Superperformance .243 ammo for whitetail? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Superperformance .243 ammo for whitetail?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default deer axe .243

hornadys are great ..but kinda $$$ the new winchester powermax hp red box .243 are very accurate and a sledge hammer on deer ...the bullet design is engineered for whitetails deep penetration ,expansion and hydraulic shock .

Old 08-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #12

Liked 1278 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
hornadys are great ..but kinda $$$ the new winchester powermax hp red box .243 are very accurate and a sledge hammer on deer ...the bullet design is engineered for whitetails deep penetration ,expansion and hydraulic shock .
The SST is available in both the Superperformance and the Custom options from Hornady. I shoot the Supers in my 280 and the Customs in my 308.

The SST is an excellent bullet as is Nosler's Accubond.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #13

I have a friend that just loved to rave about his 270 ..til he bought a 280

Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #14

Liked 1278 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
I have a friend that just loved to rave about his 270 ..til he bought a 280
I have one of each. Like em both. My .270 is a Ruger M77. My .280 is an H&R Handi Rifle.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #15

I.ve bought the compact handi-rifle in .243 for my children ,installed an adjustable ar stock ,4x weaver ....perfect, affordable,small child compatible shooter they can grow into . 1 trick to help forearm be a little more free-floating I took a small rubber tire off son's toy truck (had only 2 on it anyway)installed it around barrel /forearm stud like a rubber washer which gave me about an 1/8 between forearm and barrel ....tightened up 100 yrd groups to about 1.5 -2 moa ..if I lay off on the java monster coffee drink .

Old 11-23-2014, 05:05 AM   #16

Default Successful Whitetail Hunts

Well I shot 2 whitetails with the Hornady Superformance in my Savage Axis 243. Both deer were hit in the heart and lungs. The doe was at 146 yds and dropped in her tracks. The buck was at 215 yds and ran about 70 yds. It was a stroke of luck that we found him in heavy brush. There was absolutely no blood trail. Neither deer had exit wounds. The round is extremely accurate but at longer distances may not have the knockdown power or penetration to produce blood for tracking. I will still use it but not on long distances shots. For that I use the Savage 270 with Hornady Superformance.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #17

Liked 2208 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 820

You have to remember that the 243 is the bottom rung of deer rifles. You want the maximum velocity from your cartridges. But maximum expansion is not always such a good thing. If you have a bullet that achieves maximum expansion in soft tissue when you hit large bones the bullet is going to fragment and quite often it will fail to create an exit wound. Without an exit wound you will not have a dependable blood trail to find the deer. An exit wound also means the deer will bleed out faster.

The 100 gr Winchester super x has been getting the job done for many years. The Super X bullet stays together no matter what bones you hit but it will expand in soft tissue. I know 5gr doesn't sound like a lot but all of the full power 95 and 100 gr cartridges have about the same amount of energy. Personally I would rather give up the extra 75 ft lb of energy you get in the superperformance load for a bullet I know will pass through the deer that you get in the super X.

I got lucky and found a Hornady SST 300 gr shotgun slug I shot a doe that weighed about 140 lb. About half of the slug was gone. After passing through the deer the slug hit crosstie that was very soft. I doubt the crosstie destroyed the slug. I hit the doe right behind the shoulder. The slug exited right in front of her other shoulder. The doe was walking away when I shot her. The only bones the slug hit were ribs.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #18

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Old thread...but what the heck. My father deer hunted with a Winchester 100 in .243 for years. Always used Winchester Super X Power Point 100gr ammo. Never lost a deer. I shot a few with that rifle and was amazed at how well the ammo performed and the cartridge itself. I bought a Savage Axis II XP in .243 this year...and a few boxes of the Super X. 8pt buck dropped in his tracks and my daughter's spike ran about ten drunken steps. The .243 Winchester is a fine cartridge to harvest whitetail. It's all about shot placement. I do agree that a larger caliber will leave a bigger hole and drain more blood, but I like my .243 just fine.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #19

The Savage Axis is a super accurate gun. Thankfully, they are fitting them with better triggers now. The one I have had the heaviest trigger imaginable-you checked the safety each time you went to shoot (not just me, either!). We replaced it with a Timney trigger, and it is so sweet! My other Savage is a 111 which comes with an Accutrigger.

So, John_Deer, are you saying that you have bullet pass through with the .243 100 gr. Super X? Not one of the deer we have shot with the .243 have had an exit wound. The rounds we used have been Rem Core-Lokt, Hornady American Whitetail, and Hornady Superformance.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #20

Liked 288 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 32

blind_nija Maybe more about experience with the SST than one deer than ran a little bit. I have shoot deer from 20feet to 425 yards over close to 20 years and never had a bullet leave the deer. Hard ever found the bullet in one piece . Never had a deer take more than a couple steps before going down but I am using a fast 7139gr mm. You do need to pick your shots well to get a good top of heart bottom of lung shoot to drop them quickly or a spine shoot and that's not practicle .

There is another company that offers the same performance level with the same 95gr sst from Underwood Ammo . Theyrun specials regularly with No Shipping charges on most holidays . Make a deal for great defense handgun or hunting ammo to your door.

There is one bullet than can open up your bullet placement and can give you pass thru shots. Many ammo companies load the Barnes TSX or TTSX bullet in ether 80 or 85gr. IDon't let this lighter bullet mislead you , it is a bone smashing fast bullet that can travel thru a lot of tissue , always expands and stays together and if all you have is a quatering to you or away shot its Not a problem with ether barns bullets. Cost is higher but still not much for a died deer out to 300 yards . The barnes bullet is loaded buy buffalo bore , piece ammo, aka ted nugent, silver state armory , federal "trophy copper "barnes and buy BARNE ammo and hornady has there own version called a GMX bullet . Just another choice to try.

Last edited by hardluk1; 12-04-2014 at 04:33 PM.