Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   strange luck with trapping (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/strange-luck-trapping-90327/)

Nathantc 05-08-2013 12:40 PM

strange luck with trapping

ok this is round two and yet another fox in the trap

first time all i used was bird seed, this time a raw ear of corn

so tell me,, how is it im getting fox and not one of the young squirrels im trying to get
i hear fox are supposed to be hard to trap,, im not desenting the cage other than washing it with a water hose and im not hiding it at all,, its in the open field

mountainman13 05-08-2013 12:41 PM

They must be having a hard time finding food.

Nathantc 05-08-2013 12:51 PM

there is a lot of them out here,, shot 4 in one night and the very next morning i got on in my trap again,,, we have more predators here then prey so that is a possibility

to many

coyotes
bobcats
cougars
HOGS

but i never knew a fox would be interested in seed and corn

nitestalker 05-08-2013 01:10 PM

Fox will go where prey animals feed. Bird seed corn etc. is drawing these prey animals. The prey animals leave their spoor. This is no different than putting scent on your traps. :)

Nathantc 05-08-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1240712)
Fox will go where prey animals feed. Bird seed corn etc. is drawing these prey animals. The prey animals leave their spore. This is no different than putting scent on your traps. :)

the fox ate the entire ear of corn though

orangello 05-08-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathantc (Post 1240695)
there is a lot of them out here,, shot 4 in one night and the very next morning i got on in my trap again,,, we have more predators here then prey so that is a possibility

to many

coyotes
bobcats
cougars
HOGS

but i never knew a fox would be interested in seed and corn

[wonders if fox meat would be better bait for the locals]

Nathantc 05-08-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1240942)
[wonders if fox meat would be better bait for the locals]

what are you talking about :confused:

orangello 05-08-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathantc (Post 1241049)
what are you talking about :confused:

Catch more foxes as you have been and use their meat to catch coyotes. We hate coyotes down here.

BTW, Mom's dog loooooooves corn on the cob.

Nathantc 05-08-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1241052)
Catch more foxes as you have been and use their meat to catch coyotes. We hate coyotes down here.

BTW, Mom's dog loooooooves corn on the cob.

the wife wants to try and tame this fox being as its young,, so she is keeping it,, for coyotes i just catch a wild rabbit and tie it to a snare,,, they come right to it ever time

hope no animal lover get butt hurt cause yes i eat the rabbit if the yotes dont first

a domestic dog will eat just about any thing we eat,,, its odd for a fox to deviate from its natural diet though

winds-of-change 05-08-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathantc (Post 1241059)
the wife wants to try and tame this fox being as its young,, so she is keeping it

Very bad idea.