is an ongoing effort on the anti 2A's part.

IGETEVEN 01-10-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly68 (Post 211004)
Jack I think you are right in OKs case, and I agree we should be able to use them. What worries me (I think like the "other" side) is that it could be made mandatory in other states. So guys that want to hunt with rifle/ pistol would have to request permission (tax stamp) and fork over the cost of a can just to hunt. Would take a lot of guys out of the mix. I may be off the mark, but it could happen. If they lifted the tax, no issue, but pricing us out of the shooting sport is an ongoing effort on the anti 2A's part.

I see your point Hillbilly, and I would damn well hope that it would not come to be a mandatory law, anywhere. Here, I think the bill would be killed if that language was ever put in the bill and came to a vote. You would have not only a large population of hunters upset, but a large majority of voters who are gun owners, as well. I would think the ATF would have to make some cost changes to the tax stamp and make it much more affordable or change the requirements, if it indeed became mandatory elsewhere, because IMO, hunters, gun owners, pro-gun groups, Congressman and supporters would not stand for it, and especially the hunters!

I will closely watch this and keep ya'll updated on it's progress.

Jack

photopro 01-11-2010 12:48 AM

Sound Moderators
 
As the article says we have them in Europe and here in the UK it is common place to request a firearm of a particular calibre and a sound moderator (NB not a silencer !!) at the same time. I think you have been a victim of your own success, that's film success as Joe Public thinks putting a "silencer" (as they would call it) on a gun reduces the noise to several Db less that a gnat's fart. Even though we know it isn't true Jimmy Cagney and co have been reinforcing this myth but hopefully it sounds like things are about to change.
In the UK we never have issues raised relating to moderator abuse and in fact for low powered air weapons (less than 12ft/lbs) moderators can be purchased without a permit and by anyone.

photopro

willfully armed 01-11-2010 02:06 AM

As an avid hunter, class 3 owner, and pro 2A gun guy,

I feel suppressors have no valid purpose for use by a citizen hunting. As a hunter, I welcome hearing other hunters shots. Let's me know where they are, and when and where the animals might be moving.

They were using suppressed carbines to cull deer out of a city park up here In the metro. That's a valid use.

Other than that I don't see one.

hillbilly68 01-11-2010 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 211065)
As an avid hunter, class 3 owner, and pro 2A gun guy,

I feel suppressors have no valid purpose for use by a citizen hunting.

They were using suppressed carbines to cull deer out of a city park up here In the metro. That's a valid use.

Other than that I don't see one.

Here is the kind of divide that always hurts us gun owners. We individually think that what we personally own/ have is valid, but for "everybody else" we make the argument that "you dont need that, no one needs X or should have Y" or that only the authorities should use them. Cls III owner that doesn't want cans used for legal hunting purposes, I am sure there is a hunter out there who doesnt think anyone should own a machinegun. Pull together boys, pull together.

willfully armed 01-11-2010 04:32 AM

Now, I never said I thought others shouldn't own what I do.

If you are legally capable of owning a gun, then you should be able to have class 3.

Silencers and full auto have no viable use in the hunting arena. You simply cannot dissuade me of this.

I do ask you to give me three good reasons to use either though.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:05 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.